Ask Your Questions About Open Enrollment At AARP’s Webinar ‘Medicare: Your Questions Answered’ at 7 p.m. ET. Register Here

Bronze Conversationalist

Re: Has "Retired" Become a 4-Letter Word?

Message 21 of 40 (2,353 Views)

I believe that people who try to dissuade you from retirement are ones who are afraid to retire. I think that they are deathly scared of death or boredom. There is no such thing as boredom if you have life in you. Life is full of excitement and there for the taking , no matter what thrills you. Take what you want from it , you've earned it. 

Info Seeker

Message 22 of 40 (2,319 Views)

yes, I love being retired too. Come and go as I please...........

Treasured Social Butterfly

Message 23 of 40 (2,762 Views)

@cs894 - I started this discussion, after reading endless articles encouraging people to continue working (past 65), or to "have a 2nd act" doing something else full-time. I understand continuing to work if you love what you do, or can't afford to retire, but I got the feeling that unlike the 90s, where everyone's goal was to be able to retire early & enjoy life, all of these articles were trying to brainwash us that continuing to work was the only way to stay physically & mentally active .. which I think is garbage!

I just bought tickets to 3 shows for the spring, to see with a friend. I love being retired!

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Super Social Butterfly

Message 24 of 40 (2,869 Views)

I love retirement!

Info Seeker

Message 25 of 40 (2,757 Views)

My husband and I retired one year ago and haven't looked back. Fortunately my husband's company had a pension plan, and we'd always saved. We left the cold weather and enjoy not hearing the term "chill factor."    Why would retirement be a four letter word?

Treasured Social Butterfly

Message 26 of 40 (3,016 Views)

@lsaloga - It always bothers me when I read material here or elsewhere for those 50+, and they recommend becoming an entrepreneur as a 2nd career .. without adequately highlighting all the additional responsibilities & liabilities that entails, compared to being a salaried employee! They present the idea of having your own business, as simply an expansion of "having a hobby", and it's not that at all.

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Info Seeker

Message 27 of 40 (3,123 Views)

Out of high school, instead of going to college, I went to work for a large national corporation. I started at the bottom entry level job and over the years worked myself up to management positions - a stressful position I wasn't really able to handle. After my company merged with another it became even more stressful and I left my position to become self-employed. Big Mistake- I found I was a better employee than entrepreneur. I struggled along, twice divorced, for several years until I had a heart attack and heart surgery, which left me unable to work. After exhausting my savings I had to retire early.  Now I'm drawing two small pensions, just getting by and generally unhappy with life and regretting my past decisions.

Conversationalist

Message 28 of 40 (3,287 Views)

It does appear that "Retire" is a much deferred activity these days.

I retired at age 49 after a 28 year career with one company. The decision was made due to early retirement offers from my company and increasing health issues due to service in Vietnam with Agent Orange exposure.

Have never looked back! A wonderful life enjoying being at home with our son from age 9 to college graduation, along with a move to a small rural community.

At this point I will have to admit that small family inheritances have made the journey more possible and comfortable.

Info Seeker

Message 29 of 40 (7,043 Views)

I believe it has Smiley Sad   Hi, I've worked for 34 years in one company and was very fortunate to have a retirement package from them.  I've worked since I was 14 during the summer and got hired after graduating high school.  I'm a "young" retiree (I retired at 52yrs old 3 yrs ago) and when I tell people i'm retired I get the - How can you be retired so young?- look.  I have everything I need and between my husband and I we paid off a huge portion of our debt.  We save for vacations and "wants" and for emergencies we have pulled from our investments.  They ask what do I do all day and if I'm bored.  As long as we are healthy and content I don't think I'll need to go back to work.  I like volunteering when the mood strikes or visiting our downtown and surrounding cities like a tourist.  There is plenty to do even if it's to ride the couch on a snowy day, Netflix and Chill with my hubby ;D  There's no shame in it and I will not feel guilty b/c God blessed me and my husband.  Good day fellow retirees and enjoy!

Regular Social Butterfly

Message 30 of 40 (7,376 Views)
By age 27 - I'd had 18 different jobs. Getting married and deciding to stop traveling and settle down - I took a position in finance with a national company. It served me well for 10 years til the Company and I had a huge difference of opinion over an issue that impacted me directly. After accepting the fact that as an employee - I would not have the last word - I made plans for a huge change - and within 3 months - I was self employed - and stayed that way til I retired. There is nothing wrong with being a part of corporate America - as long as one accepts that he may not always "have the last word".