Take a look at aging around the world in 'A New Age,' a special report by AARP and Magnum Photos.

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: Long Term Care insurance policies cost

Message 21 of 24

Can I ask how old both you and your wife are?

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 22 of 24

Consider yourself very lucky.  Last year UNUM tried to increase our LTC premium by 280%!  This is after a 20% increase in 2008 and a 30% increase in 2011 (we took out the policy in 2005).  Our policy had a 5% compound inflation rider but they offered to keep the premium the same (ie no 280% increase), if we reduced our inflation coverage to 3%.  My wife and I are now paying $1500 a year each.

Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 23 of 24

Is this a relatively standard price?  The policy does have a built-in Cost of Living Adjustment Rider.

Based on the costs I have seen, you're paying a lot less than other policies costs.  It's difficult to say because we would have to know exactly what kind of coverage you have and compare it to other companies. You can find that info online.

"...Why is everyone a victim? Take personal responsibility for your life..."
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views
Replies

Long Term Care insurance policies cost

Message 24 of 24

Both my husband and I have long term care insurance through Prudential. For the past 3 years they have raised the premiums 11.8% per year. We will be paying $1,200/yr for my husband's policy - he is 68 yrs old.

Is this a relatively standard price?  The policy does have a built-in Cost of Living Adjustment Rider.

Kudos
Views
Replies