Get Your Fraud & Scam Questions Answered in the AARP Online Community! Find Out More!

Trusted Social Butterfly

Re: Has anyone done a long distance move with a pod?

Message 21 of 22

I have not done this personally, but had a relative use this option. She was happy with the much less-expensive cost, but it was a lot of work. If you're willing to put the time and effort into packing, it's a great option. She did hire, on an hourly basis, some people to load the larger stuff into the pods and to unload at the other end. 

The key to all this is good packing. Long distance moves means a whole lot of shaking and banging going down the road.  All her issues were with not protecting the furniture well enough as corners got banged up and such. 

Her advice, after doing the move, was to spend more money, and time, on making sure heavy bubble wrap (or other protective materials), is applied to all surfaces on furniture. Everyone balks at the cost of this stuff, but that will save your possessions.  You'll save thousands on a long-distance move, so spend the hundreds extra on materials to protect what you're moving.

(I'd sure like to move to VA if DW would let me --- just got back from annual DC trip Smiley Very Happy)

Just think. The world was built by the lowest bidder.
Report Inappropriate Content
Highlighted
Treasured Social Butterfly

Has anyone done a long distance move with a pod?

Message 22 of 22

I noticed a couple of posts on movers and I think this may be a good option for us. We are planning to selll our VA home and move to our NM retirement home in the next 2 years.  We plan to shed a lot of our Ikea furniture before the move and are furnishing the retirment house with new. Still, we have household items, some furniture we will keep, and a baby grand to send out there as part of "the big move". 

I wondered if anyone had an experience to share. 

Report Inappropriate Content