Join the Town Hall on Turning Your Passion into Profit at 7 p.m. ET. Register Now

Recognized Social Butterfly

LOVEABULL: Assisted Living and Retirement Communities...Where Do I Start?

Message 1 of 9

http://www.55places.com/

This is a great place to start!   Good luck!

FLORIDA LIVING

Report Inappropriate Content
Recognized Social Butterfly

Re: Assisted Living and Retirement Communities...Where Do I Start?

Message 2 of 9

I live in an adult community in Central Jersey.  There are dozens of them around.  Some old, some new, some expensive, some cheap. Some are restricted to age 55 and old.  Others have a perentage of age 48 and the rest must be over 55.  Most allow children over age 19.  They usually do not allow school age children.  I'm not sure about a special needs child.  As far as I know, all of them allow 2 pets per household.  You're best bet is to check their sites and spend some days visiting various communities and seeing which would suit your needs. You'll need to consider location, house prices, expenses to maintain and the monthly maintenance fees, taxes, activities provided, amenities, etc.  Real Estate listings usually have separate sections for adult community properties. Good luck.

Info Seeker

Message 3 of 9
I will work until I can see my way but the way these jobs are treating their employees it no respect we have to hold on count our pennies you be scare to quit because it may be a while before you be rehired we need a roof over our head food lights water it's hard out here that's why these jobs treat us like nothing back in the day companies didn't pay that much but they respect us it just plain hard out here
Bronze Conversationalist

Message 4 of 9
go shopping just like anything else, research online and in person. ask lots of questions.
sarahlin
Super Social Butterfly

Message 5 of 9
I prefer to stay away from these places as there are too many old fuddy's.
Info Seeker

Message 6 of 9

to loveabull.........

Find a Special Needs Trust lawyer now...and set up a trust for your daughter.  This will protect her after you are gone.  It is the most important thing you can do for her.

Info Seeker

Message 7 of 9

Hi Lovabull,  Many retirement communities accept pets and adult dependent children.  I cannot speak for the New Jersey area, but we were forced to retire much earlier than expected.  Living in California at the time, retirement there was not an option; too expensive.  So, we sold our home and moved to Sun City, (Georgetown)Texas.  Yes, the weather has been an adjustment.  But we were able to buy a brand new home, in a community that we call a "land-locked cruise ship" because of the thousands of activities, and we are grateful.  Retirement has become a joy as we now use our previous skills in volunteer work and do what we want when we want to.  We could also have adult children living with us if necessary and up to two pets.  Best of all worlds.  Hope you are able to find something similar.  Blessings, Rebecca

Bronze Conversationalist

Message 8 of 9

First, what if you die tomorrow:  who's going to look after your 14 year old daughter?  If not a relative, who else?  A neighbor for many years?

Second, have you  checked some retirement communities to see if they will take a special needs relative and a dog?  If you have a computer, it's a good way to investigate instead of driving around.  But these two items have to be taken care of now.

philo j
Valued Social Butterfly

Assisted Living and Retirement Communities...Where Do I Start?

Message 9 of 9

Yes I've thought about my retirement options...I will work until I die at my job. Anyways, trying to research senior communities around the NJ shore area. Two issues-special needs daughter who is 14 and receives SSI, will be dependent on us for many years to come. And my big dumb baby boy, he could pass for forty pounds and I would swear on ten bibles he's a boxer mix. How do I find a place that would allow a dependent child and a dog?