Congress Agrees on a Tax Bill. What Does Proposed Tax Bill Mean for Older Americans? Learn More.

Conversationalist

Re: Possible relocation to Florida - Seeking advice

Message 21 of 27

I am from NYC and don't drive either, so it was a major factor in my relocation to Florida. In Florida, if you do not drive, you will be stranded with no way to get the grocery store; they don't deliver and there is no internet food delivery service. So I strongly suggest that you relocate to a development with good private bus service, as I did, or a community that includes stores and lets you operate a golf cart to get to them. I also suggest that you check the demographics of the community so you will move to a place where you will fit in, be comfortable and make acquaintances. Some of these acquaintances may have cars and if they help take you around, you will be much more comfortable and save money on car service going to the doctor, the lawyer, the accountant etc. I check the demographics by looking at the activities and clubs in the development. I guessed correctly and am surrounded by fellow native middle class NYers. The condos in the development I am in, built between 25-15 years ago, and subject to the up and downs of the Florida real estate market, currently run from around 80K to 180K depending on the number of bedrooms, bathrooms, screened porchs, view and state of repair and decoration.Various clubs sponsor group cruises and include bus transportation to and from the port. There are at least 6 different cruises this winter from Ft. Lauderdale which is the closest port to this development. You can go to the website mentioned in the other post and check out communities, so you have the names of the different communities.They also list a real estate agent for each community, so you can call them and find out if the community has what you want and need. Once you have some idea, get a real estate agent you feel comfortable with and come down to Florida and have the real estate agent show you around, they will do the driving.Some people have avoided making mistakes by renting for a year in a community they are considering to see if it is a good fit for them, a good idea if you have the time & finances to do it. If you move to Florida from the North, buy blackout shades for the bedrooms to keep out the sun so you can take a nap in the afternoon, venetian blinds let in light.Good Luck!  

Report Inappropriate Content
Info Seeker

Message 22 of 27

Hi I am retired and have moved to Florida for the warmer weather. I chose to move to the Lakeland/Winter Have area which is about half way between Orlando and Tampa. It has a good public transportation system. There are lots of retirement communities in Florida which do a lot of community things together one of which is go on cruises. I just did a search on transportation from the area to Miami or Tampa which both you can catch a cruise ship and there seem to be several  services  that go to each as well as about any where in the area.

Gold Conversationalist

Message 23 of 27
There is a dimosaur hambone in the Smithsomian Exhibit in the attic of Yellow Dog Eats in Gotha. Dust off the old top hat and cane.
Info Seeker

Message 24 of 27

I have been planning a Florida move for 3 years, and I will relocate in the next several months. I have decided on CENTURY VILLAGE, a 55+ community north of Miami on the Atlantic coast. They have condos in Deerfield Beach, Pembroke Pines, Boca Raton and West Palms, and the prices vary enough that makes them affordable to almost anyone. Most are gated communites with safety patrols and some are near the beach and some are not. There are amenities like exercise facilities and pools and transportation around Century Village via community buses. I also found an internet site to a grocery delivery service in Deerfield beach. Check their website. Good Luck

JohnMolinari

Staten Island, NY

Recognized Social Butterfly

SUGGESTION: Possible relocation to Florida - Seeking advice

Message 25 of 27

Here's a site I recommend. http://www.55places.com/ You can search by location and read about what each community offers, prices etc. I am also interested in Florida - and plan to visit "The Villages" in July.

eb75626244 wrote:

Hello, all.  I have a few years to go until retirement, but was tossing around the idea of moving to Florida when the time does finally come.  Two major considerations:  I don't drive, and I also love cruising, so I suppose I'm limited to either Miami and Ft. Lauderdale, or areas very nearby.

So can anyone recommend what neighborhoods or areas in particular I should consider?  I would need access to halfway decent public transportation, but am also willing to take taxis when necessary.  (Presently I live in Chicago and realize that public transportation won't be nearly as good or plentiful, but I'd like to be able to get around reasonably well.)  I'm also not wealthy, so the area home (or condo) prices would have to be affordable without being seedy.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

eb75626244 wrote:

Hello, all.  I have a few years to go until retirement, but was tossing around the idea of moving to Florida when the time does finally come.  Two major considerations:  I don't drive, and I also love cruising, so I suppose I'm limited to either Miami and Ft. Lauderdale, or areas very nearby.

So can anyone recommend what neighborhoods or areas in particular I should consider?  I would need access to halfway decent public transportation, but am also willing to take taxis when necessary.  (Presently I live in Chicago and realize that public transportation won't be nearly as good or plentiful, but I'd like to be able to get around reasonably well.)  I'm also not wealthy, so the area home (or condo) prices would have to be affordable without being seedy.

eb75626244 wrote:

Trusted Social Butterfly

Message 26 of 27

Work your PC!!!!  I personally have no interest/knowlege of Florida, but I have looked at all kinds of sites that will give you all the stats you would want (crime, healthcare, educational levels of populace, median home prices) and other sites that show 'walkable communities' (you can 'google' that).

I'm a big proponent of doing reasearch rather than relying much on a few people and their anecdotal stories. If you're not aware, many towns/cities have a website and will talk about things such as public trans. You can also go to sites such as Tripadvisor, which is a travel site, but will provide lots of info on a particular area if it's a tourist destination.

Just think. The world was built by the lowest bidder.
Info Seeker

Possible relocation to Florida - Seeking advice

Message 27 of 27