AARP and the photographers of Magnum Photos look at older people living in new ways around the world in A New Age.

Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: Retirement Apartment vs Retirement Village

Message 31 of 46

I consider myself one of the "less fortunate" and find this extremely reasonable.  I bought a nice 2 bed/2 bath, 950 sq ft home for $79,900.  Check it out on line.  Look up Happy Trails RV Resort, Surprise, Arizona.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 32 of 46
That is for the winter months. You can rent a nice place here - year-round - for about $700-800/month. That's a good deal and there are plenty of activities all summer long for us "desert rats"!
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 33 of 46

The highest HOA fee is about $185.00/month.  Rent during the winter is higher, around $1500/month.  However, if you wanted to rent a home, you can rent year-round for about half that price.  They have all kind of activities during the summer too!  It's a great place to live - I moved from San Diego and love it better here! 

Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 34 of 46

I checked it out, nothing under $1,000 to rent. We are talking affordable, or so I thought. This is wonderful for two income retiries, or those that have a nest egg, but what do the people with nothing saved because the 2008 Cricese took everything? Or the folks that had low wages to begin with and don't make enough to afford a deacent place? 

This is wonderful if you can afford it. I have been to AZ many times as I have family there. But I would like to see what gives for the less fortunate. 

Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 35 of 46

dale3595  Well, that's one.

Hey, hold on a min. That's your HOA fee? What does rent go for there? What does a home go for there? Inquiring minds want to know. (snicker, sorry feeling my oats today.) 

Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 36 of 46

Do they have a brochure or website?

Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 37 of 46

I would be afraid to live in Mexico even if it is cheaper.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 38 of 46

I live in Happy Trails RV Resort, a 55+ gated resort community.  It is located in Surprise, Arizona.  You DON'T need an RV to live here.  There are so many styles of homes and RV lots to choose from.  Also - YOU OWN YOUR LAND and the HOA is really reasonable (I pay $155.50 for a 2 bedroom/2 bath).  There are over 70 clubs you can join here (again, extremely reasonable), 4 swimming pools and spas.  We have trips, shows, etc.  We even have our own post office on the grounds. Check us out.  It is such a wonderful place to live and the homes/lots are really reasonable.

Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 39 of 46

Yes but, frahmfarm what if they don't want to let family behind, or are alone in the world and feel this change would be too much for them? Who of us actually dreams of leaving their country to find deacent housing? Very few Americans, and usually then with some kind of support system. 

This country needs to address the needs of it's Seniors, not ship them off to another country to forget about them. 

Please take no offence here. I am happy it workes out for you and your wife, but that is like saying there are inexpensive retirement communities for those that have little money. Cause it isn't true. 

Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 40 of 46

Exactly what I was thinking, but you said it so much better than I.     : )

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Have a question about AARP membership or benefits? Ask it in the AARP Help Membership forum, Benefits & Discounts forum, or General forum.

multiple white question marks with center red question mark