Is your 'stuff' stressing you out? TV personality Matt Paxton has tips for downsizing and decluttering in our free, two-part webinar! Register now.

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: Is phased retirement right for you?

Message 11 of 18

I’ll probably be criticized for this response but the problem I see with a number of the comments here is that everyone is only thinking about themselves with little regard to their current employer. That said, it is absolutely true that most companies do not have any plan or program in place to transition their older workers into retirement or to offer some kind of phased retirement process. What that means is that it falls upon the employee to propose a phased retirement plan to their employers. One of the most important reasons to justify a phased retirement plan is probably the need for knowledge transfer. A phased retirement proposal to management should highlight all the institutional knowledge someone possesses and some way to transfer that knowledge to younger coworkers. Another option is to take a traditional retirement, but to negotiate a part-time contract to return in a consulting capacity to mentor younger coworkers and to document processes/procedures for others. Just a couple obvious suggestions of many that came to mind when I read this question.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 12 of 18

I enjoyed reading all of the entries of how retirement, or the prospectus of retiring is coming. My life is probably no different than most, but I've been privileged to have done many jobs in my life.

I've been a school teacher, pastor, minister, college professor, church musician, composer. At 70 I'm now call it quits as a teacher for special needs adults. I've loved my career and experiences, but phased retirment may not be exactly what will be my goal.

I will continue to teach college music as an adjunct professor, and be a church musician conducting a choir, playing the organ for heritage services and composing music. So while I end one part of my life I will continue to do what I love to do.

So I'll always be working, it's just a matter of focus. Oh, and I love to paint in oils, so I have many oil painting experiences ahead of me. I never planned for retirement until I got into my 50's and said, "Oops, I may make to retirement I'd better do something more proactive, and plan, which I did." Now I'm encouraging my children to not wait till your 50 but do it now while in your 30's. 

I've been blessed, and I've been so grateful for my life. A faithful, loving wife, seven children, and fifteen grandchildren, truly I'm blessed.

So, for me, retirement is just doing more of what I love to do, teach, write, read, compose, perform and give back to my community through loving abandonded animals, and finding them a home.

Blessings to ALL of you and I truly hope your life finds that place of gratefulness.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 13 of 18

Retirement is a part of life for many.  I have looked forward to retirement since I started working at 18 years old.  I don't want to think of easing into retirement.  It feels like a priviledge, therefore I love to think of the time I can retire.  For me it is now.  After working over 40 years, retirement is deserved and I love it.  If I get bored, there are plenty of places I can volunteer.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 14 of 18

Why bother phasing retirement. Just retire and enjoy your new adventure.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 15 of 18

Would be open to it but my employer does not offer it. Work full time or quit. If i came back after retireing they would stop my pension benefit.

Kudos
Views
Recognized Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 16 of 18

In other countries, is there also phased termination?

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 17 of 18

424 views as of today - and no replies yet. 

I've read about phased retirement, but do not know of anybody who has been offered it. I'm guessing it's not that common here - perhaps for executives and people who have institutional memory so they can train their replacements. 

Kudos
Views
Community Manager
Kudos
Views
Replies

Is phased retirement right for you?

Message 18 of 18

The shift to retirement can feel rather abrupt. One day you’re working; the next, you’re not. What can we learn from phased retirement plans that are popular in other countries?

Have you considered phased retirement?

Kudos
Views
Replies
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Have a question about AARP membership or benefits? Ask it in the AARP Help Membership forum, Benefits & Discounts forum, or General forum.

multiple white question marks with center red question mark