Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Does Retirement Wisdom Exist? ๐Ÿ‘ด๐Ÿ‘ต

Anonymous
Not applicable

Does Retirement Wisdom Exist? ๐Ÿ‘ด๐Ÿ‘ต

• This discussion was created on Saturday - May 15, 2021 8:30pm EST.
  • Do you think you have gotten wiser since retiring?
  • If yes, tell us why.
  • Lol, if no, hmmm, they say with age we know better. ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿคฃ
  • But some of us never grow up! ๐Ÿ™„
  • Stop by to read the comments and/or leave a comment.
  • We luv hearing from you!
Anonymous
Not applicable

Stop by to comment and/or leave a comment.
0 Kudos
Social Butterfly

@Anonymous  I would say there is more wisdom with age, due to the large number of experiences we have accumulated as we have grown older, not necessarily because we have retired.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Rhymesometimes wrote:

@Anonymous  I would say there is more wisdom with age, due to the large number of experiences we have accumulated as we have grown older, not necessarily because we have retired.

๐Ÿ’ฅThank you @Rhymesometimes for stopping by to join our discussion ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ’ฅ

0 Kudos
Contributor

Estoy totalmente de acuerdo.

Bronze Conversationalist

Great question @Anonymous 

I MIGHT have gotten wiser, maybe. I'm quicker to get rid of things that I haven't used in a year or longer, and faster at throwing out food when it's still edible but I know I won't eat it.

I'm better at being non-reactive over various perceived stupidities as I get older altho social injustices can still get me going. I'm better at ignoring slights, not even framing others' behaviors that way very much any more (altho various hostile actions do still provoke flaming rhetoric -- the wisdom piece being that I don't blast back as often). I 'm increasingly better at trying to maintain the inner peace of staying in a "not worth my energy" mindset.

Anonymous
Not applicable

May 16, 2021 2:45pm EST

I am too cheap to throw out food before it expires @DeahWA ๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿ˜‚ Good for you girl!!!

0 Kudos
Bronze Conversationalist

I used to be afflicted with the "I'm sure I'll want this later" syndrome -- food, clothes, potentially useful things I never used, hotel toiletries, cords for things I'd forgotten what they went to (she said in mangled English), books I couldn't remember buying much less wanting or reading, craft supplies that dried up before they got opened, etc. 

While I might still have a package of frozen veggies with stage 4 frostbite good now only for using on a sprained ankle or something of the sort, I had to get rid of all the detritus of life to make room for the living. LOL

Anonymous
Not applicable

May 17, 2021

Lol @DeahWA so you use to be a hoarder ๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿ˜‚ Me too. Dollar Tree is my weakness. I see things I got to have because everything is just $1. Working on making a LIST and STICKING to it. Hmmm, I need to attend Shoppers Anonymous ๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿ˜‚

Kudos
Views
0 Kudos
Bronze Conversationalist

Oh @Anonymous it wasn't quite that bad. I wouldn't have qualified for that hoarders tv show. LOL ๐Ÿ˜† 

Bronze Conversationalist

My retirement wisdom was being smart enough 8 years ago to get out of the toxic work environment the first chance I got! The same day that I turned 55, after over 30 years of service, I left for happier days. Wisest decision that I ever made. Now my wisdom is in being the best husband to my wife and the best dad and grampy that I can be for my kids and grandkids with the free time that I have. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Good for you @postman29 !!!! Always luv it when you stop by to join our retirement discussions ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

Saturday - May 15, 2021 8:40pm

• I say YES for me.
  • Since RETIRING last year July (2020) - see my list of wisdom below/lol.

1. I have learn't to luv myself enough to set PERSONAL BOUNDARIES.
  2. Not run after folks to be in my life.
  3. Letting go of folks that need to exit my life.
  4. Welcoming NEW seasons into my life while saying good-bye to my PAST.
  5. Now totally PASSIONATE about my life and the things I am destined for ๐Ÿ˜‰
Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Asteroidsยฎ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP