Listen to The Perfect Scam Podcast and Nominate It for a People’s Choice Podcast Award! Find Out More

Retired Moderator

Re: My Perfect Retirement! What hobby would you like to try?

Message 131 of 148
In Response to Re: My Perfect Retirement! What hobby would you like to try?:
I really enjoy crafting and would love to be able to spend some quality time making things to give back to those in need.  Blankets for Project Linus, Caps for Chemo and other organizations are in need of donations and I want to be able to do my part.
Posted by smfsprout

Oh, Thanks for reminding us of Project Linus!  They provide free blankets, lovingly hand made, for children in need. They take them to the hospital for sick children, and even give them to children who have lost a family member! What a wonderful group!
Good for you1
Report Inappropriate Content
Info Seeker

Message 132 of 148
Try performing on stage.  Sounds like a lot of fun.  Gloria
Conversationalist

Message 133 of 148
i would like to try working for habitat for humanity.  or volunteering at my local library.  or both!
Super Social Butterfly

Message 134 of 148
I plan to take up hot air balloning.  Please send my prize to my home address, not the PO box address.  Thanks
Info Seeker

Message 135 of 148
I've been retired for 6 years, but I still haven't found time to do much painting.  I have painted in acrylics for a long time, but am mostly self-taught.  I would like to take at least one class to improve my technique.  There are classes at a college near hre, but I have just never gotten around to it.  I'm going to make that a priority for this winter.
Info Seeker

Message 136 of 148
Since I retired two years ago, I've tried different things.  I took a writing class, a drawing class, and a watercolor class.  I can really lose myself in these activities.  I have been re-writing stories my grandmother made up for me when I was a child, and illustrating them myself    I am making books for my grandchildren age 2 months to 5 years.  

These activities are so much fun, because I am using the right side of my brain.  Also, I feel great about volunteering for a citizenship class, and dropping by our local nursing home with my dog.  I'm done with cooking, though I try to get a meal together on Friday nights for my kids who live in Seattle.  I'm. a librarian, so I've always been a reader, but now I read only what I want. to.  I'm planning a trip to Burma and Vietnam next winter. I audit classes at the University.

Yet, it's easy for me to get depressed and spend my days playing games on my computer.  I still have too much time, considering that when I was working,  10 hours a day were devoted to getting to work and back and  interacting with books and the public all day. 

Some people just need to keep it busy, though others are content to spend their days Court TV.  

Beth Kashner

Info Seeker

Message 137 of 148
I would like to restore the collection of old radios that I've accumulated over the years.  Most of them were in fair condition when acquired but moving multiples times and storing them under less than ideal conditions have taken a toll.  At this point I don't have time to do much more than try to avoid further damage.  When I have more time I want to give each radio a thorough cleaning then make a restore, discard or donate decision.  When this is finished I hope to start with my favorites and "bring them back to life".
Info Seeker

Message 138 of 148
Genealogy  ... my ancestors were spread across Europe, and I'd like to go back as far as possible, and eventually make a trip "back to the old country" to walk where they once walked.
Info Seeker

Re: My Perfect Retirement! What hobby would you like to try? community theater

Message 139 of 148
Photography is my perfect retirement hobby. I love being able to record that perfect scene and to view it afterwards. I like seeing pictures I have taken displayed on my walls.

In Response to Re: My Perfect Retirement! What hobby would you like to try? community theater:
In Response to My Perfect Retirement! What hobby would you like to try? :
Posted by Palousegal
Info Seeker

Message 140 of 148
I always wanted to quilt and never had the time.  So, when I retired I joined a quilt guild in my town.  Have really enjoyed belonging to the guild.  Not only do I get to create beautiful quilts for myself but I get to see what everyone else has created.