Getting ready to enroll in Medicare? AARP’s Medicare Made Easy has the resources you need to help you make the right choices.

Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Your Favorite Christmas/Holiday Memories

Message 31 of 33

@Epster wrote:

Oh not so much. The overwhelming, I mean.  

I'm possibly the least sentimental person on the planet, for one, but my upbringing didn't lend itself to either deep roots or family traditions, so I've always been free to do what I like in terms of events, foods, decorations and observations.

>

Sometimes I put up ten or more artificial, various sizes, Christmas trees around the house. This year I built a Christmas tree out of a 5' tomato cage (inverted), a whole lotta garland and LED lights, put it on a round glass topped table with an ornate base, and hung (among other things) about 500 glass icicles on it. Shimmery! Fun! 

>

Merry Christmas, everyone!  Enjoy your traditions (or lack thereof).

Great list!   The tree that you built sounds beautiful.  I would love to see a picture of it if you post one!

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Re: Your Favorite Christmas/Holiday Memories

Message 32 of 33

Oh not so much. The overwhelming, I mean.  

I'm possibly the least sentimental person on the planet, for one, but my upbringing didn't lend itself to either deep roots or family traditions, so I've always been free to do what I like in terms of events, foods, decorations and observations.

Many times I've been part of a public chorale performance for the holidays. Many times I've served in the soup kitchen for the holidays. Once or twice I took a vacation for the holidays. There have been years I didn't decorate. There have been years when I went completely nuts with decorations covering everything from wall switch plates to door knobs with holiday cheer. I've baked literally dozens of cheesecakes and given them away. I've bought chickens, goats and pigs for African families. I've eschewed the whole gift giving thing. I've decorated the church from rafters to basement, planned a week's worth of special religious events, gone caroling at rest homes and mailed hundreds of greeting cards.

One time, when we were young, I cooked a buffet breakfast for friends who were unable to go home for the holidays. I printed up menus, sent out invitations and turned my home into a restaurant for the day. That was a lot of work, but a total blast.

Sometimes I put up ten or more artificial, various sizes, Christmas trees around the house. This year I built a Christmas tree out of a 5' tomato cage (inverted), a whole lotta garland and LED lights, put it on a round glass topped table with an ornate base, and hung (among other things) about 500 glass icicles on it. Shimmery! Fun! 

We're considering a redux of the Thanksgiving feast (pork chops stuffed with apples, onions, raisins and cooked in apple sauce; roasted root crops; pumpkin pie made with coconut milk, et cetera), though for a few years have had a wild food fest on Christmas. We'll see. Smiley Happy

Merry Christmas, everyone!  Enjoy your traditions (or lack thereof).

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views
Replies

Your Favorite Christmas/Holiday Memories

Message 33 of 33

December is here and holiday preparations are in full swing.  If you are like me, these days and the holiday preparations bring back so many memories of family celebrations in the past that sometimes it is overwhelming. 

What are your favorite holiday memories ?

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Kudos
Views
Replies