Highlighted
Contributor
Kudos
Views

Re: How do you choose a place to retire? I've already made 1 mistake and don't want to make another.

Message 41 of 51

Climate isn't that important to me....

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Contributor
Kudos
Views

Re: How do you choose a place to retire? I've already made 1 mistake and don't want to make another.

Message 42 of 51

I want to make sure the area has a good, large medical facility that accepts my insurance and Medicare.

I want to be near the child, niece or friend etc. that will assist me if I should need a ride to get a procedure done or pick up meds or just be there during a procedure so I'm not alone.  Support is important to me if I need it.

I want a lower traffic area but close to the expressways to get to all my friends and family when I want to go.

I want to be reasonably close to the grandchildren so I can be a part of their lives... seeing there games, attending graduations etc.

I want shopping reasonably close to where I live... My uncle had to go an hour away for groceries.

I want an area that has an older population.... some cities are known as great places for young families to live... I want one that is for the older population.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 43 of 51

@faye1 wrote:
No-I didn't move to Florida. I moved to Austin, Texas. All my research pointed to Austin being the right place-good job market, good weather, lots to do. It is a nice place-if you are under 40. I can't see being here forever and am starting to think about my next fpdestination.

DW and I have good friends in Austin, so we're familiar with area. If you feel you made a mistake, you really need to try to spend some time in an area you're interested in. You did 'research', but did you really take a hard look at the town or just stats? You do realize (?) that crime rates in Austin are very high compared to U.S. stats. High ratio of sex offenders too. Lots to do? Depends on your definition. It's too dang hot for me to do much. It gets into the 90's in March, something you have already found out. Anyway, we all have our own ideas of a good place to live. Again, try to spend some time before moving. Take some weeks --- go to local library and find out everything you can about the area. Travel around the area. Walk neighborhoods. Take a look at what you think constitutes 'lots to do'. Think of all 4 seasons.  Social clubs of interest to you? Local papers give you a lot of info on social activities.

"...Why is everyone a victim? Take personal responsibility for your life..."
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Regular Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Florida ??????

Message 44 of 51

It's warm and a cheap place .....

Simplegal,  not sure what you mean by a "cheap" place. 

Maybe for people who rent,  but for anyone who wishes to own their own home the H.O. insurance is sky high (if you can get it at all,  many companies have pulled out and you have to go to the state-run "risk pool". 

Even if you don't live in one of the hurricane-prone areas the enormous payouts the companies make every time a big one comes thru have to spread out among ALL the policy-holders in the state,  regardless of where they live.    We had a lively thread going on bogleheads on that very topic  not long ago.

Also,  have you checked rates for Medigap plans in the Sunshine State?  Some of the highest in the U.S.,  almost as bad as NY. 

And , even with no state income tax,  the combo of state and local sales taxes can make it as high as 7.5% in some Florida cities.   One reason Kiplinger's does not put Florida on its list of Top 10 tax-friendly states for retirees. 

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Regular Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 45 of 51

"All my research pointed to Austin being the right place-good job market, good weather, lots to do. ....."

Okay,  I'll bite,  faye.  

If you are looking for a retirement destination why would the local "job market" enter into consideration?   

Did you mean instead the general health of the local economy?  The job market would be a component of that piece,  but I would look for population growth as a better barometer of the economy.   If an area is flat,  or losing population,  that would be an indicator there are no jobs,  and people are moving away to find work. 

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Florida

Message 46 of 51

It's warm and a cheap place to retire.  You get more bang for your buck!

BENCH.jpg

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 47 of 51
No-I didn't move to Florida. I moved to Austin, Texas. All my research pointed to Austin being the right place-good job market, good weather, lots to do. It is a nice place-if you are under 40. I can't see being here forever and am starting to think about my next fpdestination.
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 48 of 51

"...Maybe the OP's mistake was she moved to Florida.  (?)   Then discovered Florida living is unbearable in the summer.....".
   Yeah. Did leave that off. But, I'm stuck here in the midwest as all the relations live here, so all of the factors are moot.
   I never did get that Florida thing. I'm not even particularly interested in visiting Florida. I probably will never get down there. But, we all have our own interests.  

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Regular Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 49 of 51

Pretty good list there,  ret- trav,  but you left out 1 Big One:    Climate. 

That should certainly be high up in the Top Ten List.  

Maybe the OP's mistake was she moved to Florida.  (?)   Then discovered Florida living is unbearable in the summer.   

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 50 of 51

Too broad a question. You would have to state what factors are of most interest to you (health care availability, universities nearby,  types of services/shopping you want, public trans, senior center, activities you want to participate in, crime rates, cost of living, how large/small a town you want, what you can afford, do you need to live by relatives, what kind of demographics do you want (age, education, religious affiliation, income), etc.).

What was the 'mistake'?  

Asking these questions answers yours. You have to determine what is important to you, then you can start researching areas.

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Introducing jen43, one of our featured ACEs! Check out their profile and fill yours out, today!

Meet an ACE

Top Authors