Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Has Transition to Retirement Been Hard for You?

Bronze Conversationalist

Has Transition to Retirement Been Hard for You?

It's commonly said that the transition to retirement can be hard on people -- especially those who have had active careers. We can lose our sense of identity, feel a profound lack of purpose, suffer from reduced mental stimulation and socializing that the work day provides.

I retired at the end of 2019, just in time for the pandemic to close down almost everything I had planned to do with my first year in retirement. You just have to laugh when the Universe slaps you with that kind of irony.

The hardest part of the transition for me has been letting go of the role that was the core of my professional way of being in the world -- being a helpful resource. But as the first year unfolded, it turned out to be a blessing to not feel it was still my job to provide suggestions and connect people. 

It may have taken me longer than some, but I'm finally learning to BE instead of DO all the time. 

What about other recent retirees?  What has been hard and easy for you?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @DeahWA unlike you I DO NOT miss work or my co-workers/lol. Retired last July (2020) and totally over covid. With Athena (my doggie friend being rehomed) I no longer volunteer to do the planters. My challenge TODAY is to RETHINK on what brings me JOY 🙂 Great post!!!

View solution in original post

Trusted Contributor

I feel very mixed.  I retired last June and it felt like a forced retirement.   I had a job for 15 years and loved it.   But then, the pandemic hit in early '20.   It was nice at first because I was able to go to work because I was considered an "essential" worker.   So it was kind of nice having about 95% of the on site workers working from home.  It was quiet and less pressure.   I could not work from home due to my position.  I missed a lot of the people who were not there anymore.

But then, in '21, things changed.  It got very slow so the job wasn't as nice as it was.  And then in the last two months, the maintenance man retired and the company made me replace him.   I did not want that position and I had no skills in it whatsoever!   I pleaded my case with my company, but no dice.   They said that they could help me out if there were things I couldn't do.   So I took them up on it and they never delivered.   A lot of things needed to repair and I couldn't do it and the company got no one to help.  And then the big-time site managers were hollering at me about it, but I told them what happened. 

Also I was having some feuds with the workers and I'm not the contentious type.  I was pushed beyond my limits.  At that point, I hated to go to work, and it was heartbreaking after many years of looking forward to it.   I think it was office politics and they just worked hard at trying to get me out.   I had quit because it was unbearable and I didn't get unemployment.  I would have hung on for at least a couple more years if it were not for the BS that happened.

And now, it's nice having the time off.  Some times it's boring but other times I feel like I'm more busy than when I was working.   I like shopping now with hardly anyone at the stores on the weekdays.  The thing is miss the very most is the money because I'm taking in 40% less money per month than what I used to have.  Also I have to move to a more affordable place and it's daunting to figure it out.             

Regular Contributor

Retired firefighter. I don’t miss the station but retiree’s life is pretty dull during Covid. 

Honored Social Butterfly

I worked in the public sector for 32 years. I couldn't wait to be away from people. I could almost be a hermit after those 32 years. Retirement is wonderful.

Bronze Conversationalist

I really miss the job for the exercise I got walking 11 miles a day, I really miss the job for the friends I made with my coworkers, I really miss the sense of accomplishment I got from a hard day's work, but most of all I really miss my customers, who were like family to me after spending 25 of my years on the same route (in my old neighborhood to boot). What I don't miss is the alarm clock, the days with pouring rain, the mandatory overtime, and the unappreciative supervisors, many who never did the job and probably couldn't. Were it not for the toxic environment they created I would probably have worked a year or two more. But I do like retirement for the freedom-and being able to watch the pouring rain out my window with a cup of coffee in my hand!

Bronze Conversationalist

@postman29 I would think missing co-worker friends would be really hard when transitioning into retirement. I worked as a solopreneur with a home office for the last 20 years, so no coworkers to miss, but I did miss people terribly when I worked for the Air Force and people got PCS'ed, and when I did. I've often referred to my time in civil service as a kind of Camelot. I'm sure not everyone felt that way, and I didn't have the same feeling at the 2nd base I left, but it was hard to leave the first one. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@postman29 you are so right about family. Our mailman is AWESOME and thank him when I see him!!! He is part of our apartment complex family in his cute tiny truck 🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @DeahWA unlike you I DO NOT miss work or my co-workers/lol. Retired last July (2020) and totally over covid. With Athena (my doggie friend being rehomed) I no longer volunteer to do the planters. My challenge TODAY is to RETHINK on what brings me JOY 🙂 Great post!!!

Bronze Conversationalist

Rethinking what brings joy is such an important thing to do @Anonymous because it really can change at different points in life. Or at least it has for me.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I agree @DeahWA Lol, I was willing to put up with the rude front desk as long as Athena was there.

Bronze Conversationalist

{{ HUGS }} @Anonymous Joy awaits. I have a feeling whatever joy is for you, it is just around the corner. 😉

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks @DeahWA ((lots of hugs))

Bronze Conversationalist

Welcome back! 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@postman29 🙂 🙂 🙂

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP