AARP Members Enjoy Exclusive Discounts on Travel, Dining and More. Join Today

Conversationalist

Re: Ex husband is planning to move to Phillipines

Message 1 of 8

Well, he is an retired airline worker and that was only for 15 years. Before that, he was a trucker - 18 wheeler and worked for trucking companies. That was most of his work life. Anyway, some of his airline coworkers are Filipinos and he is friends with some of them on FB. Some of his friends on FB are friends of friends there and they are young women. They have enoouraged him to come to the Phillipines so they can take care of him. They text back and forth every day and sometimes make video calls. I believe that they got into his head and that he has not thought this through. He also hates America and is determined to leave it. I don't think he would do this if his mother was still alive because he is all she had left. He would not want to hurt her but he was willing to hurt me. I always said that now that his mother is gone, there is nothing here to keep him. 

Report Inappropriate Content
Bronze Conversationalist

Message 2 of 8

I guess I'm not sure why you are posting this here or what you want to hear.  Do you have a question?  Are you just venting?  

Sure, the cost of living is way less in the Phillipines and he can get his social security and any pension sent over there to him.  But in addition to the issues mentioned above, the reality is very politically unstable and shows no sign of changing in the foreseeable future.  Not a great prospect for an Ametican ex pat.

Treasured Social Butterfly

Message 3 of 8

tracyb858126 wrote:

I should clean him out because of his possessions that he values highly. He has a bunch of books that that could be used to open a Christian bookstore or sell to a struggling seminary student. He has several shelves of theological books that I have no use for. I want to sell them. I have always said that he better hope that I die before he does so that his precious books stays safe. I should also mention that he hates America because what they did to soldiers coming home from Viet Nam. He is an VN veteran but managed to avoid going there. I don't think he would do this if his mother was still alive. 

If he is moving out of the country is he taking all that stuff with him?  If not, why not dispose of it as you would like?

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Conversationalist

Message 4 of 8

I should clean him out because of his possessions that he values highly. He has a bunch of books that that could be used to open a Christian bookstore or sell to a struggling seminary student. He has several shelves of theological books that I have no use for. I want to sell them. I have always said that he better hope that I die before he does so that his precious books stays safe. I should also mention that he hates America because what they did to soldiers coming home from Viet Nam. He is an VN veteran but managed to avoid going there. I don't think he would do this if his mother was still alive. 

Frequent Social Butterfly

Message 5 of 8

tracyb858126 wrote:

In a month, my ex husband is leaving for the Phillipines. We were married for 44 years but we divorced in June. It is a divorce that I did not want but I did it anyway. We are in our mid 60s and have no children. He still lives at home because we are low income and he can't afford to get his own place. Anyway, he has been communicating with some women in the Phillipines. He denies it but I believe that they are encouraging him to move there. He is an retired airline employee but I don't know if he can fly there for free. He has the crazy idea that living in the Phillipines will be wonderful. I should mention that he is in poor health - COPD with 30% lung function and Type II Diabetes. Those women are constantly texting or video calling him. He will do whatever he wants so I will just let him go over there. He might be happier over there then he is with me. For all I know, one of those women will give him a place to stay with her.

Pipe dreams are often had by the Walter Mittys of the world. It sounds like you would be better of without him, just make sure he doesn't clean you out before he leaves. As bad as it may hurt, you need to look out for yourself. Kick him out, it might open his eyes, and it will let you get on with the rest of your life. Best of luck and may you be blessed with happiness for now own. Above all do what makes you happy not what us arm chair quarter backs advise, because we are not walking in your shoes. LOL! 

Conversationalist

Message 6 of 8

for retirees on low income, he is making a smart move--English is widely spoken and his cost of living will be 70% less. More retirees should consider moving abroad.

Yes, there are some negatives (or more accurately, tradeoffs)

--no medicare coverage
--the occasional kidnapping of Americans by revolutionaries (your ex is likely safe)

--hurricanes

Recognized Social Butterfly

Message 7 of 8

I'm sorry.   Smiley Sad    I am sure that is hard to contemplate even though you are divorced.  44 years is a very long time.  

Something like this would push me into crisis management mode.  If you are divorced, I assume you have a property settlement?  Is the house in your name now? 

In any event, I'd first be planning for my own single future financially.   Then socially.   Hang in there.  

Conversationalist

Ex husband is planning to move to Phillipines

Message 8 of 8

In a month, my ex husband is leaving for the Phillipines. We were married for 44 years but we divorced in June. It is a divorce that I did not want but I did it anyway. We are in our mid 60s and have no children. He still lives at home because we are low income and he can't afford to get his own place. Anyway, he has been communicating with some women in the Phillipines. He denies it but I believe that they are encouraging him to move there. He is an retired airline employee but I don't know if he can fly there for free. He has the crazy idea that living in the Phillipines will be wonderful. I should mention that he is in poor health - COPD with 30% lung function and Type II Diabetes. Those women are constantly texting or video calling him. He will do whatever he wants so I will just let him go over there. He might be happier over there then he is with me. For all I know, one of those women will give him a place to stay with her.