Test Your Knowledge About Long-Term Care with AARP’s Long-Term Care Quiz

Treasured Social Butterfly

Re: Do Not Retire to Louisiana

Message 1 of 4 (833 Views)

@ts5149   Agreed: culinary skills and memories are something one can easily take with them. 

We have a chef friend who opened a restaurant in CA after he'd returned from years of cooking in NO.  His skill is legendary. We popped in to visit him last year and the restaurant is bustling as ever --17 years after he opened it. Can't beat that Cajun cooking. Smiley Happy

I must say, though, that you do not paint an inviting picture of New Orleans! Is that rather like me bringing up bears and mountain lions, big snowfalls and forest fires to my California friends when they start talking about moving close to us in the Rockies? Smiley Happy

The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical. - Julius Erving
Conversationalist

Message 2 of 4 (845 Views)
I do love my home state but the changes made during the Jindal debacle has us in bad dodo. The things you listed I carry wherever I go but for health, economy, clean air and water this is not the place to be. Taxes can be low but in Baton Rouge sales tax is almost 11%. Over 40 years ago the Feds told Baton Rouge to repair its sewer system it was dumping raw sewerage on the streets. Happen to have been in North Baton Rouge, mostly poor and black. The city fought and delayed keep crap off the streets. Finally a mayor came in that began repairing but the problem had gotten worse and the cost had skyrocketed. For water, sewerage, waste pick up my bill has gone from $25 to $80 a month. Auto insurance is about 25% higher and don't get started on home coverage. Without flood my home insurance is $1400 a year. I have a $1000 deductible but for wind and hail it is 1.5% of the value of your home. I have USAA insurance but the average deductible on wind damage is 3% and up. I have a $150,000 home. Want to fish. Can there are restrictions on the amount of fish you can eat because of the 55000 gallons of toxic polution La dumps in its rivers, bayous, lakes, swamps, etc each day. Doesn't count the filth belched into the air and it is really uncontrolled because no one to inspect and greed. How much mercury can you breath or eat? Arsnic anyone? And that is the better stuff! If you retire here and things go bad there is little to no support for you. What support is available has been swamped with people who need help. I am on a list of 1000 to get help with home repairs. Even the non government agencies are swamped with cries for help. Now golfing is good here and it comes with free toxic air and water! The things I love about Louisiana are still here but harder and harder to find. Bourbon Street used to have strips joints and jazz bars. I haven't heard Dixieland Jazz in NOLA except for the great guys who play weeks in the Square and Preservation Hall. There are more musicians coming back since Katrina but the NOLA sound is harder to find. I still travel about hunting for a new boudin or tasso to taste. Old La. cookbooks and cookware are always on my radar. I like to old recipes before cajun food got to hot to eat. When did Cajun get so hot is a questions us old folks wonder? Louisiana as a place to retire will cost you more, make you sicker and less aid/medical care when you need the help! As a place to visit come on down and enjoy. I recommend the festival in Lafayette (Festival International de Louisiane http://festivalinternational.org/) over the Jazz Fest. Lafayette free. $120 plus a day for the Jazz Fest and you have to hunt for the Jazz. Like Bruce Springsteen, Paul Simon, etc but I don't think they are Jazz musicians. They get in under heritage but that's like getting the musical great great grandchild. Headed down this way I still keep up with good food and places to see and things to do. Let me know if you are going to be here and I can give you some hints and advise. Drove a cab in NOLA and still frequent the better (not costly) restaurants of NOLA. Like Liuzzie's or Pascal Manallie's (sic)
Matt 25:31ff
Treasured Social Butterfly

Message 3 of 4 (960 Views)

Good morning,

We don't intend to move to your lovely state once fully retired, however we do intend a few extended visits. We have a creole/cajun restaurant here (that raises its own organic vegetables and makes everything from scratch) you might want to blame for that. Plus the musical and art culture and the beauty. 

But as to where we expect to live ... you are right: move north

The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical. - Julius Erving
Conversationalist

Do Not Retire to Louisiana

Message 4 of 4 (1,024 Views)
Hello, I was born and have lived my live South of I-10 in Louisiana. This was once a very great place to live but over the years it has become a place that I don't recognize. The first reason I do not recommend LA is the weather. Whether you believe in global warming or not it has gotten hot as hell. In 1972, the first HS football game of the season was the Friday before labor day you needed to wear a light jacket or sweater. Now you don't need long sleeves till Dec, My father always had a vegetable garden, until the mid eighties he was only able to get more than one crop between last frost and first frost. Today I am growing the same things but year around. We were 8b zone, then 9a and now 10b. I just took down tomatoes to make room for my potatoes. The other beds are ready to plant tomatos which I will do this week. Maybe another frost but a sheet will protect them. My great great grandfather came to LA to start a citrus orchard. My grandfather tried to raise citrus in Lake Charles until his death in 1970 and the trees wouldn't make it a season. About 20 years ago citrus trees began to take in this area and now I have a mini orchard with 10 citrus trees that produce so much that I can make enough orange juice to last all year. In the last few years it has become possible to raise avocados and apricots. Chef John Folse has started an olive orchard and some folks getting some luck with apples. The flooding this year is directly related to over growth of urban areas, rising Gulf levels, increase temps draw more moisture from the gulf. There are bays and areas on the coast of Louisiana where I ran supply boats to the offshore oil platforms that have disappeared. And it will only get worse. Last year the Mississippi River spring floods came months early. You like 7 months of steam and heat than this is the place for you, Friend of mosquitoes and roaches than come on down it is getting worse by the day. We have to spray insecticides from trucks and planes to keep the mosquitoes down. Like breathing and eating insecticides come on down. I will write the second reason in the next day or two. But understand I love Louisiana but not the one that is here today. Like the Federal government today is not the one I pledged allegiance too in High School. Love the country hate the government! T PS there is much discussion about when Cajun food became so hot. Always full of spice with a slight kick. You wanted it hotter you reach for the hot sauce. Taught always cook like a Yankee was eating with you!
Matt 25:31ff