You could save on auto insurance when you complete the AARP Smart Driver course! Get a free phone charging set with promo code AARP6.

Recognized Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: You Know You Are A Baby Boomer Because...

Message 31 of 138

When you made a purchase, you were given green stamps to put into a book and when the book was full, you could turn it in for an item you picked out of a catalog.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 32 of 138

Bought a gallon of gas with my last quarter following a date with my girlfriend-wife to be.  Got home, went to bed -- Dad ran out of gas in the morning.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 33 of 138

When Dad fixed the TV by taking bulbs out of the bsck of the TV and got replacements at the hardware store.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 34 of 138

Does anyone know what dating site to use to meet men in my case.  I also would like to meet women to have some new friends.     reinhardtg@comcast.net

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 35 of 138

Hot Wheels, GI Joe, and Mad Magazine!

Mowing lawns, collecting bottles, and washing cars to pay for them.

Cutting my hair, putting on a tie, and using a firm hand shake to get my first job.

Walking out the door, enjoying the unexpected simple pleasures, and feeling normal without a cellphone.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 36 of 138

i remember the feeling that we could change the world to a more tolerant and inclusive and kind place. in many ways i have seen this actualized and for this i am grateful. i still worry about the world and disturbed by the current gun violence but, i have seen a change for the better. we have become a lot more tolerant of differences in people, that is what makes us interesting. the hope that we can all get along still is paramount to our survival, growth and development as a society. i am a liberal and have always been a liberal and am very proud of being a liberal. let us work toward acceptance of one another.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 37 of 138

outside toilet, water from pump outside, crank telephone w/ # 347-J22 - 13 people on our line

single mother worked 6 days week at hospital secretary @ $75/month

never had a substitute school teacher but 3 times in 12 years

never any daytime AM radio; only after dark. never heard of FM radio.

1 tv channel and often too fuzzy to view

first car '36 chevy coupe @ 13 yr - $65; hauling cattle in large 2 ton truck on highway over the mountains to stock yards @ 14 1/2 yr

my only access to 45rpm records was in the WVa mountain beer joint where i partly grew up. i had no access to rock and roll records otherwise.

it was Little Richard, Johnny Cash, Jerry Lee Lewis which has affected my professional career as an "old time [18th C.] banjo instructor".  Elvis offered nothing but dead music to me.

the beatles were played at stroke of midnight January 1st 1964 on WLS & WBZ  i was a senior in high school working as a night clerk in local hotel from 11pm-6am @ $1 a night. there were no jobs otherwise.

i remember bottling 'home brew' after school on 11/22/'63

this is how it was for this un-urban boomer here in the mountains

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 38 of 138

Sing along with the 60s stuff? Heck! I sing along with the 50s stuff! (We're havin' fun, sittin' in the back seat, kissin' and a'huggin' with Fred!)

We drew moustaches on the campaign posters of Dwight Eisenhower and Henry Cabot Lodge.

25¢ bought me a small bag FULL of penny candy (Lick-em-Ade, Double Bubble, jaw breakers, wax lips, Smarties, etc.).

After school: Huckleberry Hound, Rocky & Bullwinkle

Saturday morning: Sky King, My Friend Flicka, Superman

Evening TV: Walt Disney's Wonderful World of Color; Ed Sullivan; Bonanza; Twilight Zone; Have Gun, Will Travel; Zorro; Maverick; The Rifleman; Cheyenne; Wyatt Earp; Tombstone Territory; Perry Como; Danny Kaye; Hit Parade; Outer Limits, Alfred Hitchcock

Movies: Living Desert, White Wilderness, Lady & the Tramp, Cinderalla, Old Yeller, Fantasia, etc.(Thank you, Walt Disney!); War and Peace; Gigi; Funny Face; The Friendly Persuasion, The Apartment (Thank you, William Wyler!); The Birds, Rear Window, North By Northwest, Psycho (Thank you, Alfred Hitchcock!), Ben Hurr, The 10 Commandments, The Bible (Thank you, Cecil B. DeMille!)

Crawling under my desk at school and covering my face to practice how to die in a nucelar attack.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 39 of 138

We remember when they pumped your gas, checked your oil, cleaned your windows, gave you stamps towards gifts and a free glass!

We also remember when it was fun to fly and had leg room! 

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 40 of 138

You remember how exciting it was to get the FIRST color TV on the block!

You remember when there was one phone in the family, and it was attached to the kitchen wall!

You remember growing up hearing about space program activities.

You always knew where your skate key was, 'cuz you couldn't go skating without it!

You got to dress up for friends' birthday parties.

You remember new black and white saddle shoes for school every fall. Sigh...

You remember watching the Mickey Mouse Club and wishing you were just like those kids!

Kudos
Views