Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Calling All Writers -- What Are You Working On?

Bronze Conversationalist

Calling All Writers -- What Are You Working On?

Scanning through a lot of posts over the past few days, I've seen a few people identifying as writers. I'd love to hear all about what you are working on now, or about your most recent work. Whether you are a poet, a tech or other non-fiction writer, a fiction writer, academic or blogger, let's share! And maybe say something about your history as a writer, too. 

Shall I start?

In some way, I've always been a writer,  although like many, that's not how I made a living for most of my life -- except when I was a civilian public affairs officer at a couple US Air Force bases. There I not only wrote for the base newspapers, but also published a number of human interest stories in a variety of magazines.

As a psychotherapist and teacher I wrote real and fictionalized case studies to help clients and students understand psychodynamic concepts and paths to balanced mental health. Later as a business coach for therapists, I blogged marketing content for business building.

Since retirement and pandemic hit at about the same time, I've returned to writing poetry, and trying out several memoirs, flash fiction and short stories. At the moment I have a story of navigating a romance during the pandemic in process, along with a verse novel, and a second collection of flash fiction highlighting some of the historical figures in my genealogy. 

What are you working on? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @DeahWA I am not an expert on this board/lol, but thinking the following forums are more ACTIVE. But no pressure to listen to me 😉

1. Family and Friends
  2. Leisure and Lifestyle

Good Luck with finding other writers!!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor

BTW, I'm trying to feel my way around to learn where I fit in.

Wanjiru Warama
Anonymous
Not applicable

@WanjirusBits you fit right here 🙂

Trusted Contributor

Thank you for following on this. I've just seen your post. Yes, I'm a writer on nonfiction books. I've two projects going. I'm writing a short story - up to 5K to submit to my Writers' Guild year Anthology. But my biggest project is a series of five books on family life during the colonial era/war of independence in Kenya. The series will span one century from 1884 to 1984. The first 2 books are with beta-readers. 

Wanjiru Warama
Bronze Conversationalist

Hello @WanjirusBits Thanks for responding to this. Your big project sounds fascinating. When do you think you'll publish and where will your books be available? 

Just recently I have tried my hand at short stories, finding it both satisfying and difficult to adhere to the length restriction. Are you at liberty at this point to disclose a synopsis of yours?

BTW, I'm also trying to figure out this AARP community, hoping it can become more active and diverse.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yay, @DeahWA you have a response 🙂 @WanjirusBits  I am so GLAD you saw it!!! 🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @DeahWA I am not an expert on this board/lol, but thinking the following forums are more ACTIVE. But no pressure to listen to me 😉

1. Family and Friends
  2. Leisure and Lifestyle

Good Luck with finding other writers!!

0 Kudos
Bronze Conversationalist

Thanks Angela, I couldn't decide where to put it. Now have to figure out how to move it. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @DeahWA you are welcome and no need to move post. Just post again 👌 A writer may see it here and respond 🙂

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Bubble Shooter and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP