AARP and the photographers of Magnum Photos look at older people living in new ways around the world in A New Age.

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: Did You Have To Leave An Area You Loved Because You Simply Couldn't Afford To Retire There?

Message 31 of 40

I'm in northern IL.  I lost my last full time job when I was 59.  I have been working very part time since then.  First living on savings and husband's sevivor benefits from social security; now I'm on my social security.  I still have a morgage on the house that eats up over half of the s.s. check.  With utilities going up, groceries going up, gas going up, medical costs goin gup and social security staying the same and threats of loosing it - I an considering selling my home and moving to southern IL.  The housing costs are a little less; property taxes are less and the hospitals aren't as good as here.  But, I think I can survive there.  My younger sister is there and I can make new friends.  I hate to leave all that I have know - I was raised in this area - but I have to survvie some how.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: Did You Have To Leave An Area You Loved Because You Simply Couldn't Afford To Retire There?

Message 32 of 40

I also live in MA on the northshore in Marblehead. I am considering a move to the Jersey Shore in a 55+ community . I will be renting as I do now, although the new unit will be a little smaller. The complex has great ammenities (heated pool, clubhouse,.movie theater, fitness center etc and is only 15 mins from the beach) It does appear to be a little cheaper there than here (utilities, auto insurance, food etc), although I will have to get new health insurance as I am retired from the State of MA and get good coverage now. But even that is changing and I feel with the Affordable Care Act I can get something for the same money in NJ. I am only 63 but can go back on MA insurance for Medicare so I only need new insurance for a year or so). I was looking at Savannah as the cost of living is about 30% cheaper but I do like the seasons and also prefer to live in a "blue state" (hopefully Christie will move on when he loses the nomination). It is a scary decision but I grew up in NJ and really miss the people even though I have lived in MA for almost 30 years. Most of my family still lives in northern NJ but my son lives in Marblehead so that will be the hardest part if I move. I figure if I don't like it in a year I can always try to move back or go someplace else.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 33 of 40
I have lived in CT for over 20 years and I love my neighborhood, church, friends, relatives, etc. the taxes and cost of living here is just unacceptable and not affordable. This is a Democrat controlled State so the economy is terrible and taxes too high. We are moving to Florida where the costs are much more reasonable. Follow the Republicans if you want a State with a strong economy, low taxes, better health care and overall quality of life.
Kudos
Views
Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 34 of 40

Catrheaper - Welcome to My World!  We live in a NYC suburb (more expensive than Cape Cod)

Retire in the NYC region after we've lived here our entire lives?  Are we crazy?  Currently, we've only been retired since Aug. 1st (last yr.).  We spent the next 5 months taking care of my father in law who unfortunately passed away in Dec.  Then we went into home renovation mode which just completed last month & we've been cleaning up, throwing unnecessary stuff out, donations, etc.  At this stage, we haven't really enjoyed retirement yet.  We've been tracking our budget & so far we're OK, but the future is a big ?.  We live in a 2 bedroom co-op apartment and monthly maintenance (HOA) fee is $1100./month + utilities + mortgage + owning 2 cars + food, etc.  Fortunately, our income is sufficient to cover our expenses, but I did my research & it's disheartening to learn how much cheaper cost of living & housing is esp. in the midwest & south. 

For what it's worth, I did research on quality medical care & guess what - the best medical care in the U.S. is the Northeast, Midwest & Western states.  Forget southern states - they rank dead last.  So for us northeasterners living in high costly states, I'm ready to move to the midwest - good medical care, low cost of living & low taxes.  Both of us will have to adjust to the culture - your Boston accent & my NY accent will have us marked immediately.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 35 of 40

I'm considering that right now...half the town is gentrified with Whole Foods and "Shoppes", huge condo complexes catering to the tri-state commuter crowd. While the other side is urban wasteland. Can we afford the taxes when it will be on my  paycheck? **** no...the house was inheritated but the taxes...no. I'm trying to get ready for that day.

Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 36 of 40

@catrheaper wrote:

I was considering Florida because my sisters live there, but I kid you not, they just announced on Facebook that when they are retired they are moving back to West Virginia where we grew up. I don't know how that would go; everybody we knew has either moved away or passed away. I moved away from home before either of them - I have lived almost twice as long in the Northeast than I ever did in WV. Even though I have very fond memories, it's not my home anymore and I can't see ever moving back. 

Well West Virginia is a beautiful state.. wonderful for hiking and kayaking and lots of outdoor activities but with the economic difficulties I think that one would be  a tough one..  

Did you give any thought to sharing a home?  Any place you have loved to vacation in?

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 37 of 40

I was considering Florida because my sisters live there, but I kid you not, they just announced on Facebook that when they are retired they are moving back to West Virginia where we grew up. I don't know how that would go; everybody we knew has either moved away or passed away. I moved away from home before either of them - I have lived almost twice as long in the Northeast than I ever did in WV. Even though I have very fond memories, it's not my home anymore and I can't see ever moving back. 

Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 38 of 40

@catrheaper wrote:

I live in Cape Cod, Massachusetts, and I moved here about a dozen years ago. I love my friends, my church, my doctors (I am a cancer survivor, and we have a great health care system in the Bay State). The problem is, I don't have enough to retire here, because there is simply no affordable senior housing except subsidized housing that is tiny, depressing and few and far between with an incredibly long waiting list. With my ex-husband's social security that I would collect after I retire, it looks like I would have too much income to qualify for one of them anyway. I live in a small apartment as it is, and have no family here. 

My sisters live in Florida, but they are constantly complaining about how the Republican government (I guess this is the case with the majority of Southern states) is making life harder and harder for the poor and elderly. I worry that I wouldn't be able to find the quality of medical care I have in Massachusetts, and if the Republican Congress does away with Medicare, it might be the only safe state to stay in where you can keep your health insurance. 

Did any of you have to make this hard choice? Where did you live and where did you end up retiring to? Or did you just stay put, grit your teeth, tighten your belt and learn to live more lean? How did it go? Did you regret your decision? Did it turn out to be a good thing? Did you wish you had stayed put? Thanks!

You live in a beautiful area.. after spending some time there I called it Mercedes world.  We talked to some of the local workers who said that living there was extremely difficult cost wise, kind of like NYC.  So considering the costs;  is there the possibility of co-housing, shared living with a friend or relative?   It is sad that  you have to make a choice but at least you do have family that you would be near and as we age that is important as well.  Can you take some time to stay in Florida and see how you would like it?   

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 39 of 40

I have a similar situation but from a little different perspective. As you are not supposed to do, we retired with a bit of our mortgage left; we can afford it no problem. The problem arises when we think of moving to downsize.

We love the area we are in. Close to a primo hospital, restaurants, financial institution, etc. When we start looking though, anything we look at, in our immediate area, that is any newer than where we live, is $100,000 more than we can afford.....even if we downsize. While our home has increased in value, newer homes have exponentially increased in value in this area. Our mortgage payment roughly equals a one bedroom apartment rent in the area.

So I guess I am staying where I am although it is getting harder to climb stairs so one day I might have to face moving.

Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views
Replies

Did You Have To Leave An Area You Loved Because You Simply Couldn't Afford To Retire There?

Message 40 of 40

I live in Cape Cod, Massachusetts, and I moved here about a dozen years ago. I love my friends, my church, my doctors (I am a cancer survivor, and we have a great health care system in the Bay State). The problem is, I don't have enough to retire here, because there is simply no affordable senior housing except subsidized housing that is tiny, depressing and few and far between with an incredibly long waiting list. With my ex-husband's social security that I would collect after I retire, it looks like I would have too much income to qualify for one of them anyway. I live in a small apartment as it is, and have no family here. 

My sisters live in Florida, but they are constantly complaining about how the Republican government (I guess this is the case with the majority of Southern states) is making life harder and harder for the poor and elderly. I worry that I wouldn't be able to find the quality of medical care I have in Massachusetts, and if the Republican Congress does away with Medicare, it might be the only safe state to stay in where you can keep your health insurance. 

Did any of you have to make this hard choice? Where did you live and where did you end up retiring to? Or did you just stay put, grit your teeth, tighten your belt and learn to live more lean? How did it go? Did you regret your decision? Did it turn out to be a good thing? Did you wish you had stayed put? Thanks!

Kudos
Views
Replies
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Have a question about AARP membership or benefits? Ask it in the AARP Help Membership forum, Benefits & Discounts forum, or General forum.

multiple white question marks with center red question mark