Live Your Best Life With Rewards for Good. Start Earning Reward Points Now. Get Started Now!

Treasured Social Butterfly

Re: How to Survive The First Year of Retirement

Message 1 of 2

For those of you who have not yet retired, lwt me ask: What are your biggest fears and obstacles related to retirement?

For those of you who have retired, let me ask: What is completely different than you thought it might be?

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Report Inappropriate Content
Treasured Social Butterfly

How to Survive The First Year of Retirement

Message 2 of 2

RetirementHome.png

So I'm reading up on retirement navigation tips this morning and run across this (Retirement: A Full-Time JobThe Unfettered Pursuit of Happiness) great blog. The author is off doing other things for now, but plans to return as the mood strikes. Meanwhile, she's left us with a heckofa blog roll and some truly educational posts of her own. Like this one: How To Survive The First Year of Retirement

A snippet:

"It seems like it should be easy to adjust to retirement, after all what’s so hard about not working?  For the most part it is pretty easy to acclimate.  My tips for navigating that first year are in my recent U.S. News post, 5 Tips for the First Year of Retirement.

For help handling the issue of guilt in retirement, read Doug’s post at Military Retirement & Financial Independence, Dealing with “retiree guilt.”

And for a really inspirational read about how volunteering can help you find the new you in retirement, read Bob’s post, Pushing Back Against the Box.

Over at Graceful Retirement there’s an interesting discussion about whether consumers’ “new frugality” spurred by the recession will stick.  I think we consumers have a short memory, a sentiment echoed by one commenter on Grace’s post Frugality:  Temporary, Tenuous, and Not Really our Style, with the idea that we have reached “frugality fatigue.”"

Read it all:   http://retiredsyd.typepad.com/retirement_a_fulltime_job/2011/02/how-to-survive-the-first-year-of-ret...

Then there's this video that talks about the reality gap between the retirement fantasy versus what actually happens. Hm ... thoughts?

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Report Inappropriate Content
Announcements
Prepare to Care: A Resource Guide for Families download this free guide developed by AARP to help make caregiving more manageable. It includes information on how to have vital conversations with older family members, organize important documents, assess your loved one's needs and locate important resources.
Top Kudoed Authors