Is your 'stuff' stressing you out? TV personality Matt Paxton has tips for downsizing and decluttering in our free, two-part webinar! Register now.

Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: You Know You Are A Baby Boomer Because...

Message 91 of 138

You made sure you were in front of a color TV on Sunday nights to watch Bonanza!

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 92 of 138

I remember when TV had only 3 channels and went off at midnight.  You could sleep with your doors unlocked and open and cigerettes were $0.26! The riots in DC when Martin Luther was assinated.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 93 of 138

You begin to feel that going back to paper and pencil would be a hell of a lot easier than using all this high-tech nonsense being introduced today.

Similar to American cars, all this high-tech equipment being used today has obviously been designed with planned obsolescence in mind. These days everything seems to be designed to break down and cost consumers more money in the end due to inferior design, regular software updates that mess your equipment up more after you install them, and especially viruses. Come to think of it, it wouldn't surprise me if the companies that sell us these computers were the culprits introducing these very viruses,

Trojan horses, spam and other malware that eventually annoys everyone into a frenzy and into our wallets and keeps computer companies and techs accustomed to a highly lucritive business and lifestyle.

Why can't America just build a decent computer and car that works for more than just a few years without making you need to replace it? I can't tell how many times I've wanted to take my computer devices to the tallest builing so I can drop it off and watch it smash into a million pieces. Oh, and have I menioned how much I believe too much of this alleged "good thing" has destroyed the family? I'm thankful my kids are grown and though some damage was done in my opinion with video games and in the introduction of cellular phones late in latter part of their upbringing, I am not very impressed with the generations coming forward, For Chrissake, I grew up without a spell checker and turned out just fine. For that matter I had to go to the library and actually read books AND I SURVIVED!

Okay, thanks for letting me vent. Paper and pen or pencil and ol' fashioned letter writing is really beginning to sound great right about now! Smiley Very Happy

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 94 of 138

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 95 of 138
U know u are s baby boomer when u listen to blue n stead or rap
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 96 of 138

RonnieSteve5852:  I love the photos, especially the one of the girls, although this looks like an all-girl's school and my school was co-ed.  We were not allowed to wear slacks or jeans,  Even in college we could only wear slacks or jeans in the art department or for PE.  If we needed to go between class and the dorm we either had to change clothes first or put a raincoat on over the pants and people would pretend they didn't notice the leggs sticking out.  It was a badge of honor to be a member of the art department and we would make it a point to get paint on our pants.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 97 of 138
I miss those days. Life was good !
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 98 of 138
Having a pedal car made of sturdier stuff than the 'grown up' cars today.
I remember Beatles, JFK - especially the funeral (my father died the year prior), Malcolm X, MLK, Bobby Kennedy's speech the night of Dr King's death & oh so well his own assassination only 2 months later. I was such an admirer of his though only 11 when he died. I had a dream about his death & was crying so hard that Mom came to wake me & looked at the clock. It was the same time he died. I've been disillusioned ever since.
I remember some WW II vets being in their 40s, alienated Viet Nam vets & seeing the war on TV.
Laugh-In, The Smothers Brothers, later the magnificent Monty Python's Flying Circus.
Drinking when I was 17 because everyone thought I was 18. Cars made before, during & after 'wings.' No seatbelts, no air bags, turning knobs on skinny steering wheels, gas wars meaning who would sell it for the cheapest pump price. Watching women's spike heels sink into the ground, Nehru jackets, go-go boots, cullottes, my first transistor radio, a one piece record player & 45s in various colors.
This is creeping me out Smiley Happy
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 99 of 138

O MY Jaypack1.................how you brought back memories.  We also had a station wagon, a swing set in the backyard, and made covers for our school books out of brown paper bags.....I had forgot...thanks for those memories!!

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 100 of 138

You KNOW you are a baby boomer when you remember plastic that covered your "couch" and your big chair.  It was only taken off when company was coming.  Also remember having party lines on the rotary phones and NO area codes, phone numbers where I was from (Denver) started with two letters, then a number, then the four numbers afterward..........oh my!! 

Kudos
Views