Your pain isn't like anyone else's, and science is homing in on better treatments. Read about the newest ways to break pain's grip.

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: I made it to 50.

Message 1 of 7
Thanks for the info, loveabull. Im in Arizona. There is almost no help out here. They even closed the section 8 waiting list, so Ip cant even apply there. I havent heard of this Hud section 236. I will look into it.
Ive been searching every day for anything affordable and theres just not much out here on the rental market. Not looking like I make enough to get a loan to buy anything in Arizona either. Since my husband died things have just gone down hill.
I know Im 51 years young. And yes Im still quite capable. I was looking forward to the second half of life. Thought it would be great and Im sure it will if I can get past this major crisis. Just right now things dont look so good.
Thanks for listening and the info. It does seem to ease the craziness when you can talk to someone. Thank you.
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Super Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 7

welcome to the next chapter of your life! and it just the begining of that chapter, embrace it. its great. dont let anyone tell you you are too old or cant do something its all still there for you to go for. i turned 57 today and ppl at work cant believe how active i am at work and say i look like i could still play shortstop! lol. get the pina colada find the pool and enjoy!

dont take life too serious
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 7

Ah wow, I didn't mean to moan and groan. You're in a worse position jeez. First thing I would tell you is to gather up disability and blindness resources. Also housing resources, if you're over fifty and especially if you're disabled too, some of them agencies can move mighty quick if you're facing homelessness. Hud, there's a Section 236 I believe for over fifty and disabled, Section 8 can have a waiting list in some areas, but the right office can jump people up the list too. 

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 7
Thanks for tbe encouragement. Hope things go ok for you and yours
I think 50 is great, actually Im 51.
Im going blind, so I cant drive. Not driving kibd of made my lifw stop. Trying to figure out how to live this way. But I do get ssi disability. That aint much to live on. Usually I can though. Im a widow, 11 years now. Facing being homeless in 4 months if i cant find something soon.
Things are just so out of balance any more. Dont know where to turn. Over 50 things were not going to be this hard...so I thought. Thats what I get for thinking.
Just having a bad day I guess...Well I know I am.
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 7

"Wastin' away again in Magaritaville, lookin for my lost shaker of salllt"...always loved that tune. But no really I hear you. I'm 53 this year, never thought I might be considering widowhood or being a long time caretaker at best. Having a special needs kid, special enough she doesn't hate me like her sisters but still someone who will be dependent for many years to come. Having always been more athletic than most, yet days when dang you HURT, just getting out of bed.

I admire people who have the "Oh fifty is just the beginning" mentality. Maybe they have their retirement all figured out, nest egg and pension and investments. Lah Dee Dah, I'll be lucky to keep us out of a cardboard box eating cat food. I can't think of a darn good thing about being over fifty except a grandbaby on the way and living long enough to see same sex marriage passed. I guess without those hardships maybe for you finding volunteer work, a non-profit, finding something to give your life meaning is what can help that empty nest feeling.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 7

@rw5050424 wrote:
Looking for the pina colada and the pool.

Well, go out and get the pina colada and the pool.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views
Replies

I made it to 50.

Message 7 of 7
Wow. Made it to my 50s. I know so many of us thought we might not make it to 50. But now that Im here, what now?
Kids are grown, gone and all living full lives over 1000 miles away. House is now quiet. Have l the time I need for what ever I choose to do. But some how things just arent like I expected. Looking for a new me. Looking for a new life. Need a total change.
Looking for the pina colada and the pool.
Tags (3)
Kudos
Views
Replies