Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Periodic Contributor

Preparing mentally for retirement

I am planning to retire in October, and I initially I was excited, but I'm beginning to feel like I'm losing my identity and purpose. I have worked over 50 years, and I am extremely burned out and physically exhausted. I know it is the right time but I'm feeling a little sad at the same time. Any tips for preparing mentally for this life change?  

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
Anonymous
Not applicable

(3 comments) Hi @tm9853201 , you may want to work part-time doing something fun. Or volunteer. How about hobbies or family you have not seen for awhile. Maybe plan a vacation around stopping in to see them. What are your concerns? Boredom? Loss of human interaction with co-workers? Are you retiring because you want to? Nicole ๐Ÿ™‚

View solution in original post

Anonymous
Not applicable

(1 comment) Hi @tm9853201 , sorry to hear about your health issues! ๐Ÿ˜ช

You are very "wise" to start PLANNING and getting things set up BEFORE this October. ๐Ÿฅณ

You will MEET new people as you EXPLORE all your interests.

Maybe drop by at Thanksgiving and Christmas to see your OLD co-workers. Maybe drop off some "goodies"....๐Ÿ˜‰

Yes, leaving a job you have been at for a long time is "traumatic" - seek counseling IF needed. NO shame in chatting with a professional as you TRANSISTION.

I would suggest PRETENDING it is already OCTOBER and start doing some of the stuff you mentioned. Then ADD more when October has arrived.

Nicole ๐Ÿ™‚

Regular Contributor

Expand on things you like doing a little now and do them a lot when you retire.

Before retiring, I watched soccer occasionally.  Now, I watch it a lot, study its history, and follow soccer news.

I used to cook adequately to eat while working.  Now, I watch a lot of cooking shows, cook a lot of different things (few others would like), and each trip to the grocery store is a lengthy adventure.

Trusted Social Butterfly

1 comment (9/9/23)

Hi @tm9853201 , any UPDATES to share with us? ๐Ÿค”

So NEXT month is your "planned" retirement month! ๐Ÿ‘

Thanks,

Nicole ๐Ÿ‘ด๐Ÿ‘ต (Retirement Forum)

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

My "retirement" came sooner than I expected when I left my job in May.  I felt like I could no longer handle the pressure and stress, and I was not getting the support I needed from management.  I spent the first two months home just resting and beginning to recover from burnout.  I am now picking up my 9 year old grandson in the afternoons and I am finally using all the elementary education courses I took from 2000 to 2004 but never used to teach school to help him with reading and math.  I am enjoying gardening, genealogy research, and just being free to do the things I like doing.  I am a church pianist, and I have time to practice and learn some more challenging pieces for the prelude and offertory selections.  I am able to spend more time with my almost 86 year old Mom.  I am not sorry I decided to leave my job when I did!  I will say that the people in our local Social Security office were so helpful in getting my Medicare Part B started in just three weeks so I didn't have to buy a month of COBRA coverage at almost $1,000.  Life is good!

Regular Contributor

Expand on things you like doing a little now and do them a lot when you retire.

Before retiring, I watched soccer occasionally.  Now, I watch it a lot, study its history, and follow soccer news.

I used to cook adequately to eat while working.  Now, I watch a lot of cooking shows, cook a lot of different things (few others would like), and each trip to the grocery store is a lengthy adventure.

Anonymous
Not applicable

(3 comments) Hi @tm9853201 , you may want to work part-time doing something fun. Or volunteer. How about hobbies or family you have not seen for awhile. Maybe plan a vacation around stopping in to see them. What are your concerns? Boredom? Loss of human interaction with co-workers? Are you retiring because you want to? Nicole ๐Ÿ™‚

Periodic Contributor

I like gardening, genealogy research, crafting, and playing the piano, so I think I will find plenty to do.  I want to retire, but health issues are also a factor.  I have been in my current position since 2005 and I know I'm going to miss my co-workers.  Everyone plans to stay in touch, but it never seems to happen.  

Anonymous
Not applicable

(1 comment) Hi @tm9853201 , sorry to hear about your health issues! ๐Ÿ˜ช

You are very "wise" to start PLANNING and getting things set up BEFORE this October. ๐Ÿฅณ

You will MEET new people as you EXPLORE all your interests.

Maybe drop by at Thanksgiving and Christmas to see your OLD co-workers. Maybe drop off some "goodies"....๐Ÿ˜‰

Yes, leaving a job you have been at for a long time is "traumatic" - seek counseling IF needed. NO shame in chatting with a professional as you TRANSISTION.

I would suggest PRETENDING it is already OCTOBER and start doing some of the stuff you mentioned. Then ADD more when October has arrived.

Nicole ๐Ÿ™‚

Periodic Contributor

Nicole, Thank you!  

cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Space Adventure Pinball and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP