Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Did You Retire Where You Wanted o Live? 🏡

Anonymous
Not applicable

Did You Retire Where You Wanted o Live? 🏡

Curious to hear from those who have retired.

I had no idea I would end up in Virginia in 2015. My only child moved back to Florida from Virginia a few years ago. She was born in Florida and never liked Virginia. I thought about moving back but so not wanting to deal with the heat and high air conditioning bills 😱

0 Kudos
Bronze Conversationalist

I hadn't actually thought about retiring anywhere but where I was already living. But now that my daughter may be moving out of state for her own career, I've been thinking about maybe moving elsewhere. Trouble is there are a limited number of states without state income tax, and the only other one that appeals to be is just as expensive and remote as WA state. And the rest are unappealing for a variety of reasons, so I'm likely to stay right here. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Friday - April 16, 2021

France is a dynamic, diverse country that offers retirement options for every taste and budget. Anyone retired in France?France-Retirement-index-2021.jpg

0 Kudos
Bronze Conversationalist

I'm just seeing this, and so many others you've posted in this Retirement forum, @Anonymous . Being an ex-pat sounds quite romantic. I visited France a lot when I was working in Germany, and there was a lot of charm in the smaller towns and villages,  especially if you can speak French well, and don't insist on being too much of the ugly American. LOL 

If I were young, I'd be very tempted to be a digital nomad for a while.

Anonymous
Not applicable

May 14, 2021

@DeahWA Do you speak any languages besides English?

0 Kudos
Bronze Conversationalist

Do you speak..... is a question I learned meant very different things in the US from how it is understood in Europe where people are fluent in several languages.  So, I can order a meal in French and German, used to be able to ask directions in French, and say hello and thank you in Korean and that's about it. LOL 

Oh, and I also am fairly fluent in psychobabble and astrobabble. 🤣😂 Plus I have worked hard at forgetting all the academic babble I had to learn. 😎🙄

Conversationalist

I didn't retire where I wanted to retire. I wanted to retire on the West Coast, but the pandemic had other plans for my retirement..LOL. I laugh now because I am actually enjoying where I am at, so much to do when things are back to "normal".

Shari
Kudos
Views
Anonymous
Not applicable

April 3, 2021

Hi @st18688804 thank you for stopping by 🙂 Awesome that things fell in place for you.

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP