AARP Members Enjoy Exclusive Discounts on Travel, Dining and More. Join Today

Info Seeker

Re: My Perfect Retirement! What hobby would you like to try? Model Railroading & Traveling the world

Message 81 of 135 (2,176 Views)
In Response to Re: My Perfect Retirement! What hobby would you like to try? Model Railroading & World Travel
In Response to My Perfect Retirement! What hobby would you like to try? : I love anything to do with Model Railroading. It is such a diversified hoppy. It involves collecting, creativity, electrical, maintenance, repairing, plaster casting and some artwork. You are never finished building something. Scales range from Garden Railroads to the size built into coffee tables. There is something for every one in the household. 
I have learned so much about different cultures by traveling the world. From Europe, Africa, Australia,Isreal,The Carbian, The Mexican Riveria, the Panama Canal and North to Alaska has made me appreciate all the blessings that I have in the USA. Despite the negatives we see on the news everyday, there are a lot of nice people from all different walks of life and different beliefs. You should try it. It is quite an Education and never too late to get it.
Posted by Palousegal

Info Seeker

Re: My Perfect Retirement! What hobby would you like to try?

Message 82 of 135 (2,167 Views)
I love all forms of dancing. Ballroom, salsa, cultural dancing. Stimulates  & fascinates my entire being.
Info Seeker

Message 83 of 135 (2,147 Views)
I would like to paint and try decoupage art.  My problem is feeling that I have to have all my "chores" done before letting myself "play".  And of course the chores never end. How do you get past that?!
Info Seeker

Message 84 of 135 (2,147 Views)
I've always enjoyed all kinds of crafts but had a hard time finding times to participate when I was working. Since I retired I've taken up stained glass and really enjoy it.
Info Seeker

Message 85 of 135 (2,147 Views)
I have done a little painting.  I would love to have time to do that.  And, try writing a book.  Both of these are things I want to do when I have time.  Also, read.  I have dozens of books saved. 
Info Seeker

Message 86 of 135 (3,739 Views)
touring America and Canada on a motorcycle
Info Seeker

Message 87 of 135 (3,739 Views)
I retired in March of 2012 and purchased a used class C motorhome. So far I have traveled up and down the east coast.
In December I found a beautiful campground in Winter Haven,Florida and stayed there until May first.Now I am home for a few months before heading out on my next adventure. It turned out to be everything I expected and more! Some might think the cost of gas is too high,but I spent less on fuel than I did commuting to work on a daily basis.I enjoyed many new experiences and made many new friends,some who I look forward to seeing in Winter Haven this coming November.The best part is that for the first time in my 63 years I did not have to shovel any snow!
Conversationalist

Message 88 of 135 (3,739 Views)
For as long as I can remember, I have always wanted to learn to play the drums. On my birthday just before I retired, my wife surprised me with a drumset  and I have been taking regular lessons. I found a teacher who is nearly my age, so we work well together and enjoy the same music. 

Mainly, it is fun. But at my age I'm becoming more aware of the cognitive benefits of learning a new skill that would be challenging at any age. A lot of people say that drumming is like trying to pat your head and rub your stomach simultaneously, but it's way more difficult to be able to use both hands and feet to play four different rhythms or beats at the same time. And learning to read music adds to challenge and keeps the mind active.
Info Seeker

Message 89 of 135 (3,739 Views)

It would be quite fabulous to think one or more of my knitting projects could be featured in a fashion show in New York.  I understand there are fashion houses who employ freelance knitters to craft such creations. 

Info Seeker

Message 90 of 135 (3,739 Views)
I love to walk...doing 10k walks in every country around the world would be my ultimate hobby.