Join the Town Hall on Turning Your Passion into Profit at 7 p.m. ET. Register Now

Info Seeker

Re: If you won 50K what would you do with the prize money?

Message 21 of 1,061

I would put some flooring in my bedroom buy a washer & dryer go visit my mom who is 89 airline tickets are so expensive then put the rest away for retierment even though i've already retired.

Report Inappropriate Content
Conversationalist

Message 22 of 1,061

If I won $50,000 the first thing I would do is cry from utter relief that help has arrived. When our daughter was born 20 years ago with a large facial tumor & Juvenile Arthritis our world was turned upside down. I gave up my career to care for her and we have struggled ever since. She has had 12 operations to date. At 53 years old with 2 mortgages, medical bills, debt & no retirement, we cannot even think about what the future has in store. I couldn't afford proper dental care & need 3 implants or I will lose my teeth. We don't qualify for any assistance because my husband makes too much as an electrician. In 20 years I have never used a babysitter or spent 1 night away from family. We have never been on a real vacation and I have not seen my 83 years young Mom in 8 years since we moved out of state due to our financial situation. I pray every day that things will work out. This would truly be a miracle for our family. We could get out of debt, I could save my smile & just breathe a sigh of relief. It's nice to dream.

Info Seeker

Message 23 of 1,061
I would take a much needed vacation and include all my grown children and their children with a small portion of it and then pay off my highest interest debts so that I can then take the money usually applied to those and put it toward my retirement plans.
Valued Social Butterfly

Message 24 of 1,061

At first glance $50k looks like a lot of money, but if you're retired with almost no income but SS OA ,it can go pretty fast. The real income from safe investments is pretty low so you will have to use savings to live ciomfortably and you find that taxes eat into your regular IRA or 401 savings as you withdraw.

That $50K probably would be added to our savings.

Karl 

Info Seeker

Message 25 of 1,061

I would bank it, continue to fix my jeep, pay bills off, buy myself a new dress. Its been a long time.

Info Seeker

Message 26 of 1,061
Invest it.
Conversationalist

Message 27 of 1,061

Buy a brand new energy efficient sub compact car, pay off the MC and put the rest into retirement savings....being on SSDI is no fun whatsoever!

Info Seeker

Message 28 of 1,061
bring my granddaughters back to Ca. where they belong!
Info Seeker +

Message 29 of 1,061

Help others who have needs.  I have a friend who has a 25 year old daughter that is severely handicapped and her Mom and Dad take care of her 24 hrs. 7 days a weeks.  She is total care and they could use financial help.    

I feel very strongly about cancer research since a 26 year friend died of small cell and squamous lung cancer.  .He never smoked and was a marathon runner.  I'd help Flying Monkey organization in his memory.

I'd send money to Brother Brother's Foundation of Pittsbugh, Pa.   since they send needed medicines, blankets and water to places where it is needed.     ''

I'd help Samartians Purse since they send supplies  in good times and bad times.

I'd give a donation to Wounded Warriors to help our troops.      And a donation to Disabled Veterans for those veterans.   

I am also very concerned about keeping "American Clean and Beautiful" so I would give a donation to a group who helps clean up the enviroment.   

I wouldn't keep any of it for myself as I am already blessed by GOD.  

Conversationalist

Message 30 of 1,061
Payoff the car loan. Buy a new computer. Get an Ipad. Fly my son to visit mom instead of taking such a long drive. Take a weekend trip to Las Vegas or California or both. Buy a bicycle.