Free Caregiving Webinar: Managing Your Loved One’s Finances - Tuesday at 7p.m. ET  Register Now

Info Seeker

Re: My Perfect Retirement! What hobby would you like to try?

Message 31 of 135 (2,214 Views)
Cooking - once retired I subscribed to a number of cooking magazines and enrolled in Adult Continuing Education courses given by the county I live in.  I have hosted a number of family holiday dinners and planned, prepared and presented all of the meal courses.  I have tried doing foods I never attempted before.  I prepare fine meals for my wife and myself also, on a daily basis.
Retired Moderator

Re: My Perfect Retirement! What hobby would you like to try? community theater

Message 32 of 135 (2,214 Views)
In Response to Re: My Perfect Retirement! What hobby would you like to try? community theater:
In Response to Re: My Perfect Retirement! What hobby would you like to try?  I always worked in a capacity to help people.  That was great!  Now that I am retired and live in Hawaii, I am getting involved with nature and animals.  So, I now give tals about the endangered Humpback Whales and I received training and am proud to be on the endangered Hawaiian monk seal response team, wherein when a seal comes ashore, we do education and crowd controll with the public to keep both the seals and the sunworshipers safe.  It is a wonderful hobby and so happy to do it!
Posted by LibbyP24

LibgyP24, That is wonderful! You get to be outdoors, and help keep the people and the animals safe! Just lovely.
And, all the ideas here sound good. You are definitely Off Your Rockers, in case anyone had doubts about how active  "retirement" can be.
    Our poll results show that you are involved in all kinds of hobbies!
               Overwhlemingly , you all favor Picking your own hobbies!
               Poll Results: 209 Total Votes

What Hobby Would You Like To Try?

37 Votes (17.7%)

Gardening, getting outdoors, and keeping things growing.
56 Votes (26.8%)

Crafts, handmade artwork, designing my own work.
21 Votes (10.0%)

Cooking, making meals, entertaining friends and family, Future Foodie!
10 Votes (4.8%)

Performing, becoming the stage performer.
11 Votes (5.3%)

Collecting Antiques, Buying and selling, traveling to shows.
74 Votes (35.4%)

You Pick! Tell us what you plan to do for a hobby?

Did everyone try the Retirement Sweepstakes , too?
Info Seeker

Re: My Perfect Retirement! What hobby would you like to try? community theater

Message 33 of 135 (2,285 Views)
In Response to Re: My Perfect Retirement! What hobby would you like to try? I always worked in a capacity to help people.  That was great!  Now that I am retired and live in Hawaii, I am getting involved with nature and animals.  So, I now give tals about the endangered Humpback Whales and I received training and am proud to be on the endangered Hawaiian monk seal response team, wherein when a seal comes ashore, we do education and crowd controll with the public to keep both the seals and the sunworshipers safe.  It is a wonderful hobby and so happy to do it!
Frequent Social Butterfly

Message 34 of 135 (2,285 Views)
I think that I would spend more time on crafts. I have actually been thinking more about this. I used to do crewel work and rug hooking, and I have been thinking about picking either of these back up again. I would also like to try crocheting, too.

I already cook and I also play the piano and I used to play in church, so I would like to try my hand at something that I haven't done for awhile, or haven't done yet. Smile
Info Seeker

Message 35 of 135 (2,285 Views)
 I'm trying it!   Just finished a beginner hooping class.   This is adult version of hula hooping with larger diameter hoops and  even a lot of  dance moves.   I'm not too great at it yet, but it is fun and great  and inexpensive exercise for the core, spine, arms, everywhere, and you can do it at your own pace as little or as much as you wish.  

Lots of things on my do list but so glad to do this one.   They even have segmented hoops so you can take it along for easy exercise wherever you are.   And for those who  want more there are light up hoops for night hooping, etc.
Check it out and at least give it a whirl.   Prepare to start grinning...
Retired Moderator

Message 36 of 135 (2,741 Views)
In Response to Re: My Perfect Retirement! What hobby would you like to try?:
Playing music on my keyboard at different events and going to senior living facilities is the greatest retirement hobby ever.  I play music from their era which brings smiles and so much joy to them.  Making others happy through music is so rewarding.  I plan to continue doing this as long as I can lift the keyboard and drive!
Posted by Retiredteacher28

Wow! That is so great!
And, I know what you mean! I have played in bands at the senior centers, and they do love to hear all their favorites again! They would come up and talk to us after the concerts! Good for you1
Conversationalist

Message 37 of 135 (2,741 Views)
I would like to write short stories.
Conversationalist

Message 38 of 135 (2,741 Views)
Conversationalist

Message 39 of 135 (2,741 Views)
Info Seeker

Message 40 of 135 (2,741 Views)
Playing music on my keyboard at different events and going to senior living facilities is the greatest retirement hobby ever.  I play music from their era which brings smiles and so much joy to them.  Making others happy through music is so rewarding.  I plan to continue doing this as long as I can lift the keyboard and drive!