How do you choose a place to retire? I've already made 1 mistake and don't want to make another.

Contributor
Kudos
Views

Re: How do you choose a place to retire? I've already made 1 mistake and don't want to make another.

Message 11 of 51

There are good places much closer for you to retire that have scenic beauty and are affordable. Washington was once senior friendly, but in recent years housing cost rose rapidly. Now the housing is more stable but the state government has raised energy taxes and is pushing hard to raise taxes again. That is becoming senior unfriendly but there are still small communities who welcome seniors and are senior friendly yet close enough to metropolitan facilities to be attractive. If a warmer climate is desired, then look at the Gulf states but selecting should be preceeded by some time there.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Contributor
Kudos
Views

Re: How do you choose a place to retire? I've already made 1 mistake and don't want to make another.

Message 12 of 51
Access to nearby quality medical care
Kudos
Views
Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 13 of 51

It's important to know about state laws, which is why anyone shouldn't even drive through NC, and definitely not choose to live or retire there without knowing about this archaic common law.

Please read from this safe change.org site about my experience after relocating myself and my business to NC, thinking that it would be a good place to retire as well.

http://chn.ge/1fhM4si

I don't think people should have to loose everything they've worked for because a state supports a common law that corporations without character use to the disadvantage of people they harm.

Good luck in your search, Meg Conway, formerly of Asheville NC

Kudos
Views
Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 14 of 51
Has anyone considered to Laramie, Wyoming? Its beautiful country with no state tax. That's all I really know. I prefer cold weather to hot and humid. Thoughts?
Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 15 of 51

gspds,  I hope you have seen my responses about Bluffton, SC.  Bluffton is a small town with a small town attitude.  It has everything you will ever need but the actual town is very small.  The US278 that runs just outside of downtown is the only acces to Hilton Head Island (9 miles) and you can find anything there.  Quite busy dury summer.  There are two Tanger outlet malls near the bridge to HHI.  There are hundres of golf courses, tons of fishing spots, lots of wonderful restaurants, you can get fish and seafood right off the boats, and there is a Thursday market on Calhoun street where you can get fresh from the farm produce.

The weather here is exceptional.  Summer is usually mid to high 80s and no winter freezes (or very few).  Last time it snowed here was 1989.  Very rarely involved in hurricanes.  Bluffton is protected by the curvature of the coast and then there is HHI between us and the ocean.  Much of Bluffton is not in the flood plane - only if you are on the water.

We have found that our insurance for cars and home are about the same as Texas.  Utilities are lower, but that is compared to Texas.  It usually rains enough that you don't have to water your plants/yard.  Beautifully green most of the year.  Lots of large green trees.  We are in what they call the 'low country.'  It's flat.  Western SC is the 'high lands' and has the mountains.  Greenville, SC is a nice spot if you want mountains.

Hope that helps.

Kudos
Views
Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 16 of 51
Than you so much for all of the info. I am glad you found the perfect place for you.
Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 17 of 51

Ooops, Bluffton is about 30 minutes from Savannah.

Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 18 of 51

nyadrn, Bluffton is a small town with a small town attitude.  It actually isn't very small except for the actual town.  It is 9 miles to Hilton Head and many of the larger companies that along 278 consider themselves part of Hilton Head.  278 is the only way to get on the island.

Bluffton is about 30 minutes from Bluffton and has anything you want including a large airport.  We live in a small development with only 70 building plats and is gated.  There is a market every Thursday and you can't imagine something you would want that isn't there.  There is all kinds of fresh seafood available off the boats and all kinds of restaurants.  Believe it or not there is a Mexican restaurant that rivals those in San Antonio.  There are 2 Tanger Outlets but not in the town of Bluffton, more toward the island.  If you golf, there are hundreds of golf courses.  Tons of fishing places and boat docks.

The weather is great.  Right now we have a High that just won't move so we are having highs in the upper 90s but that is about 15 degrees above normal.  I remember last summer when we moved here and it was in the mid to upper 80s I though oh boy I can do this.  Winter was wonderful.  A couple days of cold weather.  No freezing.

I guess what I'm saying is it is perfect for us.

Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 19 of 51

Goldye, Texas is a good option.  No state taxes and your government retirement isn't taxed.  That is made up by sales tax - 8.25%.  County taxes fund the county, local and scools.  Fairly high but I don't remember what it was.  Our $233K house with an acre of land was about $1,700 per year in taxes.  We lived just north of San Antonio.  It gets very hot and dry.  House prices are low per sq ft.

Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 20 of 51

All good questions to consider.  I would only add...  What are income taxes where you are and where you are going?  Do they have homestead and "senior" deferments?  Are there HOA fees?  Is there a Del Webb community close by?  What is your Medicare costs going to be and are you going to pay a penalty for income?  It isn't expensive to talk to a financial person to get a good view of what you income and expenses are going to be.

We did not consider family in our decision.  We DID consider climate and expenses.  Neither of us wanted a cold environment but we also didn't want a hot climate, moving from Texas.  We chose coastal South Carolina.  My Sister lives in Indianapolis, my Son lives in Alaska, my wife's Brothers live in Nothern Vermot and Southern New Hampshire.  So family was not an option.

Kudos
Views