Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Social Butterfly

AARP Foundation Contribution?

I have always given 4,000 points with the result of a $5 contribution from AARP to the Foundation whenever it was offered.  Although, now, it appears that the donation is no longer $5.  I forget which month this change began, but, I have become a little fed up with the absence of clarity.  All we get is this "disclosure" for our 4,000 point redemption (and most months, two 4,000 point redemptions).

"Disclosure

Your point contribution to support AARP Foundation will result in a payment from AARP to AARP Foundation to support general charitable activities and operations . Your point contribution is not tax-deductible."

Frankly, this is more of a "Lack of Disclosure" rather than a Disclosure.  The contribution is much less appealing to me now that the dollar amount given to the Foundation is concealed.

I know that I can donate cash, if I want, duh.  However, I don't plan to redeem points for the Foundation when the dollar amount given may be miniscule.  I don't know if is or not; they don't tell us!

AndrewToo
Periodic Contributor

Do you know if AARP rewards are taxable?  I have just read your post and saw the donation is not taxable. If you win an instant prize or redeem your points for a prize or a gift box is that taxable. Thanks

Social Butterfly

@en2576 

Hey en

No instant prizes & Sweeps & such are not taxable unless win over $600 ...basically same as with Lottery laws & such... If you win a large Sweeps or such they'll send you forms to fill out for tax purposes.

As far as posts here about not taxable...its in reference to Donations done with points are no longer taxable... as with old Rewards program the donation was listed as $5 value & was a taxable donation you could claim on your Income taxes filed each year but they stopped it as also stopped showing $5 value... Now you just donate points without knowing what amount Rewards program actually gives to AARP Foundation for your points

Hope this helps & gives answers you seeking

Enjoy your day! 

Ginger  :  >

Periodic Contributor

Thanks for getting back to me. Do you know if the total for the year of lottery winnings and gift boxes is over $600 will it be taxable?

0 Kudos
Social Butterfly

@en2576 

Hey I apologize for any confusion 'Lottery' was used as example 

There are no lotteries on AARP Rewards 

Just tried to inform you that any income $600+ any person makes from any source is considered a Taxable income for yearly income taxes you may file Usually a person will receive a 1099 Form or such if they are paid from any source a income above that amount

You say gift boxes? I'm not certain what you mean? Are you referring to 'Girlfriend's Comfort Boxes'can get for points? If so NO don't believe any valued that high

Anyway I'm sorry if haven't explained what answers you are seeking

Honestly I mainly came to post to make you aware that those who posted on this thread were talking about how we used to be able to claim our $5 donations of points as a donation to charity when we filed our yearly income taxes. BUT no longer can

Take care

Ginger :  } 

Social Butterfly

Really, all I ask is that the rewards program disclose the amount

that will be donated by each 4,000 point donation.  I don't think that

is too much to ask.  Do you? 

This information was reported in the past and it was $5 per 4,000 point

donation since current rewards program began.  What has changed?

Many people, apparently, don't care, but, how can we feel good about a point

gift when we have no idea how much money will be given to the Foundation

for their good work?

P.S. They have never been willing to tell us the total amount given to the

Foundation for a month or year from rewards point donations, it is another

rewards secret.

AndrewToo
0 Kudos
Social Butterfly

Well, the rewards program continues to "disclose" this:

"Disclosure

Your point contribution to support AARP Foundation will result in a payment from AARP to AARP Foundation. Your point contribution is not tax-deductible."

And, I continue refrain from donating points until they disclose the amount of the payment to the AARP Foundation.

Is the reward program ashamed of the amount that is contributed when we give points?  Would we be ashamed?

Just my thoughts and I'm frustrated,

AndrewToo
Social Butterfly

@andrewtoo 

Again sadly 😕😥🤔DITTO!

Have a blessed holiday season 🎄🎁🎆😍

Ginger ;  )

Social Butterfly

@gm5271 

Hey Ginger,

Thanks for your posts!

I realized that I could tag a moderator about this, but, I wondered about the opinions of rewards members.  The administrator could respond with the reason for their change (or not), but, I'm not giving anymore points until I see a dollar amount again.  They can't explain it away; I don't care what the reason, actually. 

Transparency is the answer.

Thanks again, Ginger, for the great posts.

AndrewToo
Social Butterfly

@andrewtoo 

!DITTO! 😥

Ginger  ;  ) 

Social Butterfly

@naxos Thanks for posting.

I have already searched the financials of both the Foundation and AARP the association for any sign of Rewards donations to the Foundation.  The amount given on our behaves is likely too small to be broken out separately and reported in the financials, considering the large dollar amounts of transfers to/from the organizations.  So, I have already given up searching them.

From my records, it appears I was first able to donate points in the current rewards program on January 7th, 2020.  The current rewards program began in the 4th quarter of 2019.  The prior rewards program had an option for point donations also, but, again, the total must be too small to have shown in the financial statements.

I would be satisfied to know how much is donated for each 4,000 point redemption and it be disclosed in the point redemption "tile" when I view it.

Thanks!

AndrewToo
Trusted Contributor

Social Butterfly

@naxos 

Hey Nax 

Thanks for your generosity and donations to AARP Foundation & for caring 

In older Rewards we always got an email thanking us for our $5  donation and it stated it was a tax deduction back then NOTE: Donations of points has been available since b4 my time here 10+years as I recall Usually members were given 1 or 2 opportunities a month at 1st of month & amount of points was also less then but also had less opportunities to earn points

But I along with others here were big promoters in driving support to this worthy cause (you could possibly read all our past posts in Rewards archives) Each month we waited & begged if necessary to get opportunity to donate and it always came 1st of month and sold out quickly.... from moderators posts we were made to believe there was a 'limit' each month that could be given from Rewards members. Several members asked about amount and such never were told back then either 😕

When new Rewards began it took several months b4 they got system setup for members to donate points for $5 donations and we still receive emails thanking us for $5 donation but stated no longer tax deduction

This year that all changed

I do believe it was an email that brought my attention to no longer having a $$ amount listed?? & also noticing lots more opportunities throughout month pop up which made me curious about it all. 🤔😕 

Also as you've noted used to be sold out within days now they linger...I know we no longer post support the way we used to but I personally don't think that's reason they linger way do...its seems something is amiss to me

Did the limit change? Are funds really being given? Or is it just a way to use our points? Without an amount -even $5- was a deal breaker for me 🤯

I also enjoyed the feeling of helping seniors & truly was my driving force to being a Rewards member...I miss that but also no desire give away points if its truly not being used as real donations to Foundation??? Its small to consider $10 a month($120 year) making a difference BUT with all members we have 1000's X $120 equals a great deal that should support a line in a financial statement and provide clarity but never has.

I researched years ago and again earlier this year when they removed $5 amount with no luck in finding answers we all seek 😞 

If a member is a friend of AARP Foundation (give cash donations) they get newsletters and such that they write about all the causes they do which are numerous (can read about on Foundation info pages) therefore its always been my understanding any monies donated go to support Foundation and all its causes : Hunger/Meals delivered/ Free Tax Prep / Work 50+/ many many more... not strictly to one purpose  Rewards now highlights the many programs supported in the points donations offers. 

I do wish someone would let us know what situation truly is 

@andrewtoo Andrew should we tag Teri & ask? Its your thread you started will let you decide

Thanks to all for all you do and being wonderful you! 

Ginger  ;  )

Trusted Contributor

Social Butterfly

@naxos 

Hi nax

Thanks

Oops! I'm known for writing books like the way I talk 😆🤩😯🤯

Ginger ;  )

0 Kudos
Social Butterfly

@a170938b 

Thank you for posting.

Unfortunately, this topic is not getting much traction.  All I want is the Rewards program to stop hiding the dollar amount given to the Foundation as the result of our points redemption.

This concealment is indeed bothersome; I hope the amount is still $5.

The AARP Rewards Administration may be scared to death that we, as adults, will try to claim the points contribution on our tax returns.  If that is the case, then I say, we by are by definition NOT CHILDREN and can heed the disclosure about lack of tax deductibility of the points redemption.

Otherwise, I would tend to believe that the donation is now less that $5 per points redemption.

Thanks, 

AndrewToo
Conversationalist

I am thinking that the $5 contributions that we thought we gave through our points might not have been real or not always so. You remember that a few months ago someone in this forum questioned the lack of transparency; and then came the change, i.e. the removal of the dollar amount (at least I think it might have been in this sequence). I find it unsettling that AARP seems to do its utmost effort to try to convince us of its lack of legitimacy. 

Social Butterfly

Hey Ginger,

Thanks for posting.😊

I too have tried to find information about the total (or any amount) that the rewards program actually donated to the Foundation on our behalf.  I searched the public financial statements and realized that there are large transfers of funds between AARP the association and AARP the foundation.  The transfer of funds, back and forth, between the organizations seems perfectly fine because they have a lot of common goals.

However, the points donation continues to become even more obscured by concealing the amount that will be donated for each of our 4,000 point redemptions.  It doesn't have to be this way;  AARP could choose to be transparent about both the dollar amount given to the Foundation for each 4,000 points and the total dollar amount for the entire rewards community.  The rewards program should be proud of how much we give!

I don't know what they have to hide.  But, I suspect that the amount given to the Foundation is less that $5 per redemption and could be much lower, I may be wrong; but how can we know?  As I mentioned before, I'm fed up with the lack of clarity and it seems to be getting worse.

Thanks again for your thoughtful comments @gm5271 

AndrewToo
Social Butterfly

@andrewtoo 

Indeed Andrew

For those reasons I no longer choose to do points donations... for very real possiblity that its giving up points and no real money being given for them... many other ways to waste points in Rewards program 

No doubt AARP gives monetary support and assistance to Foundation just no longer know if it includes additional $$ for our points .... sad 😞 thing always felt good to donate and be a part of making a difference 

Maybe someone will provide us some clarity ??? alot has changed 😞

Take care

Ginger  ;  )

Kudos
Views
Social Butterfly

@andrewtoo 

Hi Andrew

I noticed this many month's ago researched with no luck of any info about it other than a donation from AARP to Foundation no actual $$ amount info

Therefore I've no longer been doing donations with points since 1st noticed

I don't keep great stash of points so my past donations of up to 1/2 donations 4000/8000 points $5/$10 each month were big chunk of my monthly points earned 

It no longer seems to really be a true $$ donation ??? Possibly never was but I used to believe it was since had $5 listed & also used be a tax deduction(old rewards) but earlier this year they removed having any amount listed and also last couple months they've offered 4 or 5 opportunities which also seems wild to me since we used to have to beg to get one opportunity a month and was big deal if got 2 in a month

There are so many new members wouldn't be aware of old days

Wish way to know real deal about situation.... they changed it for some reason 🤔 & created many types they also no longer 'sell out' way used to... they'd be gone in matter of days... so something is definitely different??? What?? Anybody's guess??

I continue to support AARP Foundation just no longer with points/Rewards program.

Like you I'm also curious and bothered by the changes & wonder if it truly represents a true $$ donation ?? 😮🙄🙃😕

Have a beautiful day! 

Ginger  ;  )

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP