Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Periodic Contributor

Preparing mentally for retirement

I am planning to retire in October, and I initially I was excited, but I'm beginning to feel like I'm losing my identity and purpose. I have worked over 50 years, and I am extremely burned out and physically exhausted. I know it is the right time but I'm feeling a little sad at the same time. Any tips for preparing mentally for this life change?  

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
Anonymous
Not applicable

(3 comments) Hi @tm9853201 , you may want to work part-time doing something fun. Or volunteer. How about hobbies or family you have not seen for awhile. Maybe plan a vacation around stopping in to see them. What are your concerns? Boredom? Loss of human interaction with co-workers? Are you retiring because you want to? Nicole 🙂

View solution in original post

Anonymous
Not applicable

(1 comment) Hi @tm9853201 , sorry to hear about your health issues! 😪

You are very "wise" to start PLANNING and getting things set up BEFORE this October. 🥳

You will MEET new people as you EXPLORE all your interests.

Maybe drop by at Thanksgiving and Christmas to see your OLD co-workers. Maybe drop off some "goodies"....😉

Yes, leaving a job you have been at for a long time is "traumatic" - seek counseling IF needed. NO shame in chatting with a professional as you TRANSISTION.

I would suggest PRETENDING it is already OCTOBER and start doing some of the stuff you mentioned. Then ADD more when October has arrived.

Nicole 🙂

Regular Contributor

Expand on things you like doing a little now and do them a lot when you retire.

Before retiring, I watched soccer occasionally.  Now, I watch it a lot, study its history, and follow soccer news.

I used to cook adequately to eat while working.  Now, I watch a lot of cooking shows, cook a lot of different things (few others would like), and each trip to the grocery store is a lengthy adventure.

Trusted Social Butterfly

1 comment (9/9/23)

Hi @tm9853201 , any UPDATES to share with us? 🤔

So NEXT month is your "planned" retirement month! 👍

Thanks,

Nicole 👴👵 (Retirement Forum)

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

My "retirement" came sooner than I expected when I left my job in May.  I felt like I could no longer handle the pressure and stress, and I was not getting the support I needed from management.  I spent the first two months home just resting and beginning to recover from burnout.  I am now picking up my 9 year old grandson in the afternoons and I am finally using all the elementary education courses I took from 2000 to 2004 but never used to teach school to help him with reading and math.  I am enjoying gardening, genealogy research, and just being free to do the things I like doing.  I am a church pianist, and I have time to practice and learn some more challenging pieces for the prelude and offertory selections.  I am able to spend more time with my almost 86 year old Mom.  I am not sorry I decided to leave my job when I did!  I will say that the people in our local Social Security office were so helpful in getting my Medicare Part B started in just three weeks so I didn't have to buy a month of COBRA coverage at almost $1,000.  Life is good!

Regular Contributor

Expand on things you like doing a little now and do them a lot when you retire.

Before retiring, I watched soccer occasionally.  Now, I watch it a lot, study its history, and follow soccer news.

I used to cook adequately to eat while working.  Now, I watch a lot of cooking shows, cook a lot of different things (few others would like), and each trip to the grocery store is a lengthy adventure.

Anonymous
Not applicable

(3 comments) Hi @tm9853201 , you may want to work part-time doing something fun. Or volunteer. How about hobbies or family you have not seen for awhile. Maybe plan a vacation around stopping in to see them. What are your concerns? Boredom? Loss of human interaction with co-workers? Are you retiring because you want to? Nicole 🙂

Periodic Contributor

I like gardening, genealogy research, crafting, and playing the piano, so I think I will find plenty to do.  I want to retire, but health issues are also a factor.  I have been in my current position since 2005 and I know I'm going to miss my co-workers.  Everyone plans to stay in touch, but it never seems to happen.  

Anonymous
Not applicable

(1 comment) Hi @tm9853201 , sorry to hear about your health issues! 😪

You are very "wise" to start PLANNING and getting things set up BEFORE this October. 🥳

You will MEET new people as you EXPLORE all your interests.

Maybe drop by at Thanksgiving and Christmas to see your OLD co-workers. Maybe drop off some "goodies"....😉

Yes, leaving a job you have been at for a long time is "traumatic" - seek counseling IF needed. NO shame in chatting with a professional as you TRANSISTION.

I would suggest PRETENDING it is already OCTOBER and start doing some of the stuff you mentioned. Then ADD more when October has arrived.

Nicole 🙂

Periodic Contributor

Nicole, Thank you!  

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Block Champ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP