Test Your Knowledge About Long-Term Care with AARP’s Long-Term Care Quiz

Trusted Social Butterfly

Re: One month to go and not quite what I expected

Message 11 of 21 (1,740 Views)

"....I should add that I had a very technical analytical IT career and my personally has probably been shaped by 40 years in a large corporate environment....".

I was in IT too, corporate, either as employee or consultant. Not sure how you were 'shaped'. I was happy to be let go after Y2K. Tired of the hours and corporate nonsense.  I ended up becoming a CNA for 5 years until I had my finances in order to retire.

I would think you would be running to get out of that life................

Just think. The world was built by the lowest bidder.
Respected Social Butterfly

Message 12 of 21 (1,738 Views)

BearonaBicycle wrote:
Thanks. I friend who retired 2 years ago gave me advice about a year ago. He said to make no commitments for 6 months after retirement. He said to use the months to explore and do what I want to do with no limitations. He told me another friend gave him that advice and it was the best advice he was ever given. He actually found a part time job doing something he loved to do as a fun pastime while he worked pre-retirement. He also told me to remember that I am in control of my time and never forget that. He cautioned me on over committing. His advice seems sound. I should add that I had a very technical analytical IT career and my personally has probably been shaped by 40 years in a large corporate environment.
Good advice!

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Gold Conversationalist

Message 13 of 21 (1,693 Views)
Thanks. I friend who retired 2 years ago gave me advice about a year ago. He said to make no commitments for 6 months after retirement. He said to use the months to explore and do what I want to do with no limitations. He told me another friend gave him that advice and it was the best advice he was ever given. He actually found a part time job doing something he loved to do as a fun pastime while he worked pre-retirement. He also told me to remember that I am in control of my time and never forget that. He cautioned me on over committing. His advice seems sound. I should add that I had a very technical analytical IT career and my personally has probably been shaped by 40 years in a large corporate environment.
Gold Conversationalist

Message 14 of 21 (1,689 Views)
Thanks! Actually I am planning on carving out a week for bicycle touring every month of 2017. I have already lined up trips through August. In September I will be cycling Hungary for 10 days with a few days on both ends touring Vienna and Budapest. It' my big retirement celebration. I knew I need to do this while I am able. . Due to vacation limitations of my husband, I am going on my own (with an organized tour group). I at first was uncertain of doing this but now am looking forward to the trip. I have been a blogger for 8+ years (for my profession and another topic). I am now seeing that I need to blog about life changes and retirement. Not sure what shape it will take, but I think I need to do that. Blogging and writing is something I immensely enjoy.
Gold Conversationalist

Message 15 of 21 (1,675 Views)
The move is a done deal. My husband and I built a home on his family farm so that he could be near his family and help with the family horse farm. I too have been planning retirement for some time but sometimes things are not what you expect.
Respected Social Butterfly

Message 16 of 21 (1,444 Views)

BearonaBicycle wrote:

I am on the final countdown to retirement on 02/01. The past months have left me very unenthusiastic about retirement. It's many things that are coliding but I find my self questioning if I can be happy retired. New home in a new locale, feeling like an outsider, and missing everything I left behind in my "old" life. Have many people experienced this as the approach retirement and in the early months and years of retirement? 

Thanks for sharing this.  

My first question to  you would be,  How did you prepare for this change? Is your new home a done deal?   Did you consider maybe renting in the new location first?   Some people tolerate change more than others..  I have been planning retirement for a long time and have spent a long time reviewing my planned changes but there are still things I cannot know.  

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Treasured Social Butterfly

[ Edited ]
Message 17 of 21 (1,450 Views)

Well, ya know, change isn't easy for many of us. Some of us thrive on change, but we're apparently the minority. DH & I are still around 8 years (depending on a couple of uncontrollable factors) from actual retirement, however we are already leaning into it with a vengeance. (<- weirdo alert)

You may need to take time alone to clarify your feelings. Can you take a solo journey? A bike ride across America? (Umm, winter ... make that through Florida or California) Find out if you really want the life you and your DH have put into play. Find out if you really want to retire. Perhaps you'll discover that you want change, but not the one the two of you have set in motion.

If you cannot take a trip, maybe carve out daily time to journal, to meditate, to soul search before making your final decision about what's coming.

In short: find out what is at the core of this funk. Make your plan from there.

I wish you every happiness.

The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical. - Julius Erving
Trusted Social Butterfly

[ Edited ]
Message 18 of 21 (1,454 Views)

"....Have many people experienced this as the approach retirement and in the early months and years of retirement?...".

No. DW and I retired early, in our mid 50's. However, we had the interest, and means, to travel quite a bit. We also live on a few acres (but not in the 'country', in Chicago 'burbs), and I have endless gardening projects along with remodeling and maintenance to the house. We also work out 5 days a week.

In short, we had a lot of things to do, plus getting involved in some volunteer activities (DW is heavily involved in volunteering --- me, not so much). We both had work acquaintenances, but we never thought of work as an 'old life'. We also have most of our families in the area, so retiring really was not this huge transition. It was being able to do more of what we liked to do. 

It would appear you'll have to see if you can find yourself a niche in retirement.

Just think. The world was built by the lowest bidder.
Gold Conversationalist

Message 19 of 21 (1,449 Views)

Dog Lover, Thanks for your response. I do find myself in a place I have never been before. I have always been a happy go lucky guy. I know I need get out of this funk. I have had the luxury over the past 4 months of spending 3 days of the work week in my old city as I finish out my time at work. It enabled me to keep my connectins and be active in the comminity. I now am faced with spending the whole week in my new home with no connections. It is hard giving up a good life for the unknown. I know I need to get involved. I have always had the problem of having a full calendar. Thanks again!

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 20 of 21 (1,162 Views)

Hi,BB,my decision to retire is different from yours I was burnt out after working 27yrs part time at a local hosptial as a pharm tech,took early retirement 6 yrs ago. I was already volunteering on my 2 days off from work continue to do so.

May I make a suggestion,you need to have a more postive outlook about retirement and not be so negative about it. You need to find orgs/places of interest ,where  you would like to volunteer,staying busy is the most important thing. I learned during my 1st yr of retirement how to say"No" to people who thought I had the time to help out.

I'm very happy with my new life,no regrets. I hope this helps you Sue

Walkers Take It All In Strides