Congress Agrees on a Tax Bill. What Does Proposed Tax Bill Mean for Older Americans? Learn More.

Recognized Social Butterfly

REPLY DARRELLWENNERSTEN

Message 11 of 27

Dear Darrell,

"The Villages" is voted #1 retirement community in the USA year after year.

It is considered Disneyland for seniors.  I'm planning to visit soon and can't wait! 

I'd love to know more about your life in "The Villages". 

Where did you live before you moved?  Were you a snowbird?

649bdfef73fcc540efe471175a0047a3.jpg

Report Inappropriate Content
Recognized Social Butterfly

REPLY JPOSEY

Message 12 of 27

Dear jposey,

Sounds like you have a good plan.  Best of luck with your move to Florida!

FLORIDA PARADISE

Bronze Conversationalist

Re: Possible relocation to Florida - Seeking advice

Message 13 of 27

Ive never visited Colorado.  I spoke to someone last night who spoke very highly abiout Oregon.  He advised to stay away from Southern California as it is very congested, expensive & smoggy.  Another friend suggested Hawaii.  The only problem there is the cost of shipping all my possessions & truck there.  I just want a place that is not too hot, not too cold & where I can go swimming without the need for a wet suit.  I have been thinking of Europe, but where as Europe is also very expensive.  I would like either Australia or New Zealand, but I have been advised that unless Im 40 & can work or am wealthy to forget about those countries.

Richard I. Pigott
Super Social Butterfly

Message 14 of 27

I'd steer clear of Fl, Bro.  Too much heat and bugs and hurricanes.  Go for Colorado instead.

Bronze Conversationalist

Message 15 of 27

Here on Long Island regardless of age, gender, or area people are nuts, crazy, dangerous & lethel drivers!!!  They go out of their way to mow down cyclists & motorcycles (I once had one & hope to have another).  Given the agressive & hostile  atmosphere here I drive a Land Rover(called Christine) that I will NEVER get rid of!!!  As a matter of fact when & if I can afford to I plan to buy another even though I live alone!

Richard I. Pigott
Info Seeker

Message 16 of 27

i live in central florida. I live in a place that is called the villages.This is a retirement community. This is a ideal place to live if you don't drive a car.all the entertainment, shopping and resturants are accessable by golf carts. The travel agency here book cruises out of all the cruise ports in Florida and they include bus transportation directly to them.

Bronze Conversationalist

Message 17 of 27

I currently live in an HOA.  While it has its benefits the monthly maintainance charge is bothersome particularly when the HOA Board does what the board wants to do without listening to the residents,  This complex has 273 units 14 of which have not paid their monthly maintainance fees & refuse to do so.  If you do not pay the monthly maintainance fee then the HOA states that it has the right to foreclose on your house regardless of whether you have a mortgage or not.  While you may own the house you do not own the land on which it sits.  If you want to make any changes or improvements to the land surrounding your house or on the exterior of the house you have to get aproval from the board as the board insists that all the houses look the same which reminds me of Pete Seeger's song of "Little Boxes On The Hillside."  Recently the board sent letters to those whom the board claims has green algae requiring power washing.  Despite the fact that I personally power washed my house a fortnight ago I received such a letter which caused me to send the board a letter with pictures asking them to show me where the algae is. The firedepartments & rescue squads on LI are staffed by volunteers who insist on using their sirens at all of the night.  When my wife was alive we were awaken at 0230 hours by firetrucks racing down the streets with sirens ablazing, this on the morning of a working day.  They are also summoned by the use of air raid sirens that I remember very well when I was growing up in NYC back during the days of the Cold War.  Society has become far too liberal.  When I was young if I said something wrong I would get it over one end or both.  Nowadays such discipline is viewed as child abuse.  These  days if you try to exact discipline the child will the child welfare authorities.  As for me I just want a place far away from everyone else so that I will not be plaqued with the noises of others.

Richard I. Pigott
Info Seeker +

Message 18 of 27

As a couple who spent 20 years in Florida after retirement, we would highly recommend the Daytona Beach area.  

Climate:  ocean breeze, mild winter.  You will spend summer going from  AC home to AC car to AC restaurant, stores, theatres, or in the pool or ocean no matter where you live.

Hurricanes  - most of them seem to skip on by.  I said MOST.

Atmosphere:  Laid back, casual.  Tons of activities.

Airport - right there.  Great shopping, groceries, home improvement, etc.

more being built as we speak.

Ormond Beach, to the north, and Port Orange to the south, all lovely places.  And a little more upscale.  

Taxis and bus transportation are readily available.

The cities you mention are much more congested.  You don't need to be in a big city to go cruising - just find a local club or travel agent.

Medical Facilities - Some of the best in Florida, and Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville, 1 1/2 hr drive away.  VERY IMPORTANT.

Orlando - an hour's drive away, also bus service, or shuttle.

The best advice we can give is to visit (rent) several areas before you decide to buy.  We were traveling aboard our boat, so we had the luxury of staying in different locations for a year before we realized we loved Daytona, mainly for it's climate and accessibility to everything, and it's casual atmosphere.

We found the west coast of Florida too stifling hot (starting in April) and WAY too congested, especially in the winter when the snowbirds are in town.  Inland Florida also - no breeze.

One last bit of advice:  When you relocate, it is up to you to find people with like interests.  There are many clubs and we found people come from all over the country and other countries and are all anxious to make friends.  55+ communities especially have many activities, and there are many all over Florida.

Things to consider when you are looking at condos and 55+ Communities:

They all have a monthly association fee to maintain the property.  

DO NOT just look at the bottom line!!  Check to see if their reserves are funded!  What this means is, the community with the lowest monthly fee may not be the best choice if they don't fund the reserves and need a new roof in the future, or pool repair, you will get hit with a large assessment, sometimes in the $1000.00's.  So be sure to check it out!

We reluctantly left Daytona because of aging and the necessity to be near our children.  We miss Florida and the many, many friends we made, and would do it again in a heart beat.

Good luck to you wherever you decide to go. but, as another writer said, check it all out.  Every location has a web site.  And visit for a while if you can before making it permanent.

Bronze Conversationalist

Message 19 of 27

If I were to move to Florida I would prefer to live someplace on the ocean far away from everyone else so that I would have peace & quiet.  The only problems that I have with Florida is first that I am used to hills & mountains.  The only hills & mountains in Florida are speed bumps whose only purpose is to wreck your vehicle's suspension,  Secondly, while Florida is wonderful during the winter months  it is atrociously hot during the summer.  Im 61 soon to be 62 & am looking for a place to move to as Long Island, where I live, & the entire New York State has become obscenely expensive!

Richard I. Pigott
Info Seeker

Message 20 of 27
Go to the web site spellings best places. All the info is there for any place you are interested in