AARP Members Enjoy Exclusive Discounts on Travel, Dining and More. Join Today

Info Seeker

Re: My Perfect Retirement! What hobby would you like to try?

Message 61 of 135 (2,212 Views)
I love finding treasures by collecting from estate, garage, & thrift stores. I hate to see wonderful things discarded.
Info Seeker

Message 62 of 135 (2,204 Views)
I've always been interested in Art. Painting, Macramé (which I taught @ my home), ceramics (I loved working on the clay spinning wheel) & just anything that involved creating beautiful things from scratch. I started my love of Art in high school & I'm now 64.
Info Seeker

Message 63 of 135 (2,165 Views)
Gardening.  Getting back to my family's "roots" and planting, growing, harvesting the food that
we need (as they did years ago).  I do get to do a little in the city at work and help out at the community
gardens on my block, but not near to the extent I'd like to. 
Info Seeker

Message 64 of 135 (2,165 Views)
Why wait til retirement? At 57, I've been heavily involved in quilting and sewing for the last 10 years. I recently began beefing up my "tools" and have created a sewing "suite" in my room with the latest machine and tool! It's good to have a creative pursuit at any age - don't wait! Get involved in something you've always wanted to do NOW!
Info Seeker

Message 65 of 135 (2,165 Views)
I LOVE to play golf and would like to improve muy game with lessons. Also, I am fascinated by the flexibility and balance that yoga provides & would like to be in classes regularly to stay fit.
Info Seeker

Re: My Perfect Retirement! What hobby I would like to try?

Message 66 of 135 (2,212 Views)
In Response to My Perfect Retirement! What hobby would you like to try?:

Play good golf and stay fit with yoga classes.

Domenica Schiro
Info Seeker +

Message 67 of 135 (2,212 Views)
We have retired and found a new hobby to do together as a couple.  We do choreographed ballroom dance..  It is not competition and we choose our own level we wish to do from 2-6. but they build on one another so you have to work up to the level you want.  We would like to travel more to do this with groups all over the world as it is done Internationally.  We have attended the International Convention held in the US for the last few years and worked on several committees for it.  We had never tried this before retiring, but when we saw it we fell in love with it! Smile
Info Seeker

Message 68 of 135 (2,212 Views)
I am semi retired (retired before I want to). I have started to learn Fly Fishing, which is a sport which is not heavily done in Texas. I have already learned so much about how fish feed, and learned about the bugs in their lives. I probably won't learn how to make the flies, but there are plenty available in retail stores. Texas parks & Wildlife tracks largest fish caught by fly fishing in all state waters. I want to try to get my fly fishing catches in the record books.
Info Seeker

Message 69 of 135 (2,212 Views)
At the moment I'm building a wood working shop for me and a potting shed and greenhouse for my wife. I've always been interested in making things out of wood. My grandad taught me a lot of things about wood working. He and I built an apartment down in my mom and dad's basement when I was in my late teens. And I lived in it for about 5 years. I also built a shed behind my dad's house and a shelter behind the shed for storing the lawn mower, garden tools, the tiller and later on my dad's antique car. When I finish the shops, I'll make bird houses and bird feeders, my wife will grow plants, and we may go and sell them at craft fairs. Sounds like we're going to have a lot of fun in our retirement days.
Gold Conversationalist

Message 70 of 135 (2,212 Views)
The year after I retired I started building a Garden Railroad. I designed the layout, laid the track (no easy task) and I build the buildings that populate it. I joined a Garden Railroading club and have been its Treasurer the past 4 years. We do 4 shows a year at various events the longest of which (thanksgiving to New Years) we collect toys for Toys for Tots and raise money for a local charity. Although I love running trains on my layout these shows are a thrill to watch the wonder in the eyes of the children and children in heart.
It may be an unusual hobby for a woman (I am the only active female in the club) but it fits in with my love of gardening (I have 17 flower gardens and 16 earthbox veggie gardens)....no lawn...just gardens and pathways and woods....and I do all of the landscaping. It is wonderful to have the time to plan and do.