AARP Members Enjoy Exclusive Discounts on Travel, Dining and More. Join Today

Info Seeker

Re: Has "Retired" Become a 4-Letter Word?

Message 11 of 40

Dont even know how anyone can afford to retire. With the soaring costs of housing and daily needs the average social security check does not cover the expenses. And to top it off it seems the trend among alot of businesses is to let their older workers go and replace them with younger individuals that will work for a lesser wage. Therefore not being able to access pension benefits. And God forbid if you have emergency life circumstances that require one to either have to access a retirement account early to pay for bills, or if your lucky enough to own a home to have to refinance that sell it etc and then to try and pay bills during retirement with no income except social security. It's no wonder senior citizens often have to rely on either family members to assist or have to access federal government assistance programs such as food stamps to just get by. Which is a shame after all the hard work they have done throughout their lives.

Report Inappropriate Content
Treasured Social Butterfly

Message 12 of 40

@lp2140 - Good luck! I've always loved real estate, and thought I'd like a part-time clerical support position, in a large real estate office when I retired. But I've spent a lot of time house hunting for myself & with a couple friends, and realized how inconsiderate, indecisive & invasive some clients could be. I decided I didn't want to be a realtor, but loved to do the MLS legwork finding the perfect property to help them. But after everything became computerized, even large real estate offices minimized clerical support positions, because the realtors could do everything themselves.

Registered on Online Community since 2007!

Message 13 of 40

@johnitag - That's EXACTLY what I was talking about, that even after we've retired, AARP encourages us to be "Human Doings" instead of "Human Beings". Do people 50+ really need a quiz to figure out if they have a passion for something in life, and that they need to have more goals & accomplishments .. instead of just enjoying life?

Info Seeker

Message 14 of 40

Hello All,

I am entering into your Zone!  I have decided to retire early (62 years young). I am looking forward to some relaxation, spending quality time with my mother (85 years young), grand children (8 of them) and family, friends and most of all travel without an end date.  I'm very excited and I'm counting down my last month at work.

Celeste

Info Seeker

Message 15 of 40

I'm retired now going on 5 years... I retired medically due to an injury. I thought that by the time I reached RETIREMENT AGE, that would be it. I was wrong on the that...  I actually feel better than I thought however, I became depressed the first week, because I was so used to getting up early for work... Now, I'm into my church I feel better. Retired, it's great, I've met new friends, and got out more ... It's great

Bronze Conversationalist

Message 16 of 40

Since being retired, I am busier than ever.  I joined the town committees and commissions, church groups, yoga, vacations and traveling with friends,  and  started being a Hospice volunteer.  Plus I quilt, knit, and paint. Not to mention, I like to play bridge, cribbage, and pitch.  Time flies for me.  I also have dogs that make me walk them every day, anywhere from 2 to 3 miles.  In the winter, the dogs walk and I snowshoe with them in the woods.  I love being retired!  I am now doing all the things that I could not do or have time for when I worked.

Info Seeker

Message 17 of 40

I agree totally.  I am doing real estate and its a lot for a person who worked a salaried job for over 40 years.  I am going to stick with it for a while but not sure this is for me. 

Info Seeker

Message 18 of 40
You're never too old to reinvent yourself! Have you checked out AARP's https://lifereimagined.aarp.org/ ? There are oodles of websites (other than AARP) for people like us who find themselves at a crossroads. FWIW, I have already made a personal solemn request for help just for you. God bless you and Happy New Year!
Info Seeker

Message 19 of 40
I never got married until my 40's. After college I immediately went to work and worked until 30 years and retired. During my years of work, I traveled on my own. Now being retired and married, that's one thing I have in common doing with my husband. There may be days in between you can feel what retirement is, but the feel of travel is part of my life.

Message 20 of 40

A friend of mine was afraid she'd get bored, so she kept working. Then they cut back & she decided to retire. She's always busy now, not bored at all.