ACA Open Enrollment Ends Today. Review Your Options Before Being Locked in for 2018. Read More

Conversationalist

Re: Discussion Groups

Message 1 of 17

Thank you for your message but I think you misread the intention of my post.We are not looking for speakers. If you read my earlier exchanges with another AARP member below, you will see that there are two 70 slide presentations that I have created and narrate and book discussions I conduct. What is needed from AARP is a more serious effort to promote intellectually stimulating activities as opposed to the usual low-level brain activities such as bingo, card games, and movies that are prevalent in most all senior communities I have visited. l have seen no evidence of AARP's interest to encourage senior communities to engage in activities that challenge and stimulate the minds of the elderly. What I have done here is on my own initiative with no help from either the management of the senior community or AARP. As I have pointed out below, scientific research has shown clearly that this approach works to keep the brain and mind healthy and hold in abeyance mental decline. You are always appealing for subscription money but I see none of the revenue devoted to anything really worthwhile for us. Just discount coupons and cruises designed to keep the elderly distracted and entertained. You underestimate us and misunderstand our needs.

Report Inappropriate Content
Community Manager

Re: Discussion Groups

Message 2 of 17

Hello, @baoluo. Thank you for posting in the Online Community. If you are looking for a speaker for an upcoming discussion group, the AARP Speakers Bureau is a resource for you. It’s a free service offered to the community. Please contact AARP Washington by email at aarpwa@aarp.org or call toll-free 1-866-227-7457 and they’d be happy to help.

Conversationalist

Re: Discussion Groups Update 2

Message 3 of 17

Good point about my email address, delete duly done.  I checked the google docs link you sent and that seems secure and doable but, if you are interested in seeing the presentations, I would need to enter your name/address to send you the docs. Yes? No rush, I am still in the process of fleshing out the presentation by adding more extensive Presenter notes on all the slides. My friends in the Springs are now encouraging me to circulate the idea to selected senior communities in that area, and elsewhere. Your suggestions have been most helpful. Thank you. Cheers.

Treasured Social Butterfly

Message 4 of 17

@baoluo  Paul, it sounds like you've invested a ton of time into this already, and that tie will make the progect translate easily to the web. Excellent! I suggest editing your emial address out of your last post. These posts are Google-able, which is to say your email address, if left there, will end up on the world wide craziness, uh, web, Smiley Happy where scammers and spammers will glean it and use it against you.

I haven't done this myself, but I know you could share your documents via Google docs. Since, as I said, I haven't done it, I pulled the wikihow directions: http://www.wikihow.com/Share-Google-Docs

This way you upload once and share with whomever at whatever point in your development process. So it's efficient and it is free. (big yay goes here)

I bet you know Colorado Springs better than I do, then. I know a few cycling friends/fellow competitors and one absolute cycling god (he fixed my trike right before a race after a local shop made a mess of it) that live there.

Best to you,

Epster

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Conversationalist

Message 5 of 17

It might be helpful to send you a pdf of my presentations to give you a flavour and level of the content. The AI one has some Presenter notes attached to the slides and I could eventually use those as a basis for recording comments about the talking points. They need some editing, font changes and maybe expanding. Many of the Geopolitics topics require historical background detail that I have provided in spoken comments. However, I don't see a file attachment feature on this site. The presentations are lengthy, 72 slides for AI and 49 (with more to come) on Geopolitics. With the discussion group here we have done them in tranches by topic and depending on the content, 4-5 sides each session. I also provided the participants with suggested book reading lists for the subjects. I could send those as well. Would you be willing to exchange email addresses? I would prefer using email while dialoguing about setup and attaching files. 

Incidentally, I have visited the Springs many times, have several friends there and hiked up Pikes Peak ten years ago. I have lived and worked  (business) almost my entire adult life away from the US, 45 years in Europe, 12 years in Latin America, so Colorado Springs and environs are the few places in the US  I know relatively well.

Re: Discussion Groups Update

Message 6 of 17

Apple devotees on this end as well. DH is a software engineer: his best-ever job was when he was working from home for an all-Mac shop. Things just worked. Smiley Happy

Colorado Springs is a truly wonderful area. Gorgeous. Friendly. Close to great mountains, populated by more than its fair share of amazing athletes. At 6,000 feet above sea level, you'll find the weather a sharp departure from Seattle, but if it is elegance you're looking for, the Springs delivers.

Seattle's Pike Place Farmers Market beats anything you'll find here, though. Well, except that we have the actual Pike's Peak, I mean. Smiley Happy

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Conversationalist

Message 7 of 17

Interesting, I am seriously considering a move to Colorado (the Springs) from Seattle. Mac is great and so is Keynote, perhaps better than PowerPoint but then I am an Apple Fan.

Message 8 of 17

@baoluo You know I'm on a MAC and have yet to use Keynote. You've inspired me to play around with it. Thanks! Smiley Happy

I'm in Colorado, so MST, or will be in November, at any rate.

Message 9 of 17

baoluo wrote:

Yes, your suggestion is a good one but one problem is that probably half of the participants do not have computers or mobile devices thus, the reason I provide hard copies of presentations and other material. Talking would be afar easier for them in any case than typing. Although it would require some organisation, Skype video conference calls could be used for discussions utilising a single computer. As you probably know one can involve up to 25 people on a Skype conference call and the connection is free with no special equipment needed. 

@baoluo Google hangouts could work for this as well. Smiley Happy

Maybe there are two types of groups: the Skype/Google hangout variety (which sounds fun, and immediate) and the online forums version, which might be a way for less immediate, perhaps more soundly reasoned responses. You could pose the topic on Monday mornings, ask participants to post questions by Wednesday at, say 9AM, then have people post comments and responses until perhaps Friday at 5PM, then hold the live discussion every Sunday afternoon. (Off the top o' me noggin, so obviously could be tweaked, that schedule.)

Conversationalist

Message 10 of 17

Thank you. Yes, that could work. Let me work on including a recording of my intro and presentation comments. I know I can do it with Powerpoint or Keynote (Apple). I just need to coordinate it properly it with the content. Let me think about the best solution and I will get back to you tomorrow. BTW I am on PST.