Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Social Butterfly

"Near You" Rewards Coupon Fail

It was interesting to me that the "Near You" rewards deals were highlighted in today's AARP Rewards email.

001 Near You-Coupon.jpg

I assume that the coupons in exchange for 500 rewards points must be generally accepted or this topic would have come up recently.  Now that many of us don't have to wear masks then we thought that we would like to do the dine-in Mexican restaurant experience with hot tortilla chips and salsa and cheese dip before being served a meal we can't possible finish! 

On Friday (5/21/21), I viewed the available Mexican places on AARP Rewards "Near You" section.  The closest place looked good after an Internet search and I called to check their hours and mentioned that I had an AARP coupon (an printable Entertainment Coupon) and described it to the man that answered.  He was emphatic that my coupon would NOT be accepted ("unless we print the coupon, we don't take the coupon; you can't print the coupon.")  I had already printed the coupon or I would not have been able to describe exactly how the coupon read.  500 points down the drain; no big deal, really.  I was nice the entire phone call, but, I can't repeat my response after I got off the phone.  Mexican restaurants are constantly filling my mailbox with junk coupons that I don't want.  This one on AARP was for 25% off the total bill; max of $25, overall a good coupon.

I went to the next choice on the list $5 off $25 from a restaurant farther away.  I asked about their hours and talked to someone who said that they would have to get the manager on the phone because they usually don't take coupons that I described.  I had to convince the manager that someone in management (or ownership of the restaurant) must have made a deal somewhere or it wouldn't have his address on it.  Finally, he said that because his actual address is on the coupon (as is the case generally with AARP coupons) then he would approve the coupon although he had not seen one of these coupons before.

In the end, I felt like these people at two different restaurants thought I was bringing in a scam coupon.  It is not a nice feeling.  I'm sure there are plenty of AARP apologists out there that will differ with my comments in some way (there always are), but, if you have been denied the use of a "near you" coupon then it would be interesting to hear a little about it.  I know of one Mexican restaurant that shouldn't be highlighted in my near you section; it is free advertising and some people may go there thinking that they will get the "near you" coupon deal, although I plan to never step foot in that restaurant after my experience.  I would mention the name and location but I keep my personal details private, but, would be willing to send the information to an AARP representative, if they were interested.

PS: Sorry for the lengthy post!

Thanks!

AndrewToo
Conversationalist

I haven't redeemed for anything local in a long long time.The last one I did was for Lees Chicken.Had the local address and store name,etc printed on the coupon.The owner acted as if I got gotten it from the moon.Said he had no idea where the coupon came from,basically acting as if it were trying to fraud.him in some way.The restaurant burned down quiet awhile ago but it was such an embarrassing experience that I never tried any more local offers. I seriously considered leaving my whole order setting there but I was pressed for time and I had people coming to eat.

Social Butterfly

Hello Teri, @AARPTeri 

Thank you for your attention to this matter.

Maybe they would have taken the coupon if I had gone there in person.  However, I believe it is a very good indication that the coupon will not be accepted when I called the actual location listed on the coupon and the man I talked with was vehement that it would not, in fact, be honored.  I believe it would have been a waste of time to go there expecting the "Near You" deal.  I could be wrong, but, I was not treated very nicely on the phone, so, I plan to never give that restaurant a dime.

I sent an image of the coupon with the name and address via private message

Hopefully, this experience can be reported to someone and remove the vendor who is getting free advertising on the AARP rewards site.

Thanks so much,

AndrewToo
Community Manager
Community Manager

Andrew,

Thank you for sharing this feedback with us!  We are always trying to improve experiences for all of our users.  We are looking further into this issue and have had business decide not to participate without notification.  I will also send you a private message with additional information.

Teri

AARPTeri

This is so disappointing.  I just redeemed 1000 points to find out the hard way the coupons wonโ€™t work.

Social Butterfly

@andrewtoo 

Andrew hate hearing of your upset ๐Ÿคข just not right

They need to remove the 'Near You' program been long time since I've even attempted to get nor use one because years ago never worked

Yes I've gotten discounts at restaurants AARP states members get: Denny's/ Outback but NEVER has anything listed on my 'Near You' list ever worked an honestly its not worth hassle & upset to even try plus sadly it cost points to find out  ๐Ÿ˜ž 

Thank goodness๐Ÿค— you were smart๐Ÿง  and called b4 going try use...I recall years ago in other threads about 'Near You' others printing coupons and going there... big mistake just as other here stated its truly unreal places they have on list: closed/ refuse to honor cause never signed up to participate/not available at franchises/ long distances away/ etc.

No clue who oversees this program for AARP but they need their head checked and need confirm offers before make available to members....its truly sad๐Ÿ˜• and very embarrassing ๐Ÿคฏ

Thanks for shedding light on this long-standing issue maybe someone will listen and reconsider the 'Near You ' program.... at least your bringing awareness to other members 'Use Caution' & checkout b4 you go

THANKS! 

Have a beautiful day! 

Ginger  :  ) 

Honored Social Butterfly

@andrewtoo wrote:

On Friday (5/21/21), I viewed the available Mexican places on AARP Rewards "Near You" section.  The closest place looked good after an Internet search and I called to check their hours and mentioned that I had an AARP coupon (an printable Entertainment Coupon) and described it to the man that answered.  He was emphatic that my coupon would NOT be accepted ("unless we print the coupon, we don't take the coupon; you can't print the coupon.")  I had already printed the coupon or I would not have been able to describe exactly how the coupon read.  500 points down the drain; no big deal, really.  I was nice the entire phone call, but, I can't repeat my response after I got off the phone. 

I went to the next choice on the list $5 off $25 from a restaurant farther away.  I asked about their hours and talked to someone who said that they would have to get the manager on the phone because they usually don't take coupons that I described.

In the end, I felt like these people at two different restaurants thought I was bringing in a scam coupon.

@andrewtoo,

It seems that you have found out what I have known for years.

THE REWARDS COUPON PROGRAM RUN BY AARP AND THE ENTERTAINMENT BOOK IS A SHAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can give you example after example.

Quiznos stores that would NOT accept the coupons for their location of Quiznos (their excuse was that they never signed up for the program and I believe them).

Restaurants that came up as close to home that were actually in the next town, over 34 miles away.

Many, many restaurants closed but their coupons were still part of the Entertainment Book Reward selection.

But my best I saved for last:

A coupon appeared for the first time in the REWARDS PROGRAM for a Buy One, Get One greens fee for a local golf course. Remember, this is the first time the coupon appeared in the REWARDS PROGRAM. Well.......... not only had this golf course been closed for over a YEAR when the coupon FIRST APPEARED, but the property was padlocked because the owners had broken the law. Their case was well publicized locally. I believe it was drug related. The whole property was in disrepair, with weeds growing everywhere, and the clubhouse abandoned. And remember, AARP had just introduced a coupon to play on this "field" behind a padlocked fence.

Anyway, I gave up earning points because almost every time I tried using them, they were wasted because of the sham nature of the REWARDS PROGRAM.

Thanks for making me recognize that absolutely nothing has changed.

Contributor

Nice

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipedeยฎ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP