Get a newer and safer vehicle while saving money! Check out the AARP auto buying program.

Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: "Theme Names" in Families

Message 1 of 5

@Prosecco6247 - Jewish people aren't supposed to name a baby after a living relative, lest the Angel of Death be confused, and take the wrong "Jacob" or "Miriam"! So often the names skipped a generation, but even that may not work today, with most people living until their grandchildren are born. When they do name a child after a relative, if they're not thrilled with the person's English name, they may use any English derivative of their Hebrew name.

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 5

This is an interesting "theme!"  When I was in high school, there was a young man who rode the same school bus as I did...we were classmates.  His name was "John."  There were seven children in the family...6 boys and 1 girl.  Every child in the family had "John" as a first name...even the daughter!  She had a feminine middle name, however.  I would say they took a page out of George Foreman's book, but this was way before his time!

In the South, children are frequently named after a relative...at least one of their names.  There were 6 children in my family...5 younger brothers and me.  I was not named after a person, but my first and middle names were the title of a song.  (Both feminine names)

The brother after me was named after our dad...becoming the III.  Next brother named after two uncles...father's side + mother's side.  Third brother, same.  Fourth brother, same, Fifth brother, a name my mother liked + her maiden name.

I know many women who were named a feminine first name + the mother's maiden name and they are called by both names.  If there are two or more girls, the naming is done similarly with the second daughter having the father's mother's maiden name and can go on as long as there is a relative to honor.  I usually see it stop after 2 or 3 and go to two girls' names.

One thing I learned doing genealogy came from my husband's family who were Loyalist soldiers during the Revolutionary War...brought over from Germany to fight for the King.

The naming patterns were that the first son was named after his father.  The second son was named after the father as well but the names were reversed.  Johann George would name his first son Johann George and his second son George Johann.  

I learned, doing genealogy research as well, that most of my mother's family were named after relatives.  (They were Scots)  I used to wonder where some of the names came from...if they were popular at the time of the child's birth, but after going through all of those records, the names would pop up with great regularity, a generation or two back!

I know a family where the son is named "Jack" and the daughter, whose given name is something else, is nicknamed "Jill."

I like theme names...I have one little dog named "Rocky" and the other dog is named "Adrian."  (Yo! Adrian..."Rocky" movies)

"Never succumb to the temptation of bitterness." ~ Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 5

I wonder how the children feel about their names, if they're close in age, and everyone in school knows the pattern. Or when they grow up. Some patterns are just nice traditions, others can seem a bit strange.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 5

I had a friend named Paul. His parents named the kids, in order, Peter, Paul, and Mary.

I went to high school with triplet boys named after the Kennedys. John, Joe, and Robert. Their middle names were Kennedy.

And one friend whose name name started with TRA and so did her husband's. So she kept that pattern for all four kids.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views
Replies

"Theme Names" in Families

Message 5 of 5

Do any of you have relatives or friends, who had a theme for naming their children? Kind of like "Keeping Up Appearances", where there are 4 sisters named for flowers: Hyacinth, Daisy, Rose & Violet.

Years ago I had a friend who had 6 children, and they all had the same initials DBM. Another named his sons after the Apostles.

Kudos
Views
Replies