Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

๐Ÿ‘ด๐Ÿ‘ตAffordable Places to Retire on the Water | Retirement | U.S. News

Anonymous
Not applicable

๐Ÿ‘ด๐Ÿ‘ตAffordable Places to Retire on the Water | Retirement | U.S. News

โ–ถ๏ธโ€ŒTo reply, click on reply button at bottom of this post. Enter your text. Click reply button again.โ—€๏ธ

***READ the comments and/or ADD a comment***

Here are 10 affordable places to retire on the water:

(1) Minneapolis-St. Paul, Minnesota.

(2)Miami.

(3)Tampa, Florida.

(4)Virginia Beach, Virginia.

(5)Jacksonville, Florida.

(6)Orlando, Florida.

(7)Melbourne, Florida.

(8)Chicago.

(9)Cape Coral, Florida.

(10)Sarasota, Florida.

๐Ÿ—ฃBy Rachel Hartman and Emily Brandon. Reviewed by Katy Marquardt. March 28, 2023.

๐Ÿ‘‰Link to online information 

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

(1 comment) I am NOT sure about ALL of the states listed in this article, but I know from living in BOTH Florida (Melbourne, Florida before 2015 and back again 2023) and Roanoke, Virginia (2015-2023) - FLORIDA is EXPENSIVE!!! โ€Œ๐Ÿ˜ฑโ€Œ

As an "example" my CAR INSURANCE with Allstate for my Old Lady (2006 Hyundai Elantra) is 3 TIMES more EXPENSIVE in Florida. ๐Ÿ˜ญ

Nicole ๐Ÿ™ƒ

0 Kudos
Gold Conversationalist

@Anonymous 

I'm glad to hear that you are "back" in Florida, near your family. I know this has been your wish for quite some time. Congratulations! Best Wishes! and Good Luck!

Kudos
Views
Super Contributor

I appreciate the list! I didn't realize there were affordable places left that were on or near the water. I laughed at @fffred comment about inner Florida not being on the water yet. ๐Ÿ™‚  Building levees in coastal towns may be a growing business before long if it isn't already.

Not sure where to look on this site. I am looking for recomendations for a 55+ retirement community in Phoenix or Scottsdale. I am 70 and want to start looking for was wondering if AARP had some recomendations

Gold Conversationalist

I was a long-time resident in # 10, Sarasota, FL. I definitely would not call it "affordable" for most people, other than retired executives, business owners, professionals. There is the rich crust of Sarasota, the "Gold Coast" attracts an international jet set of very wealthy people. Then there's a thin filling of upper middle class professionals, especially those in the medical field (Sarasota has a huge population of old people and they need medical services. And Sarasota was great for that aspect!) and formerly well-off retirees. And then there's a Huge Bottom Crust of poverty stricken elderly and the working poor that support the wheels to keep Sarasota running... the health care workers, home aides, lawn care, technicians, etc. Many of them working 2 or 3 jobs to be able to live in that area.

But certainly the coastal area south of Sarasota, or even north of there, and even north of the Tampa area, are much more affordable. The interior of Florida can be very affordable too. although it's not necessarily "on the water" (yet), and it's not too far to drive from there to either coast, to the Tampa area, the Orlando area (Disney, etc), or to Miami. 

# 9, Cape Coral. yes, that's definitely an affordable area, more so than Sarasota. And it is pretty nice there.

cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipedeยฎ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP