What's a 'skimmer scam?' Find out on AARP Live. Watch at 10 p.m. ET.

Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Long-term care costs?

Message 11 of 14

Like Gail said,  costs vary greatly around the country.   What value would a study or survey be unless it was done within the area you are looking at  (?)

Why not just call up the various nursing homes in your area and ask to speak to the admissions coordinator.   When you get her/him,   just say outright   "I am looking to get some firm figures on the monthly cost for a private pay patient,  semi-private room,  at skilled nursing level.    I am starting from a median/typical/whatever you pick/  $6,000 base.  How does your facility compare?"

As pointed out,  most nursing homes are going to have beds designated at both levels,  skilled or intermediate care, assigned.  Am assuming you want worst case (most expensive0 scenario,  skilled care.

If they press,  just say you are not concerned with pharmacy charges or other extras like cable TV,  phone,  etc.  You just want base amount.

That's where I would start. 

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 12 of 14

Gail, thanks for the reply.

Yes, I realize that costs vary with location and that there are various types of long-term care.

Do you know of any studies or surveys on the subject?

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 13 of 14
That depends on the area where the services are given. Cost vary drastically by geographical location.

Also I assume that you are speaking just about nursing home care but until you reach that point there are other care types that might have to be considered into the cost as well - home care, personal cater homes, assisted living facilities, etc.
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views
Replies

Long-term care costs?

Message 14 of 14

I'm looking for studies and surveys on long-term care costs for those who do not have long-term care insurance.

I appreciate any references.

I am not looking for marketing information on long-term care insurance.

Thanks.

Kudos
Views
Replies