Eye scans and gene editing are among the new frontiers in Alzheimer’s research! Learn more in AARP’s report on medical breakthroughs.

Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Haves and Have-Nots

Message 21 of 106

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 22 of 106

Here's one, Ed

So a few years ago, I had to hire some personal caregivers.  At 1st I had a very hard time finding competent and reliable ones.  But one day, I happened upon a real jewel and she knew a couple of others.

After working with them for a while, I was really impressed with everything about them -

They had a plan and needed some help in establishing what they wanted to do with their skills and talents.  I helped them set up an LLC, a business plan and now I just consult with them on things business - taxes, rules & regs, insurance, etc.

Now they are (10) - each a partner - I still work with them in their caregiving capacity and they do earn more than the normal personal caregiver pay but that's OK because I know when they are there, I have no worries.  A GREAT group of ladies that have not done too bad for themselves.  I don't know how many clients they have today - not too many but each is a long standing client.

They just keep a look out for anybody else they want to bring into their LLC fold - they are very selective but can't blame them for wanting to keep their standards high.

Of course, if they had just gone to work for another personal care agency or for a nursing home or assisted living place, they would not be making or accomplishing  what they are today but neither would they have all the responsibilities for each other either. 

Yes, some people only need direction because the drive and their learning ability is there.  Others have problems understanding how to get from point A to point B and don't care to learn or do the leg work.

So I think we all make a decision on our priorities - me, I just wanted to be something different than where I came from in education and status - work smarter rather than harder, physically speaking.  I just found people around me to help me and which I tried to emulate.  Hasn't always been easy but I guess for the most part it worked out just fine - I learned how to figure things out.

So I was a Have-Not; today, I am a Have.

* * * * It's Always Something . . . Roseanne Roseannadanna
Kudos
Views
Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 23 of 106

Yes, some underprivileged kid WILL listen to a grumpy old 65 year old tell them how to succeed.
Many of us are called Ol School and many young kids are longing for the knowledge and experience we hold..
And what about the ol schools who don't have what you do and also need help? Still gonna do "nothing"?!
The fact that those who have do "nothing" to help those who do not, is at the root of the issue! Where does having, exempt those who have, from helping those who don't?
I'm 66 myself, and I'm not done. Your stereotype does not cover the range of seniors at all. I have young people of a range of ages, from teenagers to 40+ year olds, asking for advice. They help make this senior proud to have been and done.

Old Worker & OG.

Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 24 of 106

Question is and has been, what are you doing presently and what are you going to do to directly help someone who does not have?

I answered it. Nothing. You think some underprivileged kid is going to listen to a grumpy, 65 year old man tell them what they need to do in life to succeed? C'mon. You think a 15-year old is going to listen

to me tell them that they need to be a nerd, as myself? That they need to have nothing to do with sports and instead, play an instrument and study at least 3 hours a night with the rest of the free time involved in musical practice and performance prep. And any free time left, read. 

Yeah,  I was one of those stereotype nerds in high school that was left out of everything from the 'cool kids' and hung around with other music nerds and kids who actually appreciated education.

That's why I keep asking:  What do you think us old, retired people, are going to have to do to solve these issues? We're done as far as younger people are concerned. We have our homes, savings, SS, along with our old music. We hardly know how to use technology, we're slow, and mostly talk about our aches and pains all day.  What do we know about how hard their lives are? 

"...Why is everyone a victim? Take personal responsibility for your life..."
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 25 of 106

Question still stands.
If you have no idea of how to help any have-not into being a have, there is a learning process. One has to start! A great start would be to respectfully and lovingly, share your methodology with those who don't have.

Working with groups that do direct, base level assistance, is another way to help.
Question is and has been, what are you doing presently, and what are you going to do, to directly help someone who does not have?

Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 26 of 106

@EDChou wrote:
What are you doing, what do you do, directly, to help any have-not(s) get up that ladder? To help alleviate the growing economic and social gap?
Please be very specific.

I'm not. I early-retired at 55 after 3 careers and 8 years of college, half of it done working full time and going to night school. DW did the same. I early retired because after spending years in the library studying for night  classes while working full time, I spent an afternoon, or evening a week, studying personal finance and economics (had some econ in school, but further got into it as I used that as a basis for making investment decisions). I learned personal finance and investing by going to the library with a notebook. learning investment terms, learning legal terms. It took years. I started with
Money mag and Kiplinger until I was able to read a Wall Street Journal with understanding.

My parents came off farms, and dad's parents lost theirs in depression, and both went on to get educated. You have to be motivated, willing to work, live frugally, read everything, turn off the TV. 

We worked on our own education and careers.  We handled our own finances and learned to save and invest. We were always active in an environmental group. We have not missed more than a handful of election voting. 

What 'specifically' should we have been doing to eliminate social and economic disparities?  We vote for tax increases, even though we don't have kids, for education. 

I have no idea how to make a have-not to a have unless they push themselves in school as we did, no TV, no sports (we've never watched a single game in any organized sport in our lives). Just study and learn what's going on in the world so you can make informed decisions.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 27 of 106
What are you doing, what do you do, directly, to help any have-not(s) get up that ladder? To help alleviate the growing economic and social gap?
Please be very specific.
Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 28 of 106

"...This subject has come up many times in my 40+ work years, on many jobs and projects, and the consensus has always been that the study of "English" as we had it was of no value in the "real" working world - that of labor, low paying jobs, among people who do not own or run their own businesses, among the have-nots.....".

Oh man. You've pretty much explained, right here, why there are so many have-nots. 40 years ago, only 20% (+ or -) of workforce were considered white collar. Now, it's about 65%. There were no PC's. We didn't have a global economy. 

Have you not read the countless articles talking about how young adults need to have social, thinking, math, reading, writing, science skills to compete in a global economy?  Yeah, that includes the study of English. If you cannot read with good comprehension, and write with skill, you won't even be able to fill out a job application well,  or write a resume.  40 years ago you could show up at a factory and get a job. We boomers could get jobs in spite of our lack of skills because there was so much demand.

That ended. You need to be able to walk, talk, write, dress, comprehend and most important, have the skills to learn new skills. If not, you remain in the have nots working at Mickey D's, and not as a manager.  

Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 29 of 106

Please explain why you think business should not be taught from early school forward.

I did. Maybe you have a different idea of what the study of 'business' is. I already stated that to be in business, you need to be grounded in math, science, reading (including lit). You can't do accounting, a must for understanding any business, including ma and pa small business, without a solid math background and reading comprehension. I stated that you need to be able to read a contract. You need to be able to develop and write a business proposal --- takes language skills.

Is there something else about 'business' you're specifically thinking of?  

You keep harping on the 'have nots'. They are have nots because they lack fundamentals in education,  or do you disagree? You're not going to go up any ladder without good reading and comprehension skills, ability to do basic spreadsheet type math (needed to form a household budget, for example). High school is needed to get those basics which are needed for anyone to even enter the work world. And, of course, you now need PC literacy which does not mean running an app or playing an online game. 

I don't know what you are disagreeing with me about. 

I guess the question is: What is your idea of a business class that should be taught --- what would be in such a class for high school? I've had business law, accountancy, business math, economics all requiring math and language skills acquired in high school.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 30 of 106
You only speak of business people. What about the rest of the world? Most people who work are not business people. In addition, who in the work world reads Forbes? It is not aimed at the working public but specifically at business.
The 4 years I am referring to is high school.
This subject has come up many times in my 40+ work years, on many jobs and projects, and the consensus has always been that the study of "English" as we had it was of no value in the "real" working world - that of labor, low paying jobs, among people who do not own or run their own businesses, among the have-nots.
Please explain why you see the need for this INSTEAD of more emphasis on math, economics, science, especially in the schools with the worst records.
Please explain why you think business should not be taught from early school forward.
Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Roundtable Discussion:
Ask questions and get advice from fellow entrepreneurs
Now through Nov. 22