Medicare open enrollment ends Dec. 7! Get the information you need from AARP’s Medicare resource center.

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views
Replies

Anyone retire to Florida and decide to leave?

Message 21 of 21

I retired to the Orlando area after retiring 8 years ago from Upstate NY. I couldn't stand the winters there and the small city feel. Initially it was exciting to have a large area to explore. There were beaches, Theme parks, and I found a large hiking community that I was involved with. I enjoy traveling also, and the Orlando International Airport where I live nearby is convenient. One could always find something to do here.

However after 8 years, I realize that I haven't really made any intimate relationships. Yes I interact with people on a regular basis but the relationships are all superficial. I live in a subdivision of mostly young families and I don't know my neighbors well. Many don't speak English. The nice retirement communities are a distance from the metro area. I need to be near a downtown area with a theater, arena or other event venues. I thought family would visit more often, however they don't.

One of the problems I have with Florida is the lack of public transportation. I don't want to rely on driving everywhere as I get older. Also, I'm tiring of the intense summers here and the insects. I've tried over the past several years to deal with them, and this is the main reason I've decided to relocate. I'm currently looking into Charlotte, NC as it is a metropolis, offers a change of seasons however doesn't have intense summers, and has a major international airport. I also have relatives in NC.

I'm curious if others have retired to Florida and discovered it's not the place for them?

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Replies
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Roundtable Discussion:
Ask questions and get advice from fellow entrepreneurs