There's always more to explore with your AARP membership. Explore your member benefits today.
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: Retirement Apartment vs Retirement Village

Message 11 of 45

We bought our house in a small town just north of Puerto Vallarta.  I have seen rent that seems to be around the $500 a month price.  I have seen even cheaper if you aren't looking for something upscale.  I have also seen homes in sub divisions that sell for $69k.  Electricity can be high in the summer months as it gets hot and humid, much like the southern US.  If you are not a slave to the air conditioner electricity should run about $60 water runs $4.00 a month and I am not sure what propane costs.  Water heater and cooking is propane.  Gasoline is on a par with here in the states maybe even higher.  I would say about $4.00 per gallon.  Public transportation is cheap.  A bus ride to Puerto VAllarta is cheap.  I can't remember positively but I think about a dollar.  In PV you will find Home depot, Walmart, and Sam's Club.  In our small town there are thre large chain grocery stores and several small stores where you can buy fresh foods.  Food runs about half of here in the states.  There are other parts of Mexico with more temerate climates, but we prefer the ocean. 

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 12 of 45
Central Florida near the Villages. Leesburg or other places in Lake County.
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 13 of 45
Silly post. What do we do , start having kids now? And most people would rather dies than live with their kids! This thread is for REAL solutions that people can use right NOW.
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 14 of 45

I live in an over 55 community in Central Florida near the Villages.  I pay $125 a month HOA fees but, I do own my manufactured home. I have a guard at the gate, 3 golf courses, two pools, fitness center, tons of activities and clubs, etc. There are many other choices in this area. Buy with the land can be as low as $65,000 but, low HOA fees. (like mine)  Buy with renting the land can be as low as $8000 but, the monthly rental is $400 and up. This would be a nice, safe community with a pool and on a lake. There is little crime in this area, mostly Seniors and we also can shop and go to the Squares in the Villages. Lots of doctors and hospitals to choose from. And of course, Disney. I have an annual pass and go all the time. I am 1 1/2 hours to the beach and we have beautiful freshwater springs all around. Check out Lake County in Florida!

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 15 of 45
Where do you live in Mexico? How much is rent, utilities, etc?
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 16 of 45

So where exactly do you live in Mexico? How much is rent, utilities, etc.? I am considering a move

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 17 of 45

Good for you dale3595! I just wanted you to know that I agree with everything you said. I can't comprehend how so many want to see the country fail. My guess is that most never understood simple economics.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 18 of 45

Monitor Craigslist "Heartland Florida, Housing, Real Estate - By Owner", and Zillow, for a zip code in central FL. We bought a lakefront mobile home on a private lake in Avon Park in a 55+ community for $9,000. Brentwood Mobile Home Park. There is one for sale there now for $8900. No frills - no pool, exercise facility, or tennis courts - but there is a small clubhouse with games, a lakefront porch, a kitchen, a ping-pong table and two washers and dryers, a private boat ramp, and lots of peace and quiet. There are places in the park that go for $5,000 and one that recently sold for $3000 (there are only 30 homes in the park). Lot rent is $255/mo, plus utilities. There are parks with even cheaper rents, with paid garbage and/or water/sewer, although everything seems to be going up sharply in price now. There is a lovely little Mexican restaurant and grocery nearby that serves huge shrimp quesadillas for $4.50. Shopping and doctors are .25 miles away. The beach is about two hours away to the east or west. In my experience, realtors generally don't list these tiny, bare-bones, off-the-beaten-path gems.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 19 of 45
My retirement was not stellar. I lost a large chunk years ago to a shady contractor, whom I sued and won a judgment against, but he never worked on the books after. Recently, an opportunity came up to buy a place in a 55+ community in FL. I did and now I have a low HOA fee and utilities to cover. There may be options depending on situation.
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 20 of 45

My grandmother had the best solution. She had six children-- 5 daughters,1son. Technically she lived with her youngest daughter, my Aunt Pearl, who married very late in life, never had children, spoiled my sister and me something terrible. But what she did most of the time was visit her children in turn and stay with them for weeeks at a time. Such a good plan.

Kudos
Views