Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: How do you choose a place to retire? I've already made 1 mistake and don't want to make another.

Message 31 of 51

"......2Papa wrote:  Where family is.....".

Yeah. I don't want to live in Midwest and travel pretty extensively so I can 'get out of town'. But DW and I won't move because family is here.  Doesn't apply to everyone, of course. There are some DelWebb,

over-50 complexes, built in the Midwest as the developers discovered other seniors had the same idea. DelWebb traditionally built in the sunbelt areas, but realized that many seniors, even though they don't like the midwestern winters, will stay because families are around.

"...Why is everyone a victim? Take personal responsibility for your life..."
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: How do you choose a place to retire? I've already made 1 mistake and don't want to make another.

Message 32 of 51

Hi   We chose Crossville TN  for many reasons.   The climate has seasons so not as boring.  The area is mountains so it cools down at night and warms up during mid day.  Many trees and parks are free.  We pay for state parks in WI.  I wanted to be in an over 50 community, not subdivision.  So Crossville has two and the yearly fee is 230.  yearly.   No state tax and the prop tax for 165000 on a small lake is 650.   That is with 3 lots.   Compared to 40000. we now pay in WI..  Lake Tansi has nice warm indoor pool and outdoor pool.  3 lakes and we can rent a pier on the big lake   [Our lake is electric motor.]  Does get hot in summer and can be humid.  Spring starts in March and winters are mild.  Does have ice storms and can have high winds. Nowhere is perfect but TN is centered for travel.  Has theatres for plays and such.  Prime rib at the cafe is 12.00.  Gas is .20 cheaper.  Food is the same but purchase tax is 8%.  We bought our home and will move in 3 years.  We go down 4 times a year or so.  I love the  huge waterfalls, Gatlinburg is 2 hours away....  Hope this gets you thinking of what to look for.  robin

Kudos
Views
Recognized Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 33 of 51
Where family is.
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 34 of 51

I have absolutely no idea. Since a "financial planner" took all our money, which included my retirement, I guess I don't have a plan. Good planning, huh?

Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 35 of 51

My wife and I were living in Bulverde, Texas.  We had been living in the San Antonio area for about 20 years while our careers were winding down.  We were retired when in 2013, August, I think, we had 45 days of 100+ degree weather, hardly any rain all year, we were in stage 3 water restrictions most of the year.  We had been receiving letters from the water company threatening to turn off our water if we didn't cut back on water every month.  We had a pool, hot tub, and thousands of dollars of landscaping.  We were in a pickle.  The pool would evaporate about 6 inches each week and if we didn't top it off, the pump wouldn't work right.  We decided we had enough. 

We pulled out a map of the US and started looking for a new place to move.  We knew that most of our friends that had retired were living or had plans to move to the East coast so we focused on that.  We didn't want to go to far North because I'm a Texan and I don't like snow.  So, never having been to the state, we picked South Carolina.  We contacted a realtor, made flight reservations and came to South Carolina, near Hilton Head.  We looked on Hilton Head but they just had too many restrictions.  Our realtor said there was a small town just across the bridge that was a great place to live.  We went to Bluffton and loved it.  Shopped around and found a small gated housing development, picked out a lot, and picked out a building plan.  The next day we picked out all the colors, flooring windows, countertops, you know all the stuff.  We moved in June 2, 2014.

We absolutely love Bluffton, SC.  It is so much like the small town we lived in in Texas.  Very friendly people, small town atmosphere but everything you need is available.  Savannah is like 30 minutes away.  The beaches of Hilton Head are 9 miles away.  The May River is across the street and we have our own lagoon next door complete with an alagator.  And the best thing... it rains here.  Everything stays green.  The temperatures are so much nicer.  We are here to stay.

Kudos
Views
Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 36 of 51

For us & most people on a state or Federal pension, the issue is either we stay in our home state or move to a state that is income tax free.  I've researched & there are a few states that don't collect income taxes, however, the property taxes or sales taxes or both make up for it.  Further states like New Hampshire or Alaska is off the list just for the long dreaded winters alone.  Florida is a definite but researched medical care & it's not the best. 

We currently live near NYC so even without income taxes taken out, we still deal with incredibly high property taxes & sales taxes + high cost of living.  With a reduced income, it's tough. 

Bottom line - I want to move but husband wants to stay.  Both our kids are nearby but that's a moot point.  Husband wants the conveniences of NYC & doesn't drive much meaning anywhere else will be difficult for him.

My attitude is I want to spend money, travel, etc. & with NYC's high cost of living, it's limited.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 37 of 51

i had to retire early because of medical reasons and i never really gave much thought to moving away from my children and grandchildren but because of my costs of retirement i have been seriously thinking about it. I have heard many citizens of the US are moving to other countries in retirement because of the cost here.

Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 38 of 51

To me, there are some factors that are a ""absolute must"" when deciding where you want to live after you retire:

a. Confirm what your monthly income will be. Since all future financial planning should be based on that amount of money, rather than any money salted away. This would be at a minimum your monthly retirement check, plus Social Security at 70 if you can wait.

b. Assess the positives of where you are living when you retire. Items such as -- (a) Is the yearly weather something you and family enjoy? (b) Do you own or are buying your current home? (c) What are to prices for homes in any area you are considering, whether it is in state or in another state? (d) What would the maximum estmated cost of moving be? (e) What are any/all medical issues within your immediate family that must be considered?  (f) What would be the traveling factors to visit family not residing in your current area and your proposed new retirement living area?(g) If a decision is to move to another location either in state or to another State, what can I expect as costs to seel my home and how much money would be available to me after sale.

There are probably other questions that must be answered, but the above should enable anyone to get a decent handle on the issues that are involved when preparing to retire.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 39 of 51

As already stated, know what you want and do your homework.

Also, if you can afford it, a lot of the downsides of a location can be overcome by having two homes in retirement.  I live in NY for most of the year, but spend most of the winter in FL.  This works out pretty well for me, but in addition to the extra cost, there is the effort required to travel back and forth.

Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 40 of 51
I have lived in Florida for nearly 40-years. But I would prefer not to retire here. As much as people talk about retiring here, you have to consider the overcrowded cities, heat & humidity, six months of hurricane season, every insect known to mankind, etc. I am researching the western US as well as a few other southern states.Will all depend upon cost of living, medical and, to a lesser degree, weather.
Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Open Enrollment: Oct 15-Dec 7, 2019 Find resources to help you decide on the best healthcare insurance plans for you during Open Enrollment season

Top Authors