Get the information you need to help care for your eyes at the AARP Eye Center. Visit it today!

Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Ageism Causes a Lack of Respect for the Elderly

Message 1 of 5

@retiredtraveler wrote:

"...What do you mean by feeling like you're "fair game" to these entities, and what are you doing about it?..".

I'm with her!!!

We do have some percentage of elderly who do not have all their faculties and could be 'easy prey'.  This has always been true.

On the other hand, we also have a percentage of elderly who went through life not advancing their knowlege, even with a lifetime of the opportunity to learn, and end up reading a 'help me' email from a Nigerian and run down to their bank to withdraw cash.

I'm very gratified to see more seniors taking computer-usage  classes and learning about what is happening out in the world by going online, especially those who have discovered the 'original promise' of the internet which was to inform the masses, world wide.

We can always be a victim through error, but we can certainly protect ourselves by arming ourselves with knowlege.    

I am with both of them!   I feel like most of the men and women that I know are very much in control of their own lives and have a lot of interest in the world in general and their own situations specifically!  Anyone I deal with that doesn't think I know what is going on will be looking for a new client! 

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 5

"...What do you mean by feeling like you're "fair game" to these entities, and what are you doing about it?..".

I'm with her!!!

We do have some percentage of elderly who do not have all their faculties and could be 'easy prey'.  This has always been true.

On the other hand, we also have a percentage of elderly who went through life not advancing their knowlege, even with a lifetime of the opportunity to learn, and end up reading a 'help me' email from a Nigerian and run down to their bank to withdraw cash.

I'm very gratified to see more seniors taking computer-usage  classes and learning about what is happening out in the world by going online, especially those who have discovered the 'original promise' of the internet which was to inform the masses, world wide.

We can always be a victim through error, but we can certainly protect ourselves by arming ourselves with knowlege.    

"...Why is everyone a victim? Take personal responsibility for your life..."
Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 5
Remember when you were twenty and saw a fifty year old? You thought you knew better than them and wouldn't make their mistakes. Now you're seen as almost senile and with nothing to contribute to modern living because your life is on the downside. You have to remind them that you might outlive them and you're still i n this world and can contribute to better living with your experience.
philo j
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 5
@dianekeefe wrote:

I feel like since I've past 55, I seem to be fair game to the medical establishment, insurance companies, our government and other entities who prey on the elderly.  It's somewhat scary to discover the lack of respect for the elderly in our country.  How did that happen?  The elderly are often helping their families and grandchildren and volunteering in the community.  They are not dead weight. I'm perplexed!

What do you mean by feeling like you're "fair game" to these entities, and what are you doing about it?

When I was only in my mid-40s, my right wrist began to bother me, and a new doctor I tried asked my age, and immediately chalked it up to arthritis! I did a little checking myself, and it was due to my computer being put on a higher surface than I was used to .. easy to fix. I never went back to that doctor!

I let doctors know when I don't like their attitudes, whether it's ageism or something else. They earned a medical degree, not wings! I've never felt preyed upon, but I certain feel surrounded by laziness & stupidity which result in poor customer service all over. I don't take it personally, they treat everyone the same way .. and that's a big problem.

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views
Replies

Ageism Causes a Lack of Respect for the Elderly

Message 5 of 5

I feel like since I've past 55, I seem to be fair game to the medical establishment, insurance companies, our government and other entities who prey on the elderly.  It's somewhat scary to discover the lack of respect for the elderly in our country.  How did that happen?  The elderly are often helping their families and grandchildren and volunteering in the community.  They are not dead weight. I'm perplexed!

Kudos
Views
Replies