Tell Congress to Oppose Any Tax Bill That Would Increase Taxes for Seniors! Take Action Now

Conversationalist

Re: Discussion Groups Update

Message 11 of 17 (453 Views)

Yes, your suggestion is a good one but one problem is that probably half of the participants do not have computers or mobile devices thus, the reason I provide hard copies of presentations and other material. Talking would be afar easier for them in any case than typing. Although it would require some organisation, Skype video conference calls could be used for discussions utilising a single computer. As you probably know one can involve up to 25 people on a Skype conference call and the connection is free with no special equipment needed. 

Treasured Social Butterfly

Message 12 of 17 (430 Views)

@baoluo Sorry, just typing as I'm thinking. Smiley Happy

This site allows photos, so you could create your Powerpoint slides and post them. It also allows video, so you could record an intro or feature element.

I think somone could make this happen right here.

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Highlighted

Message 13 of 17 (361 Views)

@baoluo  So you could post the topic here one week, and the next week gather like I mentioned to discuss.

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving

Message 14 of 17 (354 Views)

@baoluo Awesome work with your discussion groups. Truly.

I was thinking in different terms, however, when I suggested a person could form a discussion group using the existing AARP online forums. See, I'm thinking you just need to gather people interested in a topic and set a time (or day) when you meet here and trade ideas via posts (like we are doing now).  This way you do not need the infrastructure, set up or equipment, and nobody has to travel, but people could join in even if they live states away from you.

Just an idea. Smiley Happy

Conversationalist

Message 15 of 17 (348 Views)

I have already implemented my idea at the Bridge Park Senior community and it has been met with great enthusiasm by the participants who range in age from 70 to 90 years. I have built the discussions around my two Powerpoint Presentations that I use as talking points. We meet weekly, one hour for each subject followed by hardcopy of the presentations sent to those without internet access and by email. The subject matter is not what one would consider of interest to older people but surprisingly it has been most successful which shows just how much one underestimates their interests and capabilities. One presentation deals with Artificial Intelligence and Robotics,  how they are impacting on society and how they will do so in the future. The other presentation is about Geopolitics, the influence of geography on international affairs.The presentations are ongoing and updated weekly with new developments.We also now have weekly book discussions on both subjects.I would be happy to share the presentations and our modus operandi with others but I would need the assistance of an organisation such as AARP for this to happen. 

Re: Discussion Groups

Message 16 of 17 (341 Views)

Hi @baoluo your discussion group idea for retirement communities sounds interesting enough, and I can certainly see the benefits.  I suggest, though, that this online community could be that of which you speak. It just takes someone to make it happen. 

Conversationalist

Discussion Groups

Message 17 of 17 (557 Views)

AARP should be working with retirement communities to promote discussion groups that keep Seniors engaged in current affairs both present and future and learning new skills such as a new language that invigorate cognitive faculties. Research has shown the benefits of these activities as opposed to the low brain level ones AARP and senior communities usually advertise. At my community we have launched two weekly discussion groups, one on Artificial  Intelligence and another on International Affairs and they have been greeted and taken on enthusiastically by the participants who range in age fromn 70 to 86. Unfortunately neither AARP nor the communities take the initiative in this regard or do anything to help. It was left to us the residents to take action.