Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

๐Ÿ‘ด๐Ÿ‘ต How Are YOU Making Ends Meet In RETIREMENT?

Anonymous
Not applicable

๐Ÿ‘ด๐Ÿ‘ต How Are YOU Making Ends Meet In RETIREMENT?

โ–ถ๏ธTo reply, click on reply button at bottom of this post. Enter your text. Click reply button again.โ—€๏ธ

***Read comments and/or comment***

Any TIPS? ๐Ÿค”

WE want to hear from YOU! ๐Ÿ™ƒ

Thanks, Nicole ๐Ÿ‘ด๐Ÿ‘ต (Retirement Forum)

Contributor

After retirement, I decided to finish a book of mine that I have been working on. The book's title is Ringo and Benny B. It is a book about my two retired working dogs. If you want to check it out, you can access my website at, RingoandBennyB.com. Keep doing what you love and don't stop.  

Contributor

Making phone calls to cut cable costs, and phone bills. Making sure I clip those digital store coupons, taking advantage of my health insurance, example they pay 50.00 just for doing a health assessment, as well as offering discounts on gyms and other services and  planning vacations in advance to get the best deals. Lastly explaining to your family that they have to do their part, like stop blasting the air conditioning, use less paper towels, run the washer and dryer less.

Anonymous
Not applicable

***Read comments and/or comment***

Any TIPS? ๐Ÿค”

WE want to hear from YOU! ๐Ÿ™ƒ

Thanks, Nicole ๐Ÿ‘ด๐Ÿ‘ต (Retirement Forum)

Gold Conversationalist

I went to the next-larger size belt. Now both ends meet!

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

(1) Live BELOW my means.

(2) SAVE.

(3) THINK before heading out to my car = hmmm, is this a "mandatory" trip?

(4) MAINTAIN my 2006 Hyundai Elantra.

(5) Finally CUT out "junk food" ๐Ÿฅณ๐Ÿ’ƒ

Nicole ๐Ÿ™ƒ

Honored Social Butterfly

@Anonymous wrote

OUR Social Security RETIREMENT benefit payments were increased BUT so did our EXPENSES.

====================================================

Thatโ€™s the reason for the increase - the Cost of Living Adjustment - in 2022, it was 5.9% increase and for 2023 it is 8.7% increase.  

Past getting the COLA , If this isnโ€™t enough, the rest is up to the beneficiary to see where cost can be cut or reduced.

I am sorry that many seniors have saved little to accompany their SS Retirement.  SS was never intended to be all of of oneโ€™s Retirement funds.

It's Always Something . . . . Roseanna Roseannadanna
Anonymous
Not applicable

(3 comments) @GailL1 , a lot of us broke even or were short. But that is life! ๐Ÿ˜‰ Life is NOT "predictable" and not all of us were able to plan the "perfect" retirement. As always, WE appreciate you stopping by, Nicole ๐Ÿ™‚

โžก๏ธ@GailL1 wrote:

Thatโ€™s the reason for the increase - the Cost of Living Adjustment - in 2022, it was 5.9% increase and for 2023 it is 8.7% increase.  

Past getting the COLA , If this isnโ€™t enough, the rest is up to the beneficiary to see where cost can be cut or reduced.

I am sorry that many seniors have saved little to accompany their SS Retirement.  SS was never intended to be all of of oneโ€™s Retirement funds.โฌ…๏ธ

Honored Social Butterfly

Problem is, there are way too many of them that fit into this group.  Life may not always be predictable cause we may have to live through a pandemic or inflation or recession - but Life is predictable when it comes to someday one may not be able to work - WHAT THEN?

Doesnโ€™t that warrant some kind of plan?

Anonymous
Not applicable

(1 comment) @GailL1 , I am one of them and have "adjusted" my plans accordingly. It is "possible" to live on ONLY Retirement Social Security IF you have to and SAVE. I am doing it. Nicole ๐Ÿ™‚

โžก๏ธ@GailL1 wrote:

Problem is, there are way too many of them that fit into this group.  Life may not always be predictable cause we may have to live through a pandemic or inflation or recession - but Life is predictable when it comes to someday one may not be able to work - WHAT THEN?

Doesnโ€™t that warrant some kind of plan?โฌ…๏ธ 

Honored Social Butterfly

That is good that you have and can adjust to living off just what you get from SS Retirement.  

What many seniors do when in this situation, they donโ€™t adjust.

Imagine if you were living in a high cost of living area, like NYC, San Fran, and other places  - it would be difficult to do what you are doing or perhaps even impossible, donโ€™t ya think.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Sometimes we get to plan our retirement and things tend to fall "in place" as planned.

But sometimes we are pushed into an EARLY retirement and we have to do the best we can...

Honored Social Butterfly

@Anonymous wrote:

Sometimes we get to plan our retirement and things tend to fall "in place" as planned.

But sometimes we are pushed into an EARLY retirement and we have to do the best we can...

Planning for your retirement should begin very early in life. Putting something away, even in your twenties, is advisable. But people don't do that. They procrastinate until the time frame for saving narrows and thus, what is saved narrows. Planning early enough softens the effect of unexpected life issues like the pandemic, or having to retire early, or other life issues.

Trusted Social Butterfly

The cost of living is taking its toll on those on limited incomes..Cutting here and there is becoming harder as necessities have a price to pay..You can look into reduction of your electricity and heating cost in state programs if you qualify. Changes to a cheaper cost in switching cell phone/cable usage carriers ..Name brand groceries to a generic one if possible..a different way of living for sure...You have to shop around for the best price in just about everything...Cut subscriptions down..keep a journal as to where your money is going for that fast food or coffee..When you go to the discount stores are you impulse buying or looking for bargains that you may or may not need..You have to be a savy shopper now a days..Use left overs instead of throwing away good food that can be repurpose into something tasty...Get those cookbooks or go online to see how to use leftovers..You have to compare time spent is it worthwhile...Use your senior discounts to save cents that add up to dollars..Ask the doctor if a generic will do instead of the high price scripts..And the price of stamps is going up again..is it worth while to pay by auto payments...Some feel comfortable doing this and may even get a discount by doing this..Nothing is easy so do your homework to save..And don't forget to pay yourself first before paying the rest out to bills..Save some for a rainy day..

Regular Contributor

I keep finding so many things to watch online for free, especially old shows and world sports.  Just don't pay to watch new stuff and American sports.

Anonymous
Not applicable

WE "appreciate" you stopping by @dantheman63  !!!! โ€Œ๐Ÿ’ƒโ€Œ๐Ÿฅณ, Nicole ๐Ÿ™ƒ

โ–ถ๏ธ@dantheman63 wrote:

I keep finding so many things to watch online for free, especially old shows and world sports.  Just don't pay to watch new stuff and American sports.โ—€๏ธ

cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipedeยฎ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP