Get the vision care news and information you need in the AARP Eye Center.

Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Anyone retire to Florida and decide to leave?

Message 1 of 21

@amcoffiebean wrote:

I was a real estate agent in Central Florida for 30 years and was amazed at the retired people who moved here but chose to move back to where they moved from. The number 1 reason was they missed family.........especially if they left Grandchildren.  

I also read an article about the number of seniors who moved again after a spouse died and they did not want to be alone so moved back to where family was.  Something to consider.. possibly rentals rather than buy.

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 21
I'm from DC, left, came back (X3) and think what you are saying is so funny! People don't realize how horrible it is to live in this area. I'm lucky I don't have problems with my only daughter with wanting a slave. I don't play that crap. I'll tell her I'm going to the store, I'll be back in a few. She doesn't want to be here either lol.
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 21
Good advise and thanks. NC is another place I thought of.
Kudos
Views
Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 21

I think it was just a matter of not really thinking it through.  It is a tough decision to make for anyone.  I am too set in my ways to move that far away and I do have some family within a driving distance from my home.

Kudos
Views
Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 21

I wasn't amazed the #1 reason for moving back was to be near family. I was amazed at the number of retirees who moved here and then moved back "home" for whatever reason. It wasn't the "picture" painted about retirees loving FL. Many sold homes and made a major life change when deciding to move away and I respected those who realized the move was not for them after all. I also am not criticizing those who chose to move back, wanted to do it myself for many years. I am from the Midwest, moving to Central FL after college.  I'm not particularly fond of living here but circumstances kept me here and now as I'm aging, the cold weather bothers just about every joint in my body! We are considering moving away however, just in the early investigation period and thinking, thinking, thinking. 

amcoffiebean
Kudos
Views
Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 21

Very funny!  Mine is about half and half.  Love my kids, but would never want to be near my siblings.

Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 21
really? My family sucks
Kudos
Views
Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 21

In an ideal world yes, family is everything.  It does not always turn out that way though.  Some move just to get away from being used by children.

Kudos
Views
Recognized Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

COMMENT: Anyone retire to Florida and decide to leave?

Message 9 of 21

Hi amcoffiebean,

I was surprised by your comment regarding retirees moving to Florida and then going back to be near family and grandchildren.

Are you a native Floridian?   I doubt I would have moved to Florida from California if I had to leave my family.  But being

an orphan elder I am not tethered.  Here in Florida I am surrounded by retirees with strong bonds to their families.

I have never witnessed such close family attachment until I moved here.

Where do you live now?

Kudos
Views
Recognized Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 21
amcoffiebean,
Why does this surprise you? Family is everything!
Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Open Enrollment: Oct 15-Dec 7, 2019 Find resources to help you decide on the best healthcare insurance plans for you during Open Enrollment season