Science is honing in on better ways to treat chronic pain. Read about it in this AARP series.

Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: How do you choose a place to retire? I've already made 1 mistake and don't want to make another.

Message 21 of 51

@gspds wrote:
We are doing the same research and getting frustrated. We have looked at Texas, wonderful people, but not very pretty, sorry. We live in Idaho and are used to mountains, lakes etc. we like green, but we are hoping to find a place with mild climate, no 110 degree summers and no below zero winters, especially, no snow. We recently went to the Florida panhandle and thought it was very pretty but as we are more seriously researching it, we find that the cost of homeowners insurance, auto insurance and other cost of living factors would be high. But, I can't seem to get a good sense of what 'high' means. Maybe it would still be affordable to us? If anyone can provide more details or websites I can visit, it would be appreciated.

South Carolina is on our 'interest list' as well, and in fact Bluffton came up on some research. I would appreciate your insight on that as well. It's refreshing to hear that someone in our situation found "their ideal location".

Check out  and just google...  there is tons of info out there.  What do you want to know about Bluffton? I have been there more than once.. it is great  .imho but it depends on what your factors are.

http://www.55places.com

http://www.delwebb.com

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: How do you choose a place to retire? I've already made 1 mistake and don't want to make another.

Message 22 of 51
Just curious, what small Oregon coastal town are you in? I grew up in Eureka, Ca and am considering the Oregon coast. I haven't lived by the coast for a long time but I can not get it out of my system.
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 23 of 51
We are doing the same research and getting frustrated. We have looked at Texas, wonderful people, but not very pretty, sorry. We live in Idaho and are used to mountains, lakes etc. we like green, but we are hoping to find a place with mild climate, no 110 degree summers and no below zero winters, especially, no snow. We recently went to the Florida panhandle and thought it was very pretty but as we are more seriously researching it, we find that the cost of homeowners insurance, auto insurance and other cost of living factors would be high. But, I can't seem to get a good sense of what 'high' means. Maybe it would still be affordable to us? If anyone can provide more details or websites I can visit, it would be appreciated.

South Carolina is on our 'interest list' as well, and in fact Bluffton came up on some research. I would appreciate your insight on that as well. It's refreshing to hear that someone in our situation found "their ideal location".
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: REPLY - SRBATTY

Message 24 of 51

My home in FL is in the Naples area, in a country-club golf course community.

Kudos
Views
Recognized Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

REPLY CONNOR207

Message 25 of 51

Dear Connor207,

I hope you can recover most of your losses.  Have you taken steps to get your money back?

thinking-of-you09.gif

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

REPLY CALICO12

Message 26 of 51

Calico12,

Where do you live now? 

FLORIDA.jpg

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

REPLY - SRBATTY

Message 27 of 51

srbatty,

Where do you stay in Florida?  A retirement community?  What city?

585706q53cm0zj7x.gif

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 28 of 51

Number one for me is proximity to family.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 29 of 51

@faye1 wrote:
No-I didn't move to Florida. I moved to Austin, Texas. All my research pointed to Austin being the right place-good job market, good weather, lots to do. It is a nice place-if you are under 40. I can't see being here forever and am starting to think about my next fpdestination.

I'm native to central Texas, and lived in the city for about 30 years, so I can understand why this is probably not the place for you. There used to be a common expression: Welcome to Austin Taxes and road construction!

Because of the job market (mostly geared to younger tech savvy types or medical fields) many people move here everyday. Home prices have escalated, good rental property is expensive, and property taxes are high; state sales tax is 8.5% though no state income tax. Traffic is horrendous most of the day, not just at rush hour.

If cost of living is not a problem, then yes, entertainment abounds, many great parks, the lakes, great restaurants, museums, and lots of places to shop. Austin and the area have many good medical facilities.

All that said, we plan to move when my husband retires, but have not decided on a destination. On my list are - reasonable cost of living (taxes, utilities), convenient medical facilities, smaller town without traffic hassles, warm/moderate climate, and a good parish church. 

Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 30 of 51

Each individual is different.  I first researched tax free and property tax requirements for a given state. But, climate was more important.  Small towns were my second interest, then location of the towns.  If you want to work, realize small towns (2000 population for us) have few jobs available.  The quiet non-human made noises was important.  The ability to actually see the stars at night.  The sounds of nature.  Availability of medical and dental services.  Once you gave a location in mind, go there and look it over.  Visit it at different times of the year.  Look at prices of homes if you intend to buy.  If married, be sure both of you do this together so that both are happy at where you end up.  All of these and more we looked at.  We have lived in our Oregon coast very small town for six years and love it.  We've traveled and lived all over the world.  We've lived from California to Virginia to Washington state to Florida and many places in between.  Sure some places didn't turn out as we planned.  But, we kept trying.  We found it.  Good Luck!

Kudos
Views