Test Your Knowledge About Long-Term Care with AARP’s Long-Term Care Quiz

Info Seeker

Re: My Perfect Retirement! What hobby would you like to try?

Message 91 of 135 (3,809 Views)
I am a storyteller and belong to a local group of wonderful people.  We go around to different venues and tell stories for adults(no x-rated stuff). We have put on many programs and help each other learn to better our craft.   SB
Info Seeker

Message 92 of 135 (3,807 Views)

I’m not by any means trying to be snobby,

But when I’m idle, sitting in the hotel lobby,

Or have nothing to do at times,

I pass my time seeking rhymes –

I write limericks – my all-consuming hobby.

It requires no special equipment or tool,

You need not go for training to a school,

You need only be like other rhymers,

And you may avoid getting Alzheimer’s –

All this appeals to those like me, as a rule.

Info Seeker

Message 93 of 135 (3,783 Views)
In Response to Re: My Perfect Retirement! What hobby would you like to try?:
I also recently joined our local library's home delivery program.  I'm assigned one lady and every few weeks, I pick out books for her and delivery them to her home.  It's awesome and a great way to feel needed and to help a homebound person feel less lonely. Smiley Happy  I even plan to read the same book(s) she does so we can discuss them.  A mini-book club! I would highly suggest seeing if your local library has a similar program.  I bet it does!
Posted by kriskoch

I did not know about this program and will check in with my library.   I also have been working for several years with an online program called In2Books where I am paired with a student to read the smae books and report to each other.  The teachers of the classrooms are in charge and the children pick from a list of books in different categories like history, etc. I love the books the children pick and enjoy sharing with them. SB
Info Seeker

Message 94 of 135 (3,783 Views)
I used to have a large garden but it got to be too much work with holding down a job also. Now that I am retired, I would like to get my garden started again. I would like to add some fruit trees to the yard also. Now that I have two grandchildren that can help and learn how to garden from me, it will be a great time for all.
Info Seeker

Message 95 of 135 (3,783 Views)
I would love to be involved with our community theater!
Posted by Palousegal

I have been a novice cook for a long time. My Mom was excellent. I would like to become an accomplished Chef in my Retirement.
Info Seeker

Message 96 of 135 (3,859 Views)
I would love to work with comfort dogs who go around to hospitals, nursing homes, schools or any place where a stressful event took place.  The dogs are a great source of comfort.  They are also useful for improving reading skills in schools.  The children read to the dogs.  Isn't that a fantastic idea?  SB
Info Seeker

Message 97 of 135 (3,859 Views)
I also recently joined our local library's home delivery program.  I'm assigned one lady and every few weeks, I pick out books for her and delivery them to her home.  It's awesome and a great way to feel needed and to help a homebound person feel less lonely. Smiley Happy  I even plan to read the same book(s) she does so we can discuss them.  A mini-book club!

I would highly suggest seeing if your local library has a similar program.  I bet it does!
Info Seeker

Message 98 of 135 (3,859 Views)
I love cooking, going to the movies, taking yoga classes.  Mostly I find that volunteering is both rewarding and satisfying.  I volunteered for a beer festiival and it was a hoot.  I plan to work with active adults.  I always loved entertaining.  These things can all be done on a shoe string budget.   I love helping people and I am really enjoying my life!!!!!
Posted by beyer2

Volunteering at a beer fest!  AWESOME!  I've got to check that out.  I love to volunteer, too.
Info Seeker

Message 99 of 135 (3,859 Views)

I'd like to re-learn to crochet and make scarves and hats for friends and relatives.  I started making jewelry a few years ago and LOVE it!  And I actually have sold a lot of it and have made money!  

Info Seeker

Message 100 of 135 (3,859 Views)

@ 72 years of age i am looking to restore an  Oliver Farm TractorCool
> problem is = FINDING ONE. 

0 well.... keep lookin, yup.