You can help to pick the winner of the 2018 Movies for Grownups Readers' Choice award! Vote now for your favorite film.

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: You Know You Are A Baby Boomer Because...

Message 51 of 120

I'm OLD !!  Smiley Happy ..........plus, of course, born in '46............but hey, I STILL look like I'm about 48-50, so I'm told !!  Still got the legs !!

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 52 of 120

If you watched Howdy Doody, Roy Rogers, The Lone Ranger on Tv as kid and Bandstand every afternoon after school.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 53 of 120

Lots of good posts here but nobody seemed to mention 

• watching Neil Armstrong take man's first steps on the moon
  • senior pictures were headshots where the boys wore suits and the girls wore a simple black sweater
  • postage stamps cost a nickle
  • candy bars cost a nickle, not $1.79
  • The Flying Nun and Captain Kangaroo
  • mom always had dinner on the table when dad came home from work and dinner was a family event
  • parents didn't pick random Scrabble tiles to name their children
  • bi-racial couples were unheard of and "queers" stayed in the closet
  • you remember when they added the smell to natural gas

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 54 of 120
didn't have Beatles, but I loved going up in an all black community where everyone in the community knew everyone. My teachers lived on my block, I could come home for lunch, if ever I go in trouble my parents knew it when I came home, same school from first grade to twelve, it was an expectation that we would go to college.
I miss that for the children today. That protected cocoon.
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 55 of 120

You have seen clothing go around in circles, manufacturers are giving them new names as "capri" they are paddlepushers.  The youngmen are wearing "tabered" slacks....look at a old Motown performance from the 60's, the same type of pants and pointed toe shoes!!!

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 56 of 120

I was a pre-boomer with benefits.  Mother said that I thought up, created and caused the baby boom in order to make my 1 and 3-years-older sisters jealous.  I was born in a hospital because all the doctors were gone to war and they stopped making house calls.  My first and second grade classes were in a brand new building at the same old school.  Third grade was in yet another brand new building.  My class graduated from a brand new high school building.  I had all sorts of advantages that they missed out on.  I even married and had babies earlier than they.  Competition is the pits.  I'm innocent, I tell you!  Innocent!!! 

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 57 of 120

You know right where you were when you heard your first Beatles song:  MIne:  "I want to hold your hand" played on the radio and I was in my bedroom before school one day.  I knew then there was something different about that song.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 58 of 120

When pre-teen kids are pried away from the electronics and sent outside or in the basement to play, they easily resort to using old appliance boxes, blankets, sticks, etc. for play.  And then I smile.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 59 of 120

I didn't start wearing pants (except for play and cleaning) until the early 70's when we were first allowed to wear pant suits to work in Baltimore.  That's a good memory.  When I become frustrated with the electronics and need to ask the younger folks how to do something with an I phone, etc., I explain that I started working when we only had carbon paper and ditto machines and that puts it into perspective for me.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 60 of 120

We wern't allowed to wear pants to school at least not in MN. Dresses and skirts only! Snow pants and guloshes came off as soon as we hit the classroom doors.

Mom had to pay for our books for high school and because of that you kept track of them and returned them at the end of the year.

There were ALOT of dirt roads, in the city! If you were caught necking or drinking you were taken home to your parents by the police instead of the juvenile justice system of today that seems to make our young people criminals for life.

You remember your dad rolling the "color TV" down the hall to your parents room to watch Johnny Carson everynight!

Kudos
Views