ACA Open Enrollment Ends Today. Review Your Options Before Being Locked in for 2018. Read More

Highlighted
Treasured Social Butterfly

Re: One month to go and not quite what I expected

Message 1 of 21

@BearonaBicycle So good to read this upbeat report! Super happy for you. Smiley Happy  

How many miles did you ride each day? Have any pics to share? 

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Report Inappropriate Content
Gold Conversationalist

Message 2 of 21
I just returned from my first post-retirement bicycle tour. I was on a bike for 8 days. It was a great experience. I had time to reflect on life and just enjoy myself. I did a little reading in the evenings of my "retirement" books. I think things are going well and I am getting a picture of what I want to do and where I want to be. I can see that retirement needs: 1. Community 2. Purpose and 3. Structure. I have some time to figure those out but in the meantime, I am reflecting on how I will proceed. -- Tom

Message 3 of 21

@BearonaBicycle Pure awesomeness! Enjoy the upcoming ride!

The Joy of Not Working sounds interesting. Thanks for the snippet. I look forward to reading more.

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Gold Conversationalist

Message 4 of 21

Update: Things are shaping up. On Thursday I leave for a 8 day cycling tour. Been prepping for it this past month. I also booked a 14 day European bike ride for early September. 

One of my retirement gifts was the book " The Joy of not Working" by Ernie J Zelinski. It is a very enlightening book that I have benefited. I particularly like his thoughts on the 3 needs to satisfy your leisure time. I see them more as 3 things you need to have a happy life. They are stacked on a pyramid.

1. Community - The base layer that says you need to build a community in your life that feeds and grows you allowing you to contribute to the community.

2. Purpose - The middle layer is about find the purpose in your life that encourages you to grow, focuses you on your life and gives you direction.

3. Structure - The top layer is about replacing the structures of the working world with a structure that uses your community and propose to enjoy leisure time. He talks about structure not necessarily being rigid but being what you need.

I am going to post a thread about this book.

Thanks,

Tom

Message 5 of 21

BearonaBicycle wrote:

I am on the final countdown to retirement on 02/01. The past months have left me very unenthusiastic about retirement. It's many things that are coliding but I find my self questioning if I can be happy retired. New home in a new locale, feeling like an outsider, and missing everything I left behind in my "old" life. Have many people experienced this as the approach retirement and in the early months and years of retirement? 

Any update on how things are going now that you are "there"?

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Trusted Social Butterfly

Message 6 of 21

"....I have come to realize that it is under my control....".

Precisely!  Things do happen to people, beyond their control. But to those people, they are the only ones who can exert their will and take control, even within confines. That is the meaning of that old adage "life happens". 

Just think. The world was built by the lowest bidder.

Message 7 of 21

BearonaBicycle wrote:

I have come to realize that it is under my control. I began listening to a podcast, The God Life Project, and am reading the podcaster's (Jonathon Fields)  book, "How to Live a Good Life". It speaks to me and has really been shifting my attitude. --  Tom

Well yahoo you! Good going! I wish you every joy. 

Gold Conversationalist

Message 8 of 21

I have come to realize that it is under my control. I began listening to a podcast, The God Life Project, and am reading the podcaster's (Jonathon Fields)  book, "How to Live a Good Life". It speaks to me and has really been shifting my attitude. --  Tom

Bronze Conversationalist

Message 9 of 21

Be adventurous and seek out new interests, but try to keep your old interests, friends and acquaintances.  This is much easier for our generation with internet, e-mail, cellphones, skype, facetime, etc. than it was for our parents.  

Message 10 of 21

BearonaBicycle wrote:
Thanks! Actually I am planning on carving out a week for bicycle touring every month of 2017. I have already lined up trips through August. In September I will be cycling Hungary for 10 days with a few days on both ends touring Vienna and Budapest. It' my big retirement celebration. I knew I need to do this while I am able. . Due to vacation limitations of my husband, I am going on my own (with an organized tour group). I at first was uncertain of doing this but now am looking forward to the trip. I have been a blogger for 8+ years (for my profession and another topic). I am now seeing that I need to blog about life changes and retirement. Not sure what shape it will take, but I think I need to do that. Blogging and writing is something I immensely enjoy.

OK now I'm jealous!  This cycling plan sounds like pure adrenalin joy! Gold star on the do it while you can tour. 

And the blogging: perfect. Share what you know and what you are passionate about. May the multitudes find you. Smiley Happy

Well it looks ot me like you have a great retirement worked out. Kudos to you!