Live Your Best Life With Rewards for Good. Start Earning Reward Points Now. Get Started Now!

Treasured Social Butterfly

Re: 8 Topics To Tackle if You Want to Survive Retirement with Your Spouse

Message 1 of 2

lifehack.jpg

I certainly want to get to and enjoy retirement with my spouse. Smiley Happy

What do you think of these tips? Are there any you disagree with, any topic you think important that's not on the list?

And what do you think of this Lifehack article about retiring early? http://www.lifehack.org/articles/money/6-things-you-need-you-want-retire-early.html

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Report Inappropriate Content
Treasured Social Butterfly

8 Topics To Tackle if You Want to Survive Retirement with Your Spouse

Message 2 of 2

8 Topics to Tackle if You Want to Survive Retirement with Your Spouse

can-i-realistically-retire-when-i-want-to.jpg

Before you got married, you probably discussed where you wanted to live, whether or not you would have kids and your general hopes for the future.

Before you bought a house, you and your spouse talked about where would be best, what size home you hoped to acquire and more.

Before you had kids (or decided not to --Epster), you hopefully discussed discipline philosophies, educational goals and roles and responsibilities for raising them.

Guess what?  As you approach and enter retirement, the big conversations are not over.  And, while there is an awful lot to discuss with your spouse, research suggests that couples aren’t talking.  A survey by Fidelity Investments found that finances and retirement planning are extremely difficult subjects for married couples.  In fact, the survey found that:

• Only a small percentage of respondents expressed confidence in their partner’s abilities to manage their finances.
  • Less than half of couples make routine financial decisions, such as budgeting and paying bills, together.
  • Only 38 percent jointly discuss their investment and savings strategies for retirement.

Here are 8 discussions you should have with your spouse before you retire.  Let’s start with what should be an easy one:

(I'm giving headlines only: full text at link below)

1. What Do You Want to Do in Retirement?

2. When Are You Going to Retire?

3. Where Do You Want to Live?

4. What Roles and Responsibilities Do You Want if a Long Term Care Event Happens?

5. To Survive Retirement with Your Spouse, Discuss Your Overall Retirement Financial Plan

6. How Much Risk Are You Willing to Take? What Are Your Financial Values?

7. Keep Your Retirement Plan Updated

8. Do You Have an Estate Plan?

Read the entire article: https://www.newretirement.com/retirement/survive-retirement-with-your-spouse/

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Report Inappropriate Content
Announcements
Prepare to Care: A Resource Guide for Families download this free guide developed by AARP to help make caregiving more manageable. It includes information on how to have vital conversations with older family members, organize important documents, assess your loved one's needs and locate important resources.
Top Kudoed Authors